F1 2021

Gaspode

18 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I posted on here a few years ago when they were struggling that the McLarens always have a decent chassis and would be competitive with a decent engine - taken a while, but really delighted with the result today.

As for Mardy Max - I don't care what's gone on before, his actions could have killed another driver today and he couldn't even be bothered to check if Hamilton was o.k. as he sulked back to the pits - what a scummy human being.....

Except, a few years ago, they had a Honda engine and everyone thought the chassis was great and it was just the engine.  

Turns out they were wrong and even admitted as such, hence the 'moving on' of staff, upgrades to calibration tools etc etc. 

The last couple of years they've had a good chassis, before that, very average.

As for killing another driver, that's a massive overreaction given they have the Halo.  Besides, when Verstappen walked off, Lewis was still trying to reverse out so clearly there was nothing wrong with him.

Also, agree with the 30/70 blame conclusion from @JoetheRam and @RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Except, a few years ago, they had a Honda engine and everyone thought the chassis was great and it was just the engine.  

Turns out they were wrong and even admitted as such, hence the 'moving on' of staff, upgrades to calibration tools etc etc. 

The last couple of years they've had a good chassis, before that, very average.

As for killing another driver, that's a massive overreaction given they have the Halo.  Besides, when Verstappen walked off, Lewis was still trying to reverse out so clearly there was nothing wrong with him.

Also, agree with the 30/70 blame conclusion from @JoetheRam and @RadioactiveWaste

So because you wear a seatbelt when you're driving it's o.k. for others drivers to crash into you? Ridiculous....

Hamilton this morning reporting that he has a stiff neck after the wheel hit his helmet - the accident could have been far worse and all because Max thinks he has a god-given right to drive however he feels with no real comeback and without giving a toss about whatever damage he might inflict on other drivers. How many accidents or near-misses has he been responsible for due to his over-aggressive driving since he came into the sport? - prettty much every pole position he points his car towards the path of the 2nd place car and tries to squeeze them off the track - he was getting penalties every race for a while due to his dangerous braking manoeuvres...the bloke is incredibly arrogant - and that makes him dangerous (supported by an equally arrogant team boss that ideally would have a word, but clearly won't as he's more interested in winning the title than the safety of other drivers)

As far as Hamilton reversing - I suspect that's a fairly natural reaction to having a car balanced inches above his head - that doesn't indicate that he wasn't hurt, just a survival instinct kicking in. Max should have checked on him but was so full of his own self-pity that he simply walked away - and that tells you all you need to know about him......

Just to say, it was the slowest corner on the track and the tyres kicking the red bull into the air is not something particularly likely and certainly not premeditated. That's why it really annoyed me max didn't want to be sure Lewis was unhurt.

Part of the paradox of safety - going into that corner I'm sure both drivers were sure even if they crashed they'd be walking away to give interviews about how it was the others fault.

15 hours ago, Gaspode said:

So because you wear a seatbelt when you're driving it's o.k. for others drivers to crash into you? Ridiculous....

Hamilton this morning reporting that he has a stiff neck after the wheel hit his helmet - the accident could have been far worse and all because Max thinks he has a god-given right to drive however he feels with no real comeback and without giving a toss about whatever damage he might inflict on other drivers. How many accidents or near-misses has he been responsible for due to his over-aggressive driving since he came into the sport? - prettty much every pole position he points his car towards the path of the 2nd place car and tries to squeeze them off the track - he was getting penalties every race for a while due to his dangerous braking manoeuvres...the bloke is incredibly arrogant - and that makes him dangerous (supported by an equally arrogant team boss that ideally would have a word, but clearly won't as he's more interested in winning the title than the safety of other drivers)

As far as Hamilton reversing - I suspect that's a fairly natural reaction to having a car balanced inches above his head - that doesn't indicate that he wasn't hurt, just a survival instinct kicking in. Max should have checked on him but was so full of his own self-pity that he simply walked away - and that tells you all you need to know about him......

Extreme fanboyism right there.

The big problem with Max is that it's a one-way street. He expects to be given room, but does not give it himself. It makes battling with him completely unpredictable, and I'm not surprised that Hamilton has decided the only way to do battle with him is to match the attitude.

