The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Libertarians rejoice.

Based upon a scientific study of a single incident, it is now apparent that 90% of the population vigorously oppose mask-wearing.

I had to take my car in for its MOT test this morning, and I caught the bus back home from Sawley.

9 other passengers, not a single mask between them, on the first day of the new restrictions.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Libertarians rejoice.

Based upon a scientific study of a single incident, it is now apparent that 90% of the population vigorously oppose mask-wearing.

I had to take my car in for its MOT test this morning, and I caught the bus back home from Sawley.

9 other passengers, not a single mask between them, on the first day of the new restrictions.

Bit off topic , even for this thread, but are you in Sawley near Ripon?

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Libertarians rejoice.

I've been shopping this morning and everyone was wearing a mask in the shop. Think it will be mixed bag whether people are wearing masks or not, some will forget to take them as they are out of routine with it, some will choose not to wear them and some will wear them as expected. Also there are some haven't stopped wearing them.

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My laughing emoji certainly wasn't to do with that remark. That's incredibly sad. It was in response to the woman being a mix of being a nut and from Stoke. Not exactly a winning combination.

It's OK Bris my humour knows no bounds, I can even laugh at death...sometimes!, Her looks belied her character, I thought i'd take a gamble when seeing where she was from...No doubt she told her friends she nearly dated a soft twit from Derby...Wake Up Coffee GIF by good-morning

PS...I didn't post TWIT!...lol

Edited by Unlucky Alf

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

I've been shopping this morning and everyone was wearing a mask in the shop. Think it will be mixed bag whether people are wearing masks or not, some will forget to take them as they are out of routine with it, some will choose not to wear them and some will wear them as expected. Also there are some haven't stopped wearing them.

Yes, I was shopping yesterday (Morrisons and Lidl) and just about everyone (mainly elderly shoppers - it was before 12) was wearing one. The people on the bus this morning were primarily young Marks and Sparks distribution centre employees (that's where most of them got off the bus).

1 hour ago, Archied said:

This has been a big problem from day. 1,, when you have censorship of debate there’s a problem and there’s lots of well qualified science and medical based views being silenced 

How much do you listen to the BBC?

They may interview people from one side, but they pretty much never have a one-sided debate.

The big problem is in your mind, at least with BBC Radio 5 and 4 which are all I listen to tbf.

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

They may interview people from one side, but they pretty much never have a one-sided debate.

The big problem is in your mind, at least with BBC Radio 5 and 4 which are all I listen to tbf.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1529079/bbc-bias-lacked-balance-hard-left-scientist-interview-omicron-variant

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-bbc-has-a-blind-spot-over-the-bias-of-its-covid-expert-susan-michie-wh62zc7bf?shareToken=ee23369e929a17e0002e164549d676f7

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1460841/BBC-news-bias-complaints-defund-the-bbc-ofcom-emily-maitlis

It has become a dirty phrase in recent times but 'doing your own research' is essential now-a-days imo when everything is so divided.  If you stick to purely left or right wing sources you're not getting the full picture or fair debate.  

2 hours ago, angieram said:

The most recent study about the effectiveness of mask wearing and other public health measures is this.

It isn't one study, it is an analysis of many studies, so it isn't just choosing one study that suits a person's point of view.

53% reduction in transmission is the average finding across 72 studies.

A government looking to keep case numbers down, limit the spread of a new variation and keep hospitals from being overwhelmed will look at that and feel that is a good return.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302

And here's an easy read version in the Guardian.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

Sorry but if that had any validity at all you would be seeing significant reduction in cases in Scotland, Wales , Germany and others who kept mask mandates as opposed to England which didn’t , not only are case numbers not significantly lower , they are higher,

so 53 % transmission reduction in real world terms is just plain rubbish and it’s this kind of stuff that make people say nope to outlandish garbage put out?‍♂️

so 53 % transmission reduction in real world terms is just plain rubbish and it’s this kind of stuff that make people say nope to outlandish garbage put out?‍♂️

What did I tell you about using fibbin' archied numbers? ?

Why is it 'just rubbish' as opposed to the situation likely to be a damned sight worse without people wearing masks? Your scientific knowledge and understanding always ceases to amaze me.

Sorry but if that had any validity at all you would be seeing significant reduction in cases in Scotland, Wales , Germany and others who kept mask mandates as opposed to England which didn’t , not only are case numbers not significantly lower , they are higher,

Mmm, 72 scientific studies versus Archied.

It's a tough call.

But I am going to do my bit to help my friend, and all the other people I don't even know who might be safer and feel reassured by me wearing a mask for a short while on occasion.

Had booster this morning at a walk in place . Person in front of me, and the one behind me, were turned away as their six months period doesn't end til next week.

Personally think they made a right mess of announcing the change to 3 months to the public first, without telling the people doing the work. 

Also had my first ever flu jab this morning . Finally caved in to pressure from Mrs KR. 

Edited by ketteringram

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What did I tell you about using fibbin' archied numbers? ?

Why is it 'just rubbish' as opposed to the situation likely to be a damned sight worse without people wearing masks? Your scientific knowledge and understanding always ceases to amaze me.

Fibbin ????

53 % transmission reduction is fibben or at best plucked out of the air,

real world case figures not only don’t support that they actually make a mockery of it , 

masks do bugger all , countries in Europe and uk do worse with mask mandates ( even with more added restrictions) than England did without 

USA states like floridia and California tell the same story , Sweden same story ,

Just think how bad it would be without masks don’t cut it and are about as scientific as , if your auntie had balls ,,,

oh never mind you keep clinging to your leaky life boat

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

Mmm, 72 scientific studies versus Archied.

It's a tough call.

But I am going to do my bit to help my friend, and all the other people I don't even know who might be safer and feel reassured by me wearing a mask for a short while on occasion.

72 chosen studies versus indisputable real world numbers , 

even the most ardent must recognise 53 % infection reduction is ludicrous when put against real figures,

it’s not the start any more , we are two years in and evidence is there and can’t be disputed ,

the I care you don’t line is not valid , if you are going to mandate people’s lives and freedoms then you need evidence those mandates are working, real world figures clearly say they are not?‍♂️

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I listen to and watch the bbc pretty much as much as other channels and sources 

Now masks are back(kind of), isolate if you get the dreaded variant etc etc I wonder how long it will be until you can only buy a drink if you have a meal rule comes out again, remember that one. Never forget what we accepted will always return to become the normal again! What a tragedy this has all become.