F1 2021

Gaspode

It will be Russell. No one knows the exact details, but I suspect Mercedes were already paying part of Russell's salary. Merc have been plotting his moment for years.

De Vries will most likely replace Russell. Then I'd say it's between Danny Ric and De Vries to replace Hamilton when he retires, depending on how Russell establishes himself at Mercedes and how De Vries gets on at Williams.

Albon will be unlucky not to find a way back in. Alfa Romeo is extremely unlikely, as Ferrari would replace Giovanazzi with another Ferrari junior if he doesn't stay, or at Haas if they move Schumacher sideways. It leaves him hoping that Tsunoda has a torrid run of form which sees him out, or that Williams decide they can do without Latifi.

Edited by Duracell

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

It will be Russell. No one knows the exact details, but I suspect Mercedes were already paying part of Russell's salary. Merc have been plotting his moment for years.

De Vries will most likely replace Russell. Then I'd say it's between Danny Ric and De Vries to replace Hamilton when he retires, depending on how Russell establishes himself at Mercedes and how De Vries gets on at Williams.

Albon will be unlucky not to find a way back in. Alfa Romeo is extremely unlikely, as Ferrari would replace Giovanazzi with another Ferrari junior if he doesn't stay, or at Haas if they move Schumacher sideways. It leaves him hoping that Tsunoda has a torrid run of form which sees him out, or that Williams decide they can do without Latifi.

Latifi has the mucho de Nero, and even with the change in ownership money still talks in F1.

I think Albon might be having to stick drawing pins in yuki's tyres for the rest of the year.

Considering the situation at Haas, Albon might do better declining that to stay as red bulls reserve driver a winning a bunch of other races on his weekends off. He's certainly feeling the effects of "becoming better whilst not driving"

I suspect there might be more movement next year as my guess is that Gasley has been promised the red bull drive in 23 if he sticks out another season at alpha tauri. Horner really doesn't seem to trust gasley despite his obvious talent.

Tsunoda is an odd one, because he's got some raw pace but it's really not going well for him and red bull usually don't tolerate failure for very long. I'd be a little surprised if they do stick with him next season if he continues to not do the business.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Horner really doesn't seem to trust gasley despite his obvious talent.

He's a raging narcissist who's hoping that if he eases Gasly back in quietly, folk will forget that he prematurely wrote him off and dumped him in the first place. Horner has vindictively and publicly rubbished Gasly that many times I reckon the lad must have boffed Geri on the QT.

25 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

He's a raging narcissist who's hoping that if he eases Gasly back in quietly, folk will forget that he prematurely wrote him off and dumped him in the first place. Horner has vindictively and publicly rubbished Gasly that many times I reckon the lad must have boffed Geri on the QT.

Wouldn't blame her....probaby Danny ric as well

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I reckon that would have moved him up in Horner's estimation!

She'd definitely want a cuddle afterwards, even going as far as being reassured she's got a lovely singing voice.

George officially announced for Mercedes next season. What a shock. No one could have predicted.

So, who is getting the Williams and Alpha Romeo drives next year?

I still think Albon will end up replacng Tsunoda at Alpha Tauri prsonally.

I'm sure behind the scenes Ferarri would like Mick Schumacher to get the Alpha Romeo drive if Haas are going to continue their death struggles.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

George officially announced for Mercedes next season. What a shock. No one could have predicted.

I'm sure behind the scenes Ferarri would like Mick Schumacher to get the Alpha Romeo drive if Haas are going to continue their death struggles.

There was something on Reddit about Alex Albon's girlfriend following Williams on Instagram, the only F1 team she's following 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

A hilariously poorly kept 'secret' ?

Tsunoda is an interesting one as there's some raw pace there even if allied to a questionable temperament and a marked lack of consistency. You may well be right, however, as history clearly shows the owners are not the most patient bunch.

Schumacher has been doing ok in a car that as you rightly point out, is pretty awful. I do wonder though how much longer Gene Haas will bankroll a team that appears to be stuck in reverse. Much as I like the fella, I suspect Guenther Steiner's position is getting close to untenable.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

A hilariously poorly kept 'secret' ?