Contrast that with Alonso, who's aggressive and gets his elbows out. So many drivers revel in battling with him, because although he's hard as nails, he is always fair and consistent. 

Max is very clearly right up there with Alonso and Hamilton, but he's had the opportunity to refine his craft and make mistakes in junior formulae taken away from him. 23 is still absurdly young, younger than the average driver used to start their F1 career. He needs to learn when to back out. He needs a touch of Prost.

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Yeah, he's right in terms of it being low speed and just unfortunate that the tyres touched like that.

I don't know if it's the official definition of racinging incident, but for me, if it's a ligitimate attempt (it was) and a ligitimate defense (it was)resulting in both being at the same place in space, then racing incident. As the famous quote from Senna goes "You no longer go for a gap that is there, you're no longer a racing driver" (although everyone forgets that was him justifying ramming Prost off the track to secure his title)

Whilst I didn't mind the stewards giving Max 3 place grid penalty anything more would've been too much and I would've personnally just left it, but that's me and I'm not a race steward. - realistically Max should've backed out or cut the corner rather than assuming everyone (especially Hamilton) is going to get out of his way because he's Max Verstappen. But equally, Hamilton could've left more space for Max to be in without a crash.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

LANDO P1 POLE POSITION!

Carlos Sainz P2

George Russell P3

That'll be a whole troup of Lando internet stans losing their poo until tomorrow.

Hammy P4

Danny Ric P5

Fernando P6 - good job

Boat ass - P7

Stroll P8

Checo P9

Ocon P10

Verstappen, Leclerk and Latifi at the back due to engine changes.

Mazespin outside 107% in Q1 but it'd be a brave steward to exclude him on Russian soil (and they'd argue wet quali and point to FP1&2 times within 107%)

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

Well done Lewis on 100 wins 

Touch and go if it's in the dry v Lando but the right call sealed it.

Some real winners and losers at the end, Lando obviously, Checo goes from a P3 to P9 whilst Max goes from P6 to P2 (I'm sure Horner won't give a toss about Perez losing out if Max gets to P2).

Good job from Sainz, Alonso still got it, unlucky for Leclerk at the end after a good drive.

For a race that had large sections of dullness the bits that were exciting were really exciting.

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Touch and go if it's in the dry v Lando but the right call sealed it.

Some real winners and losers at the end, Lando obviously, Checo goes from a P3 to P9 whilst Max goes from P6 to P2 (I'm sure Horner won't give a toss about Perez losing out if Max gets to P2).

Good job from Sainz, Alonso still got it, unlucky for Leclerk at the end after a good drive.

For a race that had large sections of dullness the bits that were exciting were really exciting.

Bizarre end to the race with rain coming in on the radar and TV pictures showing it .

Lando should have pitted but that’s the unpredictability of Formula 1 and that’s why we love it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dry qualifying and Lewis was fastest, but starting P11 for the engine change.

Good jobs from both Alonso and Gasly (he must've dipped Horner's wife or something?!) and Mick bloody Schumacher in a Haas!

1. Boatass

2. Versappen

3. Leclerk

4. Gasly

5. Fernando

6. Checo (c'mon man, sort out your qualifying)

7. Lando

8. Lance "daddies cash" stroll

9. YUKI! - I'll give him credit for not being slow or binning it, he needs more Q3 and solid drives

10. Seb Vettel.

11. Hamilton - been fast all weekend, expect moves

12. Ocon

13. Georgey boy

14. Mick chumacher - the story of qualifying, on merit in the absolutly worst car on the grid.

15. Danny ric ? effort, he can do better

16. King Latifi

17. Goivinazzi - those Q3 days seem a while ago, guess he's been told he's not coming back next year.

18. Kimi

19. Mazespin

20. Sainz - engine pens.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Dry qualifying and Lewis was fastest, but starting P11 for the engine change.

Good jobs from both Alonso and Gasly (he must've dipped Horner's wife or something?!) and Mick bloody Schumacher in a Haas!

