1884 but when............

ilkleyram

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

We were founded in 1884, so far so good, but does anyone know the actual date on which we were founded in 1884, please?

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

13th May

2 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

Google says 5 February, with our first friendly coming on 13 September against Great Lever (6-0 loss, for those wondering)

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've got 13th May in my head?

But don't quote me on it!  

EDIT:
Posted before seeing the responses above.

The intention was "leaked" on Wednesday 7th May 1884. It was then "officially" announced on 8th May 1884. Then there was the small matter of Derbyshire FA objecting to the name "Derbyshire County" so that led to another meeting and thereafter on 15th May, the name Derby County was announced. (See the picture attached).

The detail is all beautifully capture by the superb "The Men who made the Rams" by Peter Seddon- A totally "MUST READ" for any Rams fan. I believe therefore that the official birthday is 8th May 1884. Some of us have proposed holding some kind of commemorative birthday event (possibly at the Old Bell Hotel where the Committee used to meet) but that hasn't gained traction ....yet. But it will eventually, eh @loweman2

dcfc-announce.jpg

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

The intention was "leaked" on Wednesday 7th May 1884. It was then "officially" announced on 8th May 1884. Then there was the small matter of Derbyshire FA objecting to the name "Derbyshire County" so that led to another meeting and thereafter on 15th May, the name Derby County was announced. (See the picture attached).

The detail is all beautifully capture by the superb "The Men who made the Rams" by Peter Seddon- A totally "MUST READ" for any Rams fan. I believe therefore that the official birthday is 8th May 1884. Some of us have proposed holding some kind of commemorative birthday event (possibly at the Old Bell Hotel where the Committee used to meet) but that hasn't gained traction ....yet. But it will eventually, eh @loweman2

dcfc-announce.jpg

excellent work from the @Ellafella, yes it was all gaining a lot of traction for the blue plaque award on the bell until this dam pesky covid got in the way, dont worry though the Rams Heritage trust are on the case !

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I believe therefore that the official birthday is 8th May 1884.

That's my birthday!!!!! I was born 68 years later in 1952, and by coincidence I'm still 68 years of age (+10 months). So, I hope I get a party invitation.

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Some of us have proposed holding some kind of commemorative birthday event (possibly at the Old Bell Hotel where the Committee used to meet) but that hasn't gained traction ....yet. But it will eventually, eh @loweman2

The next major anniversary will be 2084. I'll get the first round.

screenshot me, quote me, @ me

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Don't say that, I think you're only one or two years older than me. It is only 13 years. I'll even buy you one WHEN we both make it!

That’s scary. 2034 just sounds like a date that should be in the far future in some SCR fi film, when the sun is about to engulf the earth. 

instead, we’ll probably still be in the championship. 

Archived