F1 2021

Gaspode

9 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Hamilton should never have been allowed to race after the restart,he knew that by taking out his main opponent the race would be his and he would close the points on said opponent.How he calls himself an englishman puzzles me,do English men cheat ?

Ridiculous statement. Nobody is arguing that, not even Red Bull.

The debate is whether the move was too risky. It’s not possible at that speed to crash in a way that takes out your opponent and leaves you with a minor scratch at that speed.

Horner and Verstappens bleating afterwards annoyed me.

Both drivers were pushing it, in this instance Max came off worse. Had it been Lewis in the wall Horner would be noshing Max off for being brave and uncompromising in pursuit of a world championship.

It's racing. If you want drivers to push each other this is what can happen. You can't go swimming without getting wet.

12 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

No sure if that was played on c4/sky but on the F1 radio. There was a really funny exchange between toto wolf and Lewis following the crash and deliberation between the assessors. Toto said "Lewis I sent you an email re. Some points of regulation Lewis replied "I don't read my emails when I am racing". Superb. 

I believe that was between Toto Wolff and Michael Masi, the race director. Still funny - the race director is nothing to do with the steward's decision. Him and Christian Horner peppering him with complaints is a little like when managers crowd the fourth official in football. He can't do anything!

Where did you end up watching from?

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I believe that was between Toto Wolff and Michael Masi, the race director. Still funny - the race director is nothing to do with the steward's decision. Him and Christian Horner peppering him with complaints is a little like when managers crowd the fourth official in football. He can't do anything!

Where did you end up watching from?

Vale on the bank with a great view of Club I 'll ask my son when he gets up but it sounded like Lewis answering but with the noise around i could well be wrong. Everybody was laughing and shaking their heads. Best week end, i have had for bloody ages. 

16 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Vale on the bank with a great view of Club I 'll ask my son when he gets up but it sounded like Lewis answering but with the noise around i could well be wrong. Everybody was laughing and shaking their heads. Best week end, i have had for bloody ages. 

Really glad to hear it mate! It's genuinely awesome to hear of people having a good time given the past 18 months we've had, no matter how jealous I am.

Decided to forgo the Grand Prix and go bigger and risk Le Mans tickets. Sadly looks like I can't travel.

Just after the incident, Sky showed the view from Verstapen's car where you could quite clearly see his steering wheel - he began to turn into the corner, realised Hamilton was there and starightened - and then turned in anyway. Effectively he decided that rather than back off or run wide he'd force Hamilton to yield - Hamilton had already committed to the move so to my mind Verstapen paid the price for being over agressive. Should have been called a racing Incident but it seems to me that the stewards have become a bit power crazy this season - way too many penalties being applied which is actually having a negative effect on the races....

As for Red Bull - Horner, their chief engineer, and their owner all bleating like a bunch of 5 year olds (including demands that Hamilton should be suspended for a race) - ironic that when Max had previously carried out a similar move to Hamilton's, Horner had taken to social media to crow about what a great bit of driving it was....utterly classless team and will have lost a lot of public support with their constant whinging.....

Both drivers were to blame, one or both of them was going in to a wall the way they were going at it.

It was unlucky for Max, had he yielded the position I think he'd have won the race on outright pace anyway so he didn't need to go as balls out as he did. Lewis kind of 'had' to do it, Max didn't. However, once you have committed to the fight don't start moaning when you come off second best.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Both drivers were to blame, one or both of them was going in to a wall the way they were going at it.

It was unlucky for Max, had he yielded the position I think he'd have won the race on outright pace anyway so he didn't need to go as balls out as he did. Lewis kind of 'had' to do it, Max didn't. However, once you have committed to the fight don't start moaning when you come off second best.

This has been brewing since Bahrain. You're right, it was always going to happen. 

The people most at blame are probably those who came up with Lewis' strategy. He had one lap or two laps to get past Verstappen. He was essentially instructed to take a huge risk.

Not that anyone has to be blamed for an accident in the world's fastest motor sport.

29 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Lewis Hamilton is the best driver of all time. 

8 times winner of British Gran Prix 

He's one of the best. It's always difficult to compare between eras, the cars and regs are different now to when Schumacher was dominant, but when Schumacher was dominant it was different to the Senna/Prost years, which were different to Jackie Stewart or Jim Clarke's time. 

He is an all time great. Possibly the greatest, his shout is as good as anyone's and better than probably everyone's.