1. Boatass

2. Versappen

3. Leclerk

4. Gasly

5. Fernando

6. Checo (c'mon man, sort out your qualifying)

7. Lando

8. Lance "daddies cash" stroll

9. YUKI! - I'll give him credit for not being slow or binning it, he needs more Q3 and solid drives

10. Seb Vettel.

11. Hamilton - been fast all weekend, expect moves

12. Ocon

13. Georgey boy

14. Mick chumacher - the story of qualifying, on merit in the absolutly worst car on the grid.

15. Danny ric ? effort, he can do better

16. King Latifi

17. Goivinazzi - those Q3 days seem a while ago, guess he's been told he's not coming back next year.

18. Kimi

19. Mazespin

20. Sainz - engine pens.

Really looking forward to this one. Could be an absolute belter. Been an epic season and it could end up a classic one. 

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really looking forward to this one. Could be an absolute belter. Been an epic season and it could end up a classic one. 

I think 2010 was the last time a season was this interesting. OK it's a straight up Max v Lewis, Red Bull v Merc fight, but close enough to be epic and with McLaren, Ferarri and occasionally others fast enough to be mixing it up it really is the best it's been in ages.

The next gen of drivers coming through are very good as well, Lando and Russell, obviously but Gasly, Ocon, Leclerk potentially Albon all having potential and lots of solid to very good drivers in the field (danny ric, carlos sainz etc) as long as new regs don't completely ruin it it could be a good few seasons even though Lewis is going retire at some point, as will Alonso, Seb, Kimi, checo and the other vets.

I just hope the Lando/Leclerk/Russell/Gasly crowd all get good enough cars and we don't go from x in a row Hamilton to Y in a row Verstappen titles.

Fabio's gonna win the MotoGP no question, WSBK is closer with Jonny Rae 24 points behind with 6 races left. I've lost touch with WRC tbh though.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think 2010 was the last time a season was this interesting. OK it's a straight up Max v Lewis, Red Bull v Merc fight, but close enough to be epic and with McLaren, Ferarri and occasionally others fast enough to be mixing it up it really is the best it's been in ages.

The next gen of drivers coming through are very good as well, Lando and Russell, obviously but Gasly, Ocon, Leclerk potentially Albon all having potential and lots of solid to very good drivers in the field (danny ric, carlos sainz etc) as long as new regs don't completely ruin it it could be a good few seasons even though Lewis is going retire at some point, as will Alonso, Seb, Kimi, checo and the other vets.

I just hope the Lando/Leclerk/Russell/Gasly crowd all get good enough cars and we don't go from x in a row Hamilton to Y in a row Verstappen titles.

Fabio's gonna win the MotoGP no question, WSBK is closer with Jonny Rae 24 points behind with 6 races left. I've lost touch with WRC tbh though.

Spot on RAW. I think we're entering a golden age and with the simplification of systems we could see VW enter the fray with Porsche or Audi. I honestly thought this would be another stroll for LH but I'm relishing the battle with the young pretender, Verstappen.

A really good weekend of sport in truth! 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Spot on RAW. I think we're entering a golden age and with the simplification of systems we could see VW enter the fray with Porsche or Audi. I honestly thought this would be another stroll for LH but I'm relishing the battle with the young pretender, Verstappen.

A really good weekend of sport in truth! 

You're dead right about getting VW group into the sport - they've always got shy about it but with Honda leaving (yet again) there's a need for more a big name to come in. and if VW do well it might tempt BMW or Toyota or Peoguet/citroen group back in. I doubt they'd ever get Ford back involved.

Well, that was a pretty good race in tricky conditions.

Panned out well for Max overall, I think towards the end Lewis was dammed if he did, dammed if he didn't on the pit stop tbh. Keeps the championship swinging but I expect Lewis to be strong at COTA (again, one of the better "new" F1 tracks - apparently it's very bumpy there after the harsh winter in Texas due to the undersoil, well, there was a ton of talk about that regarding the MotoGP at COTA last week).

Can't argue Bottas deserved the win. Shame for Leclerk who drove a good race but the tyre call was wrong and he lost out. Nice to see Checo put in another decent drive and get the reward for it this time, defending Lewis is not easy and if he hadn't things could've played out differently for the podium.

Top marks to Vettel, 4 times world champion, for deciding that everyone loving on Lando for his dry tyre decision after the last race was nice, so he'd pit to see if he could get the same, didn't work.