Best signing since Clough-era

TigerTedd

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

That is an impressive list. does this bring us to the conclusion that Nigel had a better recruitment record than anyone since?

Definitely more hit than miss. Even when only looking at players bought for a fee, Maguire (£400K) and Sammon (Barker type fee) are the only 2 I can recall than didn't work out as expected.

4 hours ago, sage said:

I would suggest that all those in bold were poor signings as they made us worse than the players they replaced and 3 of the 4 simply didn't fit in with how we played. 

Don't be silly.

The only measure of how good a player is is how many goals and assists they got in a particular set up, ignoring all context or long term impact on team performances.

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd still take Clough's (especially for the fees paid): Eustace, Ward, Forsyth, Martin, Russell, Buxton, Grant, Bryson, Coutts, Brayford

I wonder what the total cost spent on these was??? When you think of the millions we’ve wasted since....

I know Martin was on a free.....what a signing that was! Think clough also got keogh and barker didn’t he? 

1 minute ago, Eaststander7 said:

I wonder what the total cost spent on these was??? When you think of the millions we’ve wasted since....

I know Martin was on a free.....what a signing that was! Think clough also got keogh and barker didn’t he? 

Fees paid for the following players:

Sammon - £1.35m
Keogh - £1.2m
Barker - £1.1m
Shackell - £1m
Russell - £800k
Ward - £590k
Jacobs - £570k
Bailey - £540k
Brayford - £540k
Porter - £540k
Bryson - £460k
Moxey - £405k
Maguire - £400k
B Davies - £370k
Fielding - £315k
Legzdins - £200k
Coutts - £170k
Forsyth - £160k
T Naylor - £110k
D Martin - £100k
Robinson - £100k

Total cost: c£11m

Plus the likes of Buxton, Roberts, Eustace, Martin, Grant on frees.
Freeman, O'Connor, Tyson, Riggott, Cywka, , Deeney, Pringle, Croft and Hendrie also on free but didn't have much impact.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Fees paid for the following players:

Sammon - £1.35m
Keogh - £1.2m
Barker - £1.1m
Shackell - £1m
Russell - £800k
Ward - £590k
Jacobs - £570k
Bailey - £540k
Brayford - £540k
Porter - £540k
Bryson - £460k
Moxey - £405k
Maguire - £400k
B Davies - £370k
Fielding - £315k
Legzdins - £200k
Coutts - £170k
Forsyth - £160k
T Naylor - £110k
D Martin - £100k
Robinson - £100k

Total cost: c£11m

Plus the likes of Buxton, Roberts, Eustace, Martin, Grant on frees.
Freeman, O'Connor, Tyson, Riggott, Cywka, , Deeney, Pringle, Croft and Hendrie also on free but didn't have much impact.

If you look at fees paid, what value Forsyth has been.

This thread is great, the utter confusion as to what @TigerTedd was asking.

We have players since Brian Clough, we have players since Nigel Clough which was the question, but then we even have players signed by Nigel Clough. 

Bit like headlines in the press, reactions without reading the article, which given the clickbait nature is bonkers, but that’s another discussion.

Don’t think some got this far Tedd ?

“so, as the title says, who actually is our best signing since Clough brought in the likes of Bryson, Martin, Keogh, Mascarell, Eustace etc? I’m thinking effectiveness, longevity, fan reaction.”

11 minutes ago, sage said:

If you look at fees paid, what value Forsyth has been.

Definitely Clough's best value signing.
Cost per game played (excluding fee sold for):

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Forsyth - £0.7k
Robinson - £1.2k
Bryson - £1.7k
Coutts - £2.5k
Keogh - £3.4k
Russell - £3.9k
Fielding - £3.9k
Ward - £4k
B Davies - £4.5k
Brayford - £4.6k
Legzdins - £5.4k
Moxey - £7k
D Martin - £7.7k
Bailey - £8.4k
Barker - £10.5k
Porter - £10.8k
T Naylor - £11k
Jacobs - £12.1k
Sammon - £15k
Shackell - £20.4k
Maguire - £50k

13 minutes ago, David said:

We have players since Brian Clough, we have players since Nigel Clough which was the question, but then we even have players signed by Nigel Clough. 

Bit like headlines in the press, reactions without reading the article, which given the clickbait nature is bonkers, but that’s another discussion.

“so, as the title says, who actually is our best signing since Clough brought in the likes of Bryson, Martin, Keogh, Mascarell, Eustace etc? I’m thinking effectiveness, longevity, fan reaction.”

Mascarell was Mac I

12 hours ago, David said:

I am guilty of this. Got a bit excited and shouted Bryson 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Tom Ince all day long. Big initial fee, but more than doubled our money, and he contributed so many goals and assists in between. Best winger we’ve had in my time watching. How we could do with someone of his quality now...

We bought him for £6m and sold him for £8m. 

Archived