Best signing since Clough-era

TigerTedd

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Craig Bryson! £400,000 from Kilmarnock and he was so good for five or six years! 
If we’d been so inclined, we could have sold him for a big profit circa 2015 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SINCE Nigel Clough? I'll try for a top 10 (I've based these on performance and cost/profit... I've also only gone for permanents)

1. Matej Vydra - Championship top scorer 2017/18 and sold for a profit
  2. Tom Ince - cracking for a couple of seasons and sold for a profit
  3. Jayden Bogle - paid a pittance for him from Swindon as a youth
  4. Cyrus Christie - paid a pittance for him from Coventry as a youth
  5. Scott Carson - nominal fee and Player of the Season the year after
  6. Colin Kazim-Richards - lets face it, where would we be if we didn't have him as a focal point up front this season?
  7. David Marshall - see below
  8. Nathan Byrne - combined £200k fee (or similar) with David Marshall? Great bit of business.
  9. Graeme Shinnie - great for a freebie
  10. Darren Bent - another free transfer, had a good couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Surely got to be Mac1?

Thorne, Dawkins, Christie, Bent, Ince, Shotton (?), Butland, Lingard, Ibe, Warnock - All for mostly nothing

Even Albentosa who was dreadful was cheap as chips and we made a profit on

I'd still take Clough's (especially for the fees paid): Eustace, Ward, Forsyth, Martin, Russell, Buxton, Grant, Bryson, Coutts, Brayford

59 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

SINCE Nigel Clough? I'll try for a top 10 (I've based these on performance and cost/profit... I've also only gone for permanents)

1. Matej Vydra - Championship top scorer 2017/18 and sold for a profit
  2. Tom Ince - cracking for a couple of seasons and sold for a profit
  3. Jayden Bogle - paid a pittance for him from Swindon as a youth
  4. Cyrus Christie - paid a pittance for him from Coventry as a youth
  5. Scott Carson - nominal fee and Player of the Season the year after
  6. Colin Kazim-Richards - lets face it, where would we be if we didn't have him as a focal point up front this season?
  7. David Marshall - see below
  8. Nathan Byrne - combined £200k fee (or similar) with David Marshall? Great bit of business.
  9. Graeme Shinnie - great for a freebie
  10. Darren Bent - another free transfer, had a good couple of seasons.

I would suggest that all those in bold were poor signings as they made us worse than the players they replaced and 3 of the 4 simply didn't fit in with how we played. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

I’m going to say King Kaz.

Imagine the mess we’d be in if he hadn’t stepped up to the plate.

Very few player in recent years have had such a big impact, especially coming from nowhere like he did!

Seconded. Cost nothing so in terms of value for money it's got to be CKR

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd still take Clough's (especially for the fees paid): Eustace, Ward, Forsyth, Martin, Russell, Buxton, Grant, Bryson, Coutts, Brayford

That is an impressive list. does this bring us to the conclusion that Nigel had a better recruitment record than anyone since?

Since Brian - John Gregory was the catalyst that started the recovery from the depths of the third division, only a year after playing for England, a masterstroke signing by Arthur Cox.

Since Nigel - CKR, where would we be without him this season, probably all but relegated by now.

17 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Since Brian - John Gregory was the catalyst that started the recovery from the depths of the third division, only a year after playing for England, a masterstroke signing by Arthur Cox.

Since Nigel - CKR, where would we be without him this season, probably all but relegated by now.

It’s funny, Gregory was before my time, so I only ever knew him as a manager, and the impression that I got wasn’t that he was some sort of returning hero. He certainly didn’t leave like one. I didn’t even realise he’d been an ex player at the time, let alone such an important one. 

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, irobinson said:

Snr - Deano  and Goddard 

Junr - Bucko and CKR

Buxton was clough jnr

Sith Happens

I think what a thread like this does is demonstrate that recruitment since clough jnr has been poor at best as there are multiple signings under clough that were better than what we signed since. 

Archived