The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Boris statement 

We were the first nation in the world to administer a vaccine, and one of the fastest in Europe to roll it out. 

This was because we made the big call to pursue our own vaccine procurement, outside of the EMA. 

We made the tough decision to open up last summer when others said that we shouldn’t, and kept open this winter while others locked down.

As a result, we have the most open economy and society in Europe, and the fastest growing economy in the G7. 

We’re the first to emerge from the Omicron wave, because we focused our NHS on delivering the fastest booster campaign in Europe. 

And it is because of the extraordinary booster campaign – together with the way the public have responded to the Plan B measures – that we can return to Plan A in England and allow Plan B regulations to expire. 

Confronted by the nation’s biggest challenge since the Second World War and the worst pandemic since 1918, any government would get some things wrong. 

But this government got the big things right.

Edited by cstand

11 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

No it isn't - it's a plan to set up a shared IIS. That's completely different to what you emotively term a "vaccine passport"

Bearing in mind that this report is from long before covid19 was even a thing, I don't see much wrong with the above quote. As I say - seems a good idea

i didn't emotively term their plan a vaccine passport, they did it themselves.

"Commission proposal
for a common
vaccination card/
passport for EU citizens"

3 hours ago, cstand said:

Boris statement 

We were the first nation in the world to administer a vaccine, and one of the fastest in Europe to roll it out. 

This was because we made the big call to pursue our own vaccine procurement, outside of the EMA. 

We made the tough decision to open up last summer when others said that we shouldn’t, and kept open this winter while others locked down.

As a result, we have the most open economy and society in Europe, and the fastest growing economy in the G7. 

We’re the first to emerge from the Omicron wave, because we focused our NHS on delivering the fastest booster campaign in Europe. 

And it is because of the extraordinary booster campaign – together with the way the public have responded to the Plan B measures – that we can return to Plan A in England and allow Plan B regulations to expire. 

Confronted by the nation’s biggest challenge since the Second World War and the worst pandemic since 1918, any government would get some things wrong. 

But this government got the big things right.

and the most amount of deaths

vaccine roll out worked because we have the NHS

6 hours ago, sage said:

and the most amount of deaths

vaccine roll out worked because we have the NHS

The vaccine worked because we got in there first because we are an independent country. 

Most deaths due being a small country with many people being together and people  ignoring government guide lines.

Edited by cstand

25 minutes ago, cstand said:

The vaccine worked because we got in there first because we are an independent country. 

Most deaths due being a small country with many people being together and people  ignoring government guide lines.

Or going into lockdown a week late and making party political decisions like this weeks mask decision. 

We did order vaccines early. That much it true. 

To suggest our outcome is better than other Western European countries is fanciful. 

28 minutes ago, sage said:

Or going into lockdown a week late and making party political decisions like this weeks mask decision. 

We did order vaccines early. That much it true. 

To suggest our outcome is better than other Western European countries is fanciful. 

Comparing us to European countries without the same population density is fanciful 

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Comparing us to European countries without the same population density is fanciful 

Pretty difficult to draw any conclusions with respect to a country/s overall population density.

For a start, Finland has a population of 5.5 million and an area of 338,000 square Km giving an overall population density of 16/sq Km, yet 25% of the population live in Helsinki, an area of just 683 square Km - a density of 1912/sq Km.

If you look at Belgium, this has a population density approximately 35% greater than the UK, and a death toll per million at a similar level to the UK. The Netherlands has a population density approximately 50% greater than the UK, but their death toll per million is about half of ours.

Strangely enough, Belgium and Malta are the only EU countries to have a greater number of deaths per square Kilometre compared to the UK (0.93 and 1.62 respectively). The UK's 'area morbidity' is 0.63.

image.png.c0b0c93013c47ea0382fb189faa62c18.png

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Pretty difficult to draw any conclusions with respect to a country/s overall population density.

For a start, Finland has a population of 5.5 million and an area of 338,000 square Km giving an overall population density of 16/sq Km, yet 25% of the population live in Helsinki, an area of just 683 square Km - a density of 1912/sq Km.

