Self parking car

FindernRam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Thinks its a new concept?: Google : Packard self parking car 1933

Think I'll get one for an, unspecified gender, person of my acquaintance who happens to share my house.

I’ll buy one if I can put in someone else’s postcode.

58 minutes ago, ramit said:

There's a small step from self parking cars to self driving cars.  Nope, not going that route, until forced to.

It's a massive step.

I have no problem with driving but I'm absolutely terrible at parking. I don't feel I have to give up the former to get help with the latter.

Mine will parallel park or reverse into a space, but I'm a bit nervous of trusting it entirely so only use it when it's a pretty large space that I could have easily parked in myself. You can also auto steer out of a space when you've parallel parked which is useful if you've come back to the car and some dingleberry has parked in front or behind and not left much room....I don't think it's useful enough that I'd choose it as an option if I had to pay for it (I bought my car 2nd hand so it was one of the toys already installed....)

Sith Happens

If you have any issues with parking just buy a BMW, you automatically get several spaces to park in..easy. 

Reversing sensors are great but I wouldn't use auto drive or auto park.

It cost a friend £200 to get an automatic window switch fixed.

I'd still prefer handles to turn to wind windows up/down.

Thieves love cars with keyless ignition.

An electric car takes a carbon footprint which is equivalent to 50,000 miles in a petrol or diesel car. and that's just to build the car. Then factor in battery life and cost of charging.

Progress? What progress?

56 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Reversing sensors are great but I wouldn't use auto drive or auto park.

It cost a friend £200 to get an automatic window switch fixed.

I'd still prefer handles to turn to wind windows up/down.

Thieves love cars with keyless ignition.

An electric car takes a carbon footprint which is equivalent to 50,000 miles in a petrol or diesel car. and that's just to build the car. Then factor in battery life and cost of charging.

Progress? What progress?

Higher upfront carbon footprint but about 50% less over the lifetime.

Is that cost of charging in real terms (£)? My electric car costs me just over 1p per mile, whereas previous petrol cars were closer to the 9p mark.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Higher upfront carbon footprint but about 50% less over the lifetime.

Is that cost of charging in real terms (£)? My electric car costs me just over 1p per mile, whereas previous petrol cars were closer to the 9p mark.

And the 1p per mile cost is more than offset by the profit on the milk sold. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone has has a parking incident/insurance claim involving someone using the feature. I'd be amazed if it has never happened & could set precendents for autonomous cars.

I've never had it and wouldn't use it if I did. I can drive. And have a BMW ?

25 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'd be interested to know if anyone has has a parking incident/insurance claim involving someone using the feature. I'd be amazed if it has never happened & could set precendents for autonomous cars.

I've never had it and wouldn't use it if I did. I can drive. And have a BMW ?

Does it have indicators?

Mine will parallel park, reverse/forward into a space, and pull out of a space autonomously if you so desire.

It will also stop itself pulling off the drive if it sees a car coming up the street, which is fine until they stop to let you out, and the frigging thing still won't move!

It also slams the brakes on when it thinks it knows best, quite scary at 30mph.

Archived