Self parking car

FindernRam

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Mine will parallel park, reverse/forward into a space, and pull out of a space autonomously if you so desire.

It will also stop itself pulling off the drive if it sees a car coming up the street, which is fine until they stop to let you out, and the frigging thing still won't move!

It also slams the brakes on when it thinks it knows best, quite scary at 30mph.

This you?

spacer.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes but before they let you leave the dealership, you have to pull one trouser leg up and solemnly promise never to use them.

That's nothing - if you buy an Audi they require evidence of a frontal lobotomy.....

• 2 weeks later...

My car doesn't have parking assist apart from sensors and rear camera, but it does have reactive cruise control which coupled with an automatic box means all I have to do is steer and remember to stop at junctions or red lights . Apparently that's optional for BMW drivers; stopping that is.

I had a Ford once which the handbook in very large type pointed out that "Cruise control does not steer the car".

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

My car doesn't have parking assist apart from sensors and rear camera, but it does have reactive cruise control which coupled with an automatic box means all I have to do is steer and remember to stop at junctions or red lights . Apparently that's optional for BMW drivers; stopping that is.

I had a Ford once which the handbook in very large type pointed out that "Cruise control does not steer the car".

The Darwin Awards (look them up on google kiddies) had an entry for an American that bought himself a large motorhome and set off for a drive across the States - the crash investigators determined that on a long straight road, he'd switched on the cruise control and then gone into the back of the van to make himself a cuppa - the remains of him and his motorhome were found embedded in a large rockface at the next bend.....

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

My car doesn't have parking assist apart from sensors and rear camera, but it does have reactive cruise control which coupled with an automatic box means all I have to do is steer and remember to stop at junctions or red lights .

Same here.  Love it!

Apparently the newer version is even more "Self-Drive"!  (Colleague's wife has just picked up a 21 plate Tiguan... (He gets his company Tiguan next week)... 

He reports it (his wife's car) now recognises (When ACC is activated, obvs) traffic light zones and roundabouts, and slows the car automatically, until you re-accelerate to override it... or brake, of course!
(Don't think it goes as far as actually stopping automatically, or recognises red lights?)

Not sure I'd like that!  A bit too "Autopilot" for me!  

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

He reports it (his wife's car) now recognises (When ACC is activated, obvs) traffic light zones and roundabouts, and slows the car automatically, until you re-accelerate to override it... or brake, of course!
(Don't think it goes as far as actually stopping automatically, or recognises red lights?)

Not sure I'd like that!  A bit too "Autopilot" for me! 

I think makers are slipping in ever more "aids" for us and eventually they hope (maybe encouraged by governments) that we will accept full auto, keeping to speed limits, even scheduling a journey so you arrive relatively jam free.

My only issue with ACC is that sometimes I think its on when its not and the car doesn't stop: Ooops! It also occasionally brakes when I I don't want it to. A left hand bend near us has a wide verge and people do park on it. Sometimes it thinks I'm going to hit a parked car so slams the anchors on.

On 09/03/2021 at 11:15, Rev said:

Mine will parallel park, reverse/forward into a space, and pull out of a space autonomously if you so desire.

It will also stop itself pulling off the drive if it sees a car coming up the street, which is fine until they stop to let you out, and the frigging thing still won't move!

It also slams the brakes on when it thinks it knows best, quite scary at 30mph.

Yes - This!

Driving at 30 with cruise on and there is a car parked on our side of the road, it seems to sense it very late.

My problem with all the automatic & semi-automatic functions is that you still have to be alert at all times and ready to take over/override the car if needed. You might as well actually be in control of it then.

Until there are fully autonomous car systems you can trust - and carmakers accept liability for accidents involving them, I'll stick to actually driving the thing, thanks.

On 08/03/2021 at 22:18, Brammie Steve said:

Reversing sensors are great but I wouldn't use auto drive or auto park.

It cost a friend £200 to get an automatic window switch fixed.

I'd still prefer handles to turn to wind windows up/down.

Thieves love cars with keyless ignition.

An electric car takes a carbon footprint which is equivalent to 50,000 miles in a petrol or diesel car. and that's just to build the car. Then factor in battery life and cost of charging.

Progress? What progress?

Seeing a lot more very new cars these days with the stoplocks on. Suspect this is the case. 

Bit posh that.  My first car had sliding windows and a cable to open the door. A speedo and 2 warning lights that I never knew what they were for. No temp gauge.

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

There was a car on Baywatch the other day that had automatic seatbelts.

My missus asked if I could remember them, but I'd never seen them before in my life.

Sometime in the 70s I had a hire car in Kansas City, it had these things and they ran on guides around the roof area. Seem to remember they nearly took my head of each time I got in. Mind you when I put the car in a ditch due to an ice storm they worked well enough.

Reversing sensors are great but I wouldn't use auto drive or auto park.

It cost a friend £200 to get an automatic window switch fixed.

Thieves love cars with keyless ignition.

An electric car takes a carbon footprint which is equivalent to 50,000 miles in a petrol or diesel car. and that's just to build the car. Then factor in battery life and cost of charging.

Progress? What progress?

I think you are double counting battery production in your figures and also you don't factor in the fact that electric cars are soo much more agreeable in comparison the ICE cars. no noise, fumes, you can not really understand how much more refined they are to drive also 

47 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think you are double counting battery production in your figures and also you don't factor in the fact that electric cars are soo much more agreeable in comparison the ICE cars. no noise, fumes, you can not really understand how much more refined they are to drive also 

They kill more visually impaired people too!

Archived