Best signing since Clough-era

TigerTedd

16 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I've gone one step further and made the ultimate XI

Imagine if these legends were in the same team, 100 point season easily.

difficult to leave out Butterfield but you can't play them all.

image.png.9585c1343f58f366efb234374d195ea5.png

I think this would be my 11:

Weale
Anya   Ambrose   Whitbread   Naylor
Blackman   King   Dowell   Camara
Best   Wilson

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Where's the poll?

Do loans count?

Complete list of players signed for the first team:
image.thumb.png.3c3b98f1dd16a87fa124bfeabbfcfbb1.png

13/14 Bamford, wow that was waaaayyyy back. He must have retired by now? Oh hold on, one of premier top scorers..... okaaaaay Scared Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Where's the poll?

Do loans count?

Complete list of players signed for the first team:
image.thumb.png.3c3b98f1dd16a87fa124bfeabbfcfbb1.png

Jeez, when you look at some of the dross we've signed in the last eight seasons. It's quite clear why we have become such a poor team.

It took Clough a number of years to assemble the team, that Mac 1 then took to the play-offs.

So unless Rooney is a miracle worker, I think it'll take him at least a couple of years to built a side that will compare to our last decent one.

@Ghost of Clough- Jason Shackell about sums up the craziness of our recent transfer windows, or at least the first couple of years of Mels tenure.  Nigel signs a 27 year old(?) about to enter his prime years for approx £1M.  Clement (or Rush) signs a 32 year old with his best years behind him for approx £3M on a 3 year contract.  Madness - thought it at the time and it seems even more bizarre now.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think this would be my 11:

Weale
Anya   Ambrose   Whitbread   Naylor
Blackman   King   Dowell   Camara
Best   Wilson

Harsh on Harry. IMO he was decent, especially his freekicks ?

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m not counting loans. Otherwise it would be Mount all day, every day. But I’d love to make Clarke permanent, then we can talk about adding him in here. 

In that case, this is probably my pecking order:

Kazim
Carson
Dawkins
Marshall
Byrne
Davies
Cole
Baird
Lawrence
Christie
Huddlestone
Roos
Jozwiak
Rooney
Shinnie
Ledley
Holmes
Waghorn
Evans
Weimann
Wisdom
Johnson
Nugent
Bielik
Jerome
Pearce
Thorne
Marriott
Butterfield
Warnock
te Wierik
Shackell
Bent
Albentosa
Shotton
Naylor
Olsson
Whitbread
Cisse
Ambrose
Weale
Ibe
Malone
Blackman
Jozefzoon
Camara
Anya

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In that case, this is probably my pecking order:

Kazim
Carson
Dawkins
Marshall
Byrne
Davies
Cole
Baird
Lawrence
Christie
Huddlestone
Roos
Jozwiak
Rooney
Shinnie
Ledley
Holmes
Waghorn
Evans
Weimann
Wisdom
Johnson
Nugent
Bielik
Jerome
Pearce
Thorne
Marriott
Butterfield
Warnock
te Wierik
Shackell
Bent
Albentosa
Shotton
Naylor
Olsson
Whitbread
Cisse
Ambrose
Weale
Ibe
Malone
Blackman
Jozefzoon
Camara
Anya

That’s impressive. I don’t even remember half of those to be able to rank them. I’d put anya a bit higher though. He at least scored a couple. Unlike Blackman. Weale didn’t score any either. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s impressive. I don’t even remember half of those to be able to rank them. I’d put anya a bit higher though. He at least scored a couple. Unlike Blackman. Weale didn’t score any either. 

Blackman scored 1 - wasn't it a penalty?

Anya was signed for more money, on more money, and showed no desire to move away from the club so goes to the bottom of the list for me.

34 minutes ago, cannable said:

Missing Vydra and Ince, not a chance in hell should Malone be anywhere near that low 

£3m for 1 season on decent wages before leaving on a free. Given we already had Fozzy and Lowe at the club it was a poor signing. Worse than Butterfield who filled a gap we had in the squad, on less wages and was one of our best players in the Clement season.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£3m for 1 season on decent wages before leaving on a free. Given we already had Fozzy and Lowe at the club it was a poor signing. Worse than Butterfield who filled a gap we had in the squad, on less wages and was one of our best players in the Clement season.

Fozzy was coming back from his second ACL and suffered his third after about ten appearances that season anyway

On 11/03/2021 at 11:45, ramsbottom said:

Ince & Carson all day.  Which is kind of paradoxical considering the same season we made the two worst in Butterfield & Johnson.  Although to be fair, Johnson did perform when used correctly, but his value for money was shocking...

Johnson was an absolute beast for about 6 games on arrival, then had a shocker in the 1-0 defeat to Forest and never really recovered till his last few months, although he was fairly decent under Rowett for a short spell . Butterfield was just pants. 

This man, for anybody who has been following the rams since the Clough era he is the stand out player, anybody who didn’t actually see him just won’t understand or get it, he was part of a different era, he encapsulates the BBG days ! Division three to division one in successive seasons, the club being saved from extinction! Chelsea and Leeds trying to take the osmaston end, beating forest in the FA cup, Arthur cox, Phil Gee, Patrick kits, centenary kits, beating Leeds to gain promotion to division one, beating Plymouth to become champions ! Bobby was always there, ever reliable ! Legend !

FF188579-96EF-4E05-93AC-B4D7DF1BF9F1.jpeg

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The trouble is he seems to identify more with Leeds than Derby.

I think he supported Leeds ?, though to be honest I also think promising him a contract through that 91-92 loan spell where he really did the business then binning him off last minute to sign Gabbiadini probably didn't endear us much.

A genuine reason to perhaps shift your loyalty. 

I'd take that over John McGovern, who seems to have a pol pot year zero syndrome when it comes to time he spent here prior to Forest for no discernable reason. If he hadn't been able to sell his medals from his time here, he'd probably have smelted then down and buried them in the garden.

Archived