The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Rather than blaming government, as much as I'd like to, lets start pointing fingers at these uneducated, selfish fools who refuse to be vaccinated. These are the ones unfortuantely going to hospital, and potentially making it worse for everyone around them. I think we need to start taking responsibility for ourselves. Government can only go so far, if you can't registee the message of how important it is to be vaccinated then you need to be ashamed of yourself.

I've not seen the numbers regarding covid hospitalisations with and without vaccination? 

Got to admit that I am extremely dubious about this supposed upturn in case numbers, seems very conveniently timed.

Still, dont think there is too much to be worried about, the vital data has barely moved since Boris Johnson declared that there was nothing in the data that would delay the lifting of restrictions. 

Any sort of delay and I think we will all finally know who is actually running the country these days.

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I thought it has been stated the vaccination works against the Indian variant,  as much as it’s decreases the severity of the illness. If so then so what If we were late shutting the boarder to India. The vast majority of the population is now protected against the virus, and all but everyone who has the potential to be harmed by it is fully protected. Due to this I cannot understand the continued obsession with variants and restrictions, let’s move on and live our life’s now. 

You are answering your own questions in what you write.

You first sentence implies that you understand that there is the potential that a variant may occur which the vaccine does not work against.

I assume you accept that the more infections there are, the more variants there will be. So more infections increase the risk of the vaccine proof variant.

And it's pretty obvious that fully opening up will increase infections more than not fully opening up.

The question is how much of a risk does opening up now create, especially when we are very close to full adult vaccination, but not quite there.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Rumour is the day will be pushed back to July 19th from June 21st. If so it’s obvious there are people guiding the Government who never want us to return to normal. Absolutely bunch of  CU next Tuesdays if true. 

Do you think that this so-called government are so weak that they will blindly follow the advice of the people guiding them? We already know they've happily ignored them plenty if times.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Got to admit that I am extremely dubious about this supposed upturn in case numbers, seems very conveniently timed.

Still, dont think there is too much to be worried about, the vital data has barely moved since Boris Johnson declared that there was nothing in the data that would delay the lifting of restrictions. 

Any sort of delay and I think we will all finally know who is actually running the country these days.

When Johnson says "I've seen nothing in the data..." I get very worried that the bumbling toff has been doing a bit of SQL and checking out the Tableau dashboards late into the night.

I'd much rather he said "I've been told there is nothing in the data....".

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There's the schoolboy error. Believing a serial and confirmed liar. 

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

When Johnson says "I've seen nothing in the data..." I get very worried that the bumbling toff has been doing a bit of SQL and checking out the Tableau dashboards late into the night.

I'd much rather he said "I've been told there is nothing in the data....".

Maybe if the Government tried interprering the data rather than listening to people that care about nothing other than Covid 19, we might get back to living a normal life.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are answering your own questions in what you write.

You first sentence implies that you understand that there is the potential that a variant may occur which the vaccine does not work against.

I assume you accept that the more infections there are, the more variants there will be. So more infections increase the risk of the vaccine proof variant.

And it's pretty obvious that fully opening up will increase infections more than not fully opening up.

The question is how much of a risk does opening up now create, especially when we are very close to full adult vaccination, but not quite there.

Mate if you want to hide behind your sofa then please do, the rest of us will live our lives #cultofcovid 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe if the Government tried interprering the data rather than listening to people that care about nothing other than Covid 19, we might get back to living a normal life.

Complaining about governments listening to experts?

Michael Gove? Is that you?

In my opinion, if it was down to the majority of Conservatives and Boris Johnson, we would open up. 

The deafening noise from social media, which has time and time again proven to be a noisy minority when looking at election results, is something I believe they pay too much attention to. 

Most of the country couldn't give a duck about most of what is written on Twitter. 

The government need to actually believe it and ignore the noise. 

Open the ducking country up, let the economy open fully and let us live. 

They wouldn't lose votes, which is what they fear. 

11 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Mate if you want to hide behind your sofa then please do, the rest of us will live our lives #cultofcovid 

I deliberately wrote that from a neutral position. I'd be interested to know which points you angrily disagree with or why you think I want to hide behind my sofa.

It's mostly pretty obvious stuff, with a question at the end about how much risk there is. Hopefully there is little risk and we can open up again.

I do find it pretty amazing how you can have so much conviction in your opinions though after all your posts last Autumn.

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

In my opinion, if it was down to the majority of Conservatives and Boris Johnson, we would open up. 

The deafening noise from social media, which has time and time again proven to be a noisy minority when looking at election results, is something I believe they pay too much attention to. 

Most of the country couldn't give a duck about most of what is written on Twitter. 

The government need to actually believe it and ignore the noise. 

Open the ducking country up, let the economy open fully and let us live. 

They wouldn't lose votes, which is what they fear. 

Erm, it is down to Johnson and that large majority of Conservatives.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Erm, it is down to Johnson and that large majority of Conservatives.

If you think the decision was as simple as that, we'd already have an answer to the date. Which was the point of my post. 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I deliberately wrote that from a neutral position. I'd be interested to know which points you angrily disagree with or why you think I want to hide behind my sofa.

It's mostly pretty obvious stuff, with a question at the end about how much risk there is. Hopefully there is little risk and we can open up again.

I do find it pretty amazing how you can have so much conviction in your opinions though after all your posts last Autumn.

Ok I’ll spell it out for you. There is no risk in opening up, there never has been a risk even without vaccinations (Florida and Texas are your baseline if you want to compare) For the past 18 months you’ve supported lockdowns and restrictions and actually demanded they happen. I don’t and want a return to normal ASAP 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

there never has been a risk even without vaccinations

Try telling that to the families and friends of the 128,000 who have died or more to the point those on here who have lost loved ones. You crass insensitivity is actually quite sickening. Whether you agree with lockdowns or not, it might make sense to actually consider what you are posting and what effect it may have on some before going off at the hip about #cultofcovid and other such bolarks.