Not a Hamilton fan, but racing incident - about 60/40 Hamilton's fault. Thankfully Verstappen is OK. Think the penalty was about right, I might have gone as harsh as a drive through, and as lenient as no action so 10 second penalty seems fair.

Didn't think the sprint race added anything as a TV viewer and actually diminished a good qualifying, so jury's still out for me.

Gutted for LeClerc that he couldn't hang on, but he made a mistake and was punished for it. Great drive all the same.

Good weekend for McLaren too. Norris 3rd in the Championship - exceptional performance if he finishes the season there.

Hungary next which is one of Hamilton's best tracks, but a Red Bull favoured layout. Title battle very much still on.

Also, Sebastian Vettel is just a great guy.

Edited by JoetheRam

23 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Not a Hamilton fan, but racing incident - about 60/40 Hamilton's fault. Thankfully Verstappen is OK. Think the penalty was about right, I might have gone as harsh as a drive through, and as lenient as no action so 10 second penalty seems fair.

Didn't think the sprint race added anything as a TV viewer and actually diminished a good qualifying, so jury's still out for me.

Gutted for LeClerc that he couldn't hang on, but he made a mistake and was punished for it. Great drive all the same.

Good weekend for McLaren too. Norris 3rd in the Championship - exceptional performance if he finishes the season there.

Hungary next which is one of Hamilton's best tracks, but a Red Bull favoured layout. Title battle very much still on.

Also, Sebastian Vettel is just a great guy.

Agree with every word of this.

16 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I am Not even English or a Hamilton fan but top top racing drivers would never pull out. Senna, schumi, Mansel. Only saw it on the big screens at the race but he did the same to leclerc and it worked OK. Verstappen is destined for the top he would have done the same

Exactly, Hamilton is nothing different to others, remember all too well how Schumer would try and often succeed to barge his way through. Hamilton wasn’t as aggressive at him in this instance, it was a racing incident with 10 seconds maybe a fair enough cop. That he won after that, showed how brilliant a driver he is.

15 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

At worst Hamilton was 60/40 to blame. Max bumping wheels with him in earlier corners. At least 3 times this season Max has nearly caused accidents with Lewis but Lewis backed out. Racing incident with Lewis slightly more at fault. Thought penalty was slightly harsh but all in all the stewards got it about right. Unfortunately it’s resulted in a bad accident for Max but thankfully he’s ok, but it’s racing and there is danger.

I think the reaction from Red Bull and Max has been completely disgraceful (Horner has gone down in my estimations massively and Max behaving like the petulant child as usual) additionally the racial abuse Hamilton has received on social media despicable. 

The 99th win of his career and definitely one of his best.

Horner came across as not just fighting his corner but doing so as a petulant spoilt kid; which is why he got jeers from the crowd immediately after.

Anyway, you pretty nailed it for me.

What a great weekend, just wish Russell would score.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Exactly, Hamilton is nothing different to others, remember all too well how Schumer would try and often succeed to barge his way through. Hamilton wasn’t as aggressive at him in this instance, it was a racing incident with 10 seconds maybe a fair enough cop. That he won after that, showed how brilliant a driver he is.

Horner came across as not just fighting his corner but doing so as a petulant spoilt kid; which is why he got jeers from the crowd immediately after.

Anyway, you pretty nailed it for me.

What a great weekend, just wish Russell would score.

I'm sure George doesn't have too much trouble scoring - good looking lad armed with the phrase "Hi, I'm a racing driver" should just about nail it....?

6 hours ago, Duracell said:

This has been brewing since Bahrain. You're right, it was always going to happen. 

The people most at blame are probably those who came up with Lewis' strategy. He had one lap or two laps to get past Verstappen. He was essentially instructed to take a huge risk.

Not that anyone has to be blamed for an accident in the world's fastest motor sport.

I think you are wrong - the strategy most likely to work for Lewis was exactly what he was attempting. I don't believe Mercedes actively instructed him to take greater risks, he inherently understood the importance of getting past Max ASAP!  To be honest this has been brewing for a while and it's no bad thing that Max has been given a sharp lesson in track bullying. All to often Max has been instrumental in poor racing/bullying in close quarters. I am happy that Lewis has shown Max that when push comes to shove in this tight competition this year, that he will not back down! In the past because Lewis has always had commanding championship leads he has not felt it necessary to show Max such a street racer mentality. As it stands this year, Max seems to have the upper hand and NOW may think twice about tangling with Lewis. Because if he comes off worst in them he could potentially be throwing away one of his best chances to win a world title.

Do I believe he will modify his arrogance in close quarter racing - Not a bit, we shall see