If you look at Belgium, this has a population density approximately 35% greater than the UK, and a death toll per million at a similar level to the UK. The Netherlands has a population density approximately 50% greater than the UK, but their death toll per million is about half of ours.

Strangely enough, Belgium and Malta are the only EU countries to have a greater number of deaths per square Kilometre compared to the UK (0.93 and 1.62 respectively). The UK's 'area morbidity' is 0.63.

image.png.c0b0c93013c47ea0382fb189faa62c18.png

Interesting analysis! 

I'd genuinely be interested to see if there has ever been a comparison with age of population with severity of covid, and the same with obesity to include other relevant factors in judging how a pandemic has been managed, certainly more to it than density but it definitely plays a role.

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Interesting analysis! 

I'd genuinely be interested to see if there has ever been a comparison with age of population with severity of covid, and the same with obesity to include other relevant factors in judging how a pandemic has been managed, certainly more to it than density but it definitely plays a role.

There may be individual sets of data available (certainly in the UK), but I've no real desire to take this any further. It's just that whenever someone comes up with a statement suggesting x, y or z as the definitive answer, proof or explanation as to why a, b or c occurred, I like to explore that avenue to satisfy my own curiosity.

In the table I produced above, I realised straight away that 'average population density' was an utterly meaningless consideration to explain performance against Covid-19 deaths. I went through a similar exercise 18 month ago when the same sort of comparison was made with respect to the comparative population densities of the UK and Australia. People (the usual ones) were taking potshots at @Albert as a means to criticise the Australian approach and/or defend the British approach, ignoring the fact that 95% of the population of Australia live within 5% of the country's geographical area.

I was just surprised that the same argument looked as though it was rearing its head again, so I thought I would knock it on the head quickly.

It was an interesting exercise though, ranking alongside my evaluation of the 'most valuable players in terms of points accrued per start' I did a few weeks ago as 'a good thing to waste my time on while nursing a beer'.

Edited by Eddie

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Interesting analysis! 

Ah this thread never changes lol.  Comparing country A to country B is pointless.

I see the Netherlands has been mentioned a few times so I checked to see how many over 65s they have in their country.... 3.8m, compared to 12.5m in the UK.

As the average age of death with covid is 80+ guess which country had the higher number of covid related deaths?

Unless you are going to factor in everything, including politics, the media and the publics willingness to follow the rules, its all pointless.  I'm just happy its all over and we can start getting back to normal.  I pity those living in other more authoritarian countries.  

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Ah this thread never changes lol.  Comparing country A to country B is pointless.

I see the Netherlands has been mentioned a few times so I checked to see how many over 65s they have in their country.... 3.8m, compared to 12.5m in the UK.

As the average age of death with covid is 80+ guess which country had the higher number of covid related deaths?

Unless you are going to factor in everything, including politics, the media and the publics willingness to follow the rules, its all pointless.  I'm just happy its all over and we can start getting back to normal.  I pity those living in other more authoritarian countries.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60077767

Austria

Fines for those that refuse being vaccinated but what about people visiting Austria?

Will be interesting to see what happens with this situation will other EU countries follow their mandate?

Edited by cstand

I said in here there are many NHS staff who won’t have the vaccines and got shot down, its now estimated between 110000-125000 will not be vaccinated by the arbitrary deadline of 31st March. 

Yesterday there was a demonstration in London, which was reported as 100s, yet the number attending was estimated at over 100k. 

There is some powerful pictures and footage of NHS uniforms laid out in Trafalgar Square and NHS uniforms being thrown at the gates to Downing Street. 

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I said in here there are many NHS staff who won’t have the vaccines and got shot down, its now estimated between 110000-125000 will not be vaccinated by the arbitrary deadline of 31st March. 

Yesterday there was a demonstration in London, which was reported as 100s, yet the number attending was estimated at over 100k. 

There is some powerful pictures and footage of NHS uniforms laid out in Trafalgar Square and NHS uniforms being thrown at the gates to Downing Street. 

Who estimated it?