F1 2021

Gaspode

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Givn the last interesting season was Rosberg v Lewis a few years back it's great that it's competetive. Momentum is with Verstappen at the moment but it's a long season adn Merc and Lewis are serious about their game to not have a swing back. I thing Red bull will probably be stong the next two, but I think Silverstone will be a key race.

I was thinking the same,I was an unashamed rosberg fan (as I was of his dad) and that was a cracking last season,in fact the last good one prior to this one i.m.o ?

I'm an unapologetic Hamilton fan but completely understand that people want to see some change of faces. Verstappen has been outstanding in a previously inferior car and is now being outstanding in a superior car and good on him, a champion in waiting without a doubt.

My only slight regret is that we are not seeing a gradual shift in power and lots of wheel to wheel battles between Max and Lewis, just a passing of the baton, for this season at least. Red Bull have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with their car for this year and reinforced it with good upgrades but Mercedes are standing still and Toto Wolff basically said that all their efforts were going into next years car so I don't expect Mercedes to close what seems to be a widening gap, even since the start of the season.

I'm sure that Lewis will wring all that he can out of his car but just as Max has experienced in recent years, sometimes you just find that you are outgunned and all your skills will not be able to close that gap sufficiently. I'd expect Hamilton to still be around the front row or two but any wins will surely be down to Red Bull getting a strategy call wrong or race circumstances with crashes and safety cars etc because all things being equal, this Red Bull is a great piece of kit that as it stands is just better than the Mercedes and with a driver of Max's quality at the wheel, he'll not be throwing anybody any lifelines and I really think he'll win this year at a canter.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

I'm an unapologetic Hamilton fan but completely understand that people want to see some change of faces. Verstappen has been outstanding in a previously inferior car and is now being outstanding in a superior car and good on him, a champion in waiting without a doubt.

My only slight regret is that we are not seeing a gradual shift in power and lots of wheel to wheel battles between Max and Lewis, just a passing of the baton, for this season at least. Red Bull have pulled a rabbit out of the hat with their car for this year and reinforced it with good upgrades but Mercedes are standing still and Toto Wolff basically said that all their efforts were going into next years car so I don't expect Mercedes to close what seems to be a widening gap, even since the start of the season.

I'm sure that Lewis will wring all that he can out of his car but just as Max has experienced in recent years, sometimes you just find that you are outgunned and all your skills will not be able to close that gap sufficiently. I'd expect Hamilton to still be around the front row or two but any wins will surely be down to Red Bull getting a strategy call wrong or race circumstances with crashes and safety cars etc because all things being equal, this Red Bull is a great piece of kit that as it stands is just better than the Mercedes and with a driver of Max's quality at the wheel, he'll not be throwing anybody any lifelines and I really think he'll win this year at a canter.

We've had Bahrain, Portugal, Spain and to some extent France as direct head-to-head battles. Yesterday was the first time that Verstappen was clearly in front of Hamilton. Plenty to look forward to still!

The gap between Verstappen/Perez and Hamilton/Bottas is scary. At each race, they're essentially fast enough to have an extra pitstop on their team-mates. 

Hamilton has proven that he doesn't need the outright fastest car to win, but neither does Verstappen. I know it's disappointing that Mercedes are seemingly falling behind, but I still think it will ebb and flow. Hamilton typically hits his best form - and set up - in the second half of the season.

Edited by Duracell

Oh I'm definitely still enjoying it, I just think it was closer at the start of the season but I guess what I am seeing is a gap seems to be emerging and I don't think that Mercedes have a plan for this season to close that so I suspect that the last race will become more the norm than some of the closer races earlier on. Agree completely re the gap between the drivers. Max and Lewis manage to wring out every last bit from their cars and that's what makes the difference. I just hope that Mercedes can make a few tweaks to give Hamilton a car that will keep him in the mix rather than just hoping for a Verstappen/Red Bull mistake.

I've been really looking forward to a point where we have such parity in the cars that it's a nail-biter every race but the needle just seems to have swung a little too far the other way as it stands. Hope I'm wrong, I really want to see these two going at each other.

The headline act was decisive from Red bull/max.

And yes, the gap between the contenders and the also rans is startling. Perez is no mug and spent the best part of ten years dragging points and the odd podium out of force indias but put him next to Lewis and max and wow.

But still the rest of the race was far more interesting, gutted for Russell, great drive from Norris, good weekend for Ferrari, go Yuki! Didn't majorly bin it! Points again for Fernando. Ocon has developed "contract signed syndrome"

Didn't watch yesterday's race as it was obvious Verstappen was going to win again, it's a cert he is going to become the F1 World Champion this season unless something really drastic happens. Reminds me of when Alonso came along to challenge the dominant Michael Schumacher is it the changing of the guard in F1? 

5 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Didn't watch yesterday's race as it was obvious Verstappen was going to win again, it's a cert he is going to become the F1 World Champion this season unless something really drastic happens. Reminds me of when Alonso came along to challenge the dominant Michael Schumacher is it the changing of the guard in F1? 

Well, Lewis has signed up for two more years and big regulation changes next year, so next season will likely be a better gauge of if the power is shifting in a big way.

Yeah, verstappen scuttled off into the distance but there was a lot of other racing going on. Lando Norris was excellent, Russell had a great duel with Alonso for 10th, Perez sucked all race, Lewis wrecked the cars underside and dropped back, the Ferrari cars both made good progress.