Tsunoda is an interesting one as there's some raw pace there even if allied to a questionable temperament and a marked lack of consistency. You may well be right, however, as history clearly shows the owners are not the most patient bunch.

Schumacher has been doing ok in a car that as you rightly point out, is pretty awful. I do wonder though how much longer Gene Haas will bankroll a team that appears to be stuck in reverse. Much as I like the fella, I suspect Guenther Steiner's position is getting close to untenable.

I think either Gunther or Gene Haas are going to be done with the outfit at the end of the season. I would imagine it's probably Gunther (unless Nikita's dad buys the team out) - there's been some very questionable managment of that team which was such a breath of fresh air when they came in and were filling that Force India space of likeable midfielders who have the occasional exciting race up in the decent points but have really just been turning to ashes (oopss...poor choice of words there...) over the last 2 years.

WHatever happens, I hope Mazepin gets pumped out the sport, he's really not F1 standard and a horrid person to boot.

Williams confirm Latifi and Alex Albon to drive next season.

Good to see Albon get another shot. Another driver not ready and then monstered by the humane and compassionate man management of Marko and Horner in the second red bull. Hope he does well and Williams continue to move back towards being a respectable midfield outfit.

Interesting the Red Bull have managed to retain a steak in Albon, as mercedes were keen for that to not happen, presumably as Toto has paranoid nightmares about Alex smuggling secret engine information to Horner (seeing as Red Bull have been steadily recruiting mercedes engine engineers for their new power train division, you'd think they already know a fair bit).

So, the last bit of interest is surely going to be Giovinazzi Vs Mick Schumacher for the Alpha Romeo drive and who drives for Haas is Mick does manage to escape (assuming Mazespin's dad is still paying for the team to keep going)

24 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Williams confirm Latifi and Alex Albon to drive next season.

Good to see Albon get another shot. Another driver not ready and then monstered by the humane and compassionate man management of Marko and Horner in the second red bull. Hope he does well and Williams continue to move back towards being a respectable midfield outfit.

Interesting the Red Bull have managed to retain a steak in Albon, as mercedes were keen for that to not happen, presumably as Toto has paranoid nightmares about Alex smuggling secret engine information to Horner (seeing as Red Bull have been steadily recruiting mercedes engine engineers for their new power train division, you'd think they already know a fair bit).

So, the last bit of interest is surely going to be Giovinazzi Vs Mick Schumacher for the Alpha Romeo drive and who drives for Haas is Mick does manage to escape (assuming Mazespin's dad is still paying for the team to keep going)

Glad to see Albon get another shot. He's a very talented driver. Hopefully he'll show up Horner in the same way Gasly has.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Glad to see Albon get another shot. He's a very talented driver. Hopefully he'll show up Horner in the same way Gasly has.

Yeah, they way red bull just stick raw young drivers in then bin them for not being Vettel/Verstappen/Ricciardo straight away is distasteful. Even then Ricciardo could see the writing on the wall soon as Horner went all dewie eyed for Max and upped sticks. Carlos Sainz has thrived and prospered as well since leaving the red bull set up. 

Looking at Red Bull, it almost looks like they've binned so many drivers they're running out of credible options, hence Perez getting the drive and being retained for next year, Tsunoda being promoted when he's probably not ready and still driving next year when in the past he'd probably have been binned off for the next one already by now. It also seems like Mercedes and Ferarri have now got better young driver recruitment set ups where ten years ago it was only really red bull who were prepared to risk putting young drivers into pretty decent levels of motorsport.

You'd have to say (IMO) both Albon and Gasley have got a higher performance ceiling than Checo (who's pretty midfield apart from being able to stretch out the tyres as well as anyone on the grid) so it must be more about the management and other factors, how the team works with them, how they handle the pressure, how they handle the bad days. I'd also guess the big regulation changes make Perez less of a risk than bringing back Gasley or Albon. Hopefully after his good recovery drive at Zandvoort he'll be in better form.