F1 2021

Gaspode

Really good race yesterday, as was the previous round.  It's typical that as soon as we get 4-5 teams that can shine each week when they're 100% on it, and we've got a really good season, that it's threatened to disappear with all the new regs next year.  

I think yesterday was an example of Lewis having a little too much power at Mercedes.  Instead of arguing the toss whether to come in or not he should've listened to the team and come in when told.  Admittedly he may have dropped back in behind Gasly and lost a couple of laps while the tires got in the window but with his ability he could've clawed it back with a few extra laps.  I know he isn't 7 time world champ for nothing and he's a master when it comes to managing his rubber but he'll be the first to admit that he wouldn't have been so successful without great strategists in his ear.  

Still it makes for a hell of a season.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Can't wait for Sunday and the United States Grand Prix in Austin let's hope Mercedes have the best car on the day and hopefully Lewis can retain the championship lead. 

I like the COTA track and it's one where Lewis always goes well, it's going to be interesting to see which car is better. Merc will certainly have the edge in on the long straits but I could see the red bull being strong through the esses in sector 1.

It's getting towards the end game with just 6 races left, and it's a question of the experience of Lewis vs the hunger of Verstappen as much as anything, the cars may be stronger or weaker at each track, but are close enough matched to be interesting.

13 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Things getting spicier by the week it seems. Kinda like it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59017996

It's nice to see lewis getting under max's skin as well. I remember from the rosberg season that one of the key things to beating hamilton is getting him rattled and I think Max has managed that a few times this season so it's good see it going back as well. The incident was a bit of nothing really, a tiny bit of playing a tiny bit rough in free practice.

Well, the last few laps were tense.

Always a bit of a shame when ultimatly the pit stops decide things but watching Max and Lewis drive is pretty awe inspiring at times.

However, I think we should all just take a moment to realise the main story of the day - Yuki Tsunoda scored points! Didn't bin it. Didn't trundle round in 16th place, but actually scored points. Go YUKI!

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton must be gutted after yesterday - Merc lock out the front row and then Bottas gives Verstapen a slipstream all the way down the main straight before breaking too hard and ending up at the back of the pack so he was no help for the rest of the race (other than pinching the point for the fastest lap). He could have quite legitimately put his car 6 feet further to the left and he'd have made it very hard for Max to get past, but he effectively opened a huge door for Max to drive through and take the lead.....

14 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Hamilton must be gutted after yesterday - Merc lock out the front row and then Bottas gives Verstapen a slipstream all the way down the main straight before breaking too hard and ending up at the back of the pack so he was no help for the rest of the race (other than pinching the point for the fastest lap). He could have quite legitimately put his car 6 feet further to the left and he'd have made it very hard for Max to get past, but he effectively opened a huge door for Max to drive through and take the lead.....

That's why he's out the door at the end of the season.  When he's 100% on it, he's a very capable driver, but he's far too prone to these types of errors.  

I can't wait to see more of Russell in a competitive car.

Bottas really perplexes me to be honest. He's rapid on occasions, as evidenced b his 4 poles this season, but it seems he's only prepared to break late when he has the track to himself. It was clear to see when he was trying to get past Ricciardo that he was getting out-braked at every corner. And from pole, Verstappen would have been weaving all over the place to fight to hold the position. Bottas made one small move and that was towards his own teammate who was already upsides! Toto's face said it all! Not a happy bunny. The constructor's title is now slipping through Merc's hands too.

Can't stand Horner tbh and despite acknowledging Max's raw talent, I'm not his biggest fan either, but you have to give them credit. With Mercedes 'winging it' this year in favour of developing the 2022 car, RB have done the opposite and boy have they grabbed their opportunity. They do seem to have the top race strategists and have stolen wins as well as dominating on occasions too. Their pit crews too are peerless.

As it is, the fat lady's not singing just yet, but she's in the wings and practicing her scales for sure. Hateful really as you just know how smug Horner will be if they manage to bring this one home ?

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Bottas really perplexes me to be honest. He's rapid on occasions, as evidenced b his 4 poles this season, but it seems he's only prepared to break late when he has the track to himself. It was clear to see when he was trying to get past Ricciardo that he was getting out-braked at every corner. And from pole, Verstappen would have been weaving all over the place to fight to hold the position. Bottas made one small move and that was towards his own teammate who was already upsides! Toto's face said it all! Not a happy bunny. The constructor's title is now slipping through Merc's hands too.

Can't stand Horner tbh and despite acknowledging Max's raw talent, I'm not his biggest fan either, but you have to give them credit. With Mercedes 'winging it' this year in favour of developing the 2022 car, RB have done the opposite and boy have they grabbed their opportunity. They do seem to have the top race strategists and have stolen wins as well as dominating on occasions too. Their pit crews too are peerless.

As it is, the fat lady's not singing just yet, but she's in the wings and practicing her scales for sure. Hateful really as you just know how smug Horner will be if they manage to bring this one home ?

I'd like to hate Horner, he's such as smug twit, but then I remember he has to listen to Geri singing in the shower every morning, and decide the gods have punished him enough.

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Bottas is a stange one, he's a bit like Jenson Button in terms of when things are absolutly spot on for him, yes, he's very quick, but as soon as it's not perfect for him, he just sucks where as on the other hand the likes of Lewis, Fernando, schumacher and so on could all drag wins and podiums out of utter dogs of cars at times. If he hadn't have got the merc drive when Rosberg quit he'd have never got near a top seat and had a "decent midfield f1 career" with the odd good qualifying/race.

24 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Bottas is a stange one, he's a bit like Jenson Button in terms of when things are absolutly spot on for him, yes, he's very quick, but as soon as it's not perfect for him, he just sucks where as on the other hand the likes of Lewis, Fernando, schumacher and so on could all drag wins and podiums out of utter dogs of cars at times. If he hadn't have got the merc drive when Rosberg quit he'd have never got near a top seat and had a "decent midfield f1 career" with the odd good qualifying/race.

I always think the big difference between good and great is between the ears, heightened particularly in F1. 

You're a part of a team, yet you have to be amazingly self centered to succeed. 

Bottas just doesn't have that drive, that nastiness if you like, to hit the highest level consistently. For Hamilton, it's seems to come naturally, possibly because he's had to fight from the first time he set foot in a cart. 

It's why I admire Rosberg, although I can't stand him. He went to the well, sacrificed relationships and reputation, and came out the other side as a World Champion. Even then, he just couldn't face another season doing likewise, and retired at the top, knowing his limits.

Russell strikes me as a pretty hard barsteward, behind his boyish charm, it's going to be an epic season next year if Merc give them a decent car, and fair treatment. 

I reckon it will be Lewis's last season, and he'll probably squeak the battle between them, and ride off into the sunset with another title.

40 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's why I admire Rosberg, although I can't stand him. He went to the well, sacrificed relationships and reputation, and came out the other side as a World Champion. Even then, he just couldn't face another season doing likewise, and retired at the top, knowing his limits.

Totally agree with this. It's not just being good enough to do it, it's being good enough to do it, having the equipment to do it, and being prepared to do whatever it may take.