Overall it was one of the more boring races so far this season and it is looking like max/red bull are going to walk it, but there's all sorts of competition and racing going on down the field. McLaren are looking not just 3rd best but like they can interfere with the too two teams from time to time, Ferrari are not far off McLaren, alpha tauri and alpine are also closely matched, Aston Martin are improving. 

13 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got tickets for the F1 at Silverstone this w/e cheapo (ish) ones, not in the stands. Never been so dont really know where to go, where to stand, food, time to get there etc...

any tips greatly appreciated, thanks

I've never been to the new layout but did go one year with my dad (2006 i think, Alonso winning everything the year we went). Enjoy, it's an amazing spectical in person. I was amazed at how you can really focus in and see the detail of who is driving smothly, agressivly, who has a good balance, who is fighting the car etc through the spot you're wating at.

getting in and out the track took forever. I'd suggest the best thing is to try to get the full day's worth and head down early, there will be quality support races before the grand prix and you'll be able to find a spot better.

food and drink wise there are bars and typical food vans etc, all will be busy, all will be more expensive than they're worth. we took some picknic with us and that was ok.

Merch on sale inside the track will be astronmically expensive (like make you wonder how the dcfc megastore oporate on wafer thin margins expensive).

take some ear buds. I know they've toned it down since the v10 days but f1 cars are still quite loud.

I think there's banking for general access tickets along from the end of copse and down to hanger strait but apart from that I don't know for the new layout.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've never been to the new layout but did go one year with my dad (2006 i think, Alonso winning everything the year we went). Enjoy, it's an amazing spectical in person. I was amazed at how you can really focus in and see the detail of who is driving smothly, agressivly, who has a good balance, who is fighting the car etc through the spot you're wating at.

getting in and out the track took forever. I'd suggest the best thing is to try to get the full day's worth and head down early, there will be quality support races before the grand prix and you'll be able to find a spot better.

food and drink wise there are bars and typical food vans etc, all will be busy, all will be more expensive than they're worth. we took some picknic with us and that was ok.

Merch on sale inside the track will be astronmically expensive (like make you wonder how the dcfc megastore oporate on wafer thin margins expensive).

take some ear buds. I know they've toned it down since the v10 days but f1 cars are still quite loud.

I think there's banking for general access tickets along from the end of copse and down to hanger strait but apart from that I don't know for the new layout.

Thanks appreciate it. Can you just walk around the circuit to find a spot then ?

12 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got tickets for the F1 at Silverstone this w/e cheapo (ish) ones, not in the stands. Never been so dont really know where to go, where to stand, food, time to get there etc...

any tips greatly appreciated, thanks

It really depends on what you are looking for.

If you are after atmosphere and a sort of 'sea of humanity,' then the huge spectator banking between Stowe and Club corner is a good shout. You won't need to get there so early and there's a screen you can see as well and if you want to get onto the track for the podium ceremony this is the place to be. The drawback is you won't be as close to the cars and the banking is a little shallow.

If you are able to get there very early - I'm talking waiting for the gates to open - then by far the most impressive place to watch a modern F1 car is the Maggots/Becketts complex. It's high-speed and twisty and you can really see the downforce at work, and you're close to the cars. There is nowhere else like it anywhere in the world.

There's also the Wellington Straight/Luffield complex but there's no banking here, so not really the best view. Around Luffield itself there is some banking, but I believe you have to have an upgraded ticket to view from there.

Make sure you head to that part after the race! Lots of great food and great beer and the concert is free. 

Oh, and deffo bring a chair! I last went in 2019 and my girlfriend absolutely insisted that she didn't need one. Guess who brought a chair and had to give it up....

Have a great time!

Edited by Duracell

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Forgot to mention, @EtoileSportiveDeDerby, that last time I went I took the train and then got a taxi to the circuit. The taxi driver at Northampton station said he knew a back road which would save us an hour, and having been to Silverstone dozens of times growing up, I thought "yeah right." But he genuinely did know a backroad, from which he picked us up after. Managed to get from track back to the station in 30 mins. Worth considering!

This has got better. Maybe it's because I live in London or because I go to lots of concerts/gigs, but kind of feels like food stalls and beer in general has inflated to the point where it's caught up with Silverstone prices.

Totally agree about making the support races. F2 can be really entertaining.

14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Forgot to mention, @EtoileSportiveDeDerby, that last time I went I took the train and then got a taxi to the circuit. The taxi driver at Northampton station said he knew a back road which would save us an hour, and having been to Silverstone dozens of times growing up, I thought "yeah right." But he genuinely did know a backroad, from which he picked us up after. Managed to get from track back to the station in 30 mins. Worth considering!

This has got better. Maybe it's because I live in London or because I go to lots of concerts/gigs, but kind of feels like food stalls and beer in general has inflated to the point where it's caught up with Silverstone prices.

Totally agree about making the support races. F2 can be really entertaining.

Thanks for that. We are doing park and ride which looking online seems to be working well. If you don't get there early doors (my son might struggle with that), do you just end up 50 people deep essentially ?

8 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Thanks for that. We are doing park and ride which looking online seems to be working well. If you don't get there early doors (my son might struggle with that), do you just end up 50 people deep essentially ?

It depends where you want to go. If you can't get there too early, you'll probably struggle to get near the front of Maggots/Becketts. But elsewhere, like the banking between Stowe and Copse, you actually get a better view further back anyway.

I arrived at 10.30am and that was fine.