The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, cstand said:

No sane person should be booking a holiday abroad in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, none of my family or friends are going abroad this year who in the right mind would contemplate making the situation even more intolerable than it already is?

I wonder how many people who have bitterly complained about the government’s handling of the pandemic have actually planned holidays abroad this year?

I’m sane and I’ve booked. 

You stick to what you want to do and let others do their own thing. 

30 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The government say "You can but really you shouldn't".

What they mean is "You can but really you shouldn't unless you are one of us or very rich and important".

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

What they mean is "You can but really you shouldn't unless you are one of us or very rich and important".

No, that's not how it is. And if we're dangerous no-one will let us in - like Portugal and Malta are now wanting negative tests or vaccinated.

They make their choices too.

We went last year, we followed local regulations. I'd rather go abroad than to the supermarket!

9 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Yep each to their own, we have decided not to do things like holidays, meals out , football and such like until this all stops and the world goes back to normal, 

chances are that’s our lives spoilt possibly forever but at some point you have to stand by what you believe ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thats funny but we’ve booked the same place we always go, flights were cheaper than normal, apartment was cheaper than normal and car hire half what you’d normally pay in August. 

Even with having to pay for tests we will still have a cheaper holiday than we normally do. 

Oh, and it will be a lot quieter than normal meaning we can get in all of our favourite restaurants, no problem. 

So I’m guessing your statement doesn’t ring true, does it. 

Some people need to get off their high horse and start living again. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just how it should be. 

If that's their decision, yes. Our Govt.'s decision is that we can travel out of our home countries according to a traffic light (risk) system.

If you want to follow other rules well that's your choice, not the official line.

13 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Some people need to get off their high horse and start living again.

Not sure I follow you.

What I pointed out was precisely what the mixed messages where 'our' government were on the one hand implementing a flexible 'traffic light' system, yet on the other hand issuing statements - or rather soundbites - saying "well, under the circumstances, seeing as we reserve the right to change the lights from green to red just after you've passed through them, perhaps you shouldn't really be consider holidaying abroad this year".

The second part about being "rich or important enough" was again a dig at the fact that bigwigs will have no problem coming in and out of the country for the final stages of the European Football Championships without being subject to quarantine rules, irrespective of what colour on the list they reside in.

So why am I on my 'high horse' and what do I need to do in order to start 'living again'?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If that's their decision, yes. Our Govt.'s decision is that we can travel out of our home countries according to a traffic light (risk) system.

If you want to follow other rules well that's your choice, not the official line.

see above

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What I pointed out was precisely what the mixed messages where 'our' government were on the one hand implementing a flexible 'traffic light' system, yet on the other hand issuing statements - or rather soundbites - saying "well, under the circumstances, seeing as we reserve the right to change the lights from green to red just after you've passed through them, perhaps you shouldn't really be consider holidaying abroad this year".

They are just sound bite statements, NOT law. Bit different.

Spain just now asking for negative test or double-jabbed vaccination evidence to enter.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

They are just sound bite statements, NOT law. Bit different.

Spain just now asking for negative test or double-jabbed vaccination evidence to enter.

What bit of 'mixed messages' is just so difficult for you to understand? I put it to you, and @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army, that you are not reacting to what I posted but to who actually posted it.

Understandable under the circumstances. I do get a 'bit preachy' now and again, but this is not really one of those occasions.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not sure I follow you.

The second part about being "rich or important enough" was again a dig at the fact that bigwigs will have no problem coming in and out of the country for the final stages of the European Football Championships without being subject to quarantine rules, irrespective of what colour on the list they reside in.

So why am I on my 'high horse' and what do I need to do in order to start 'living again'?

Your statement didn't mention anything about European football. It was implementing that the government don't really want anybody to go on holiday. 

I think if anyone wants to go away, go - so long as you accept any risk, and stick to the rules applying to wherever you're going, and also when you return.  What annoys me is people going away to countries that are borderline, then moan like hell when the rules change whilst they're away - travel abroad is very much risk based at the moment so you have to accept whatever happens as part of your decision to go.  Not moan if our, or a foreign Government decides you need a test or now need to quarantine. 

On a personal level, we've chosen not to go abroad - our choice, but I don't judge others for doing so.  The only thing I do judge is if they then blatantly ignore guidelines, and put others at risk, but that's more general anyway and not confined to travel abroad.  I've just spent a couple of days working in London - first time in 15 months.  Was weird, but great to see some of my colleagues face to face however, in consideration of my family, and others, I've done a flow test just to make sure I'm still negative, in acknowledgement I had increased my risk of exposure by a commute into London. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What bit of 'mixed messages' is just so difficult for you to understand? I put it to you, and @Bald Eagle's Barmy Army, that you are not reacting to what I posted but to who actually posted it.

Understandable under the circumstances. I do get a 'bit preachy' now and again, but this is not really one of those occasions.

So if we're both missing your point, consider that you are not putting it across very well, at all.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it deemed a 'radical' plan?

We don't announce daily flu deaths or infections and we tolerate those.

Surely once the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated and the jab offered to anyone else that wants it - thats all we can do.  The more radical thing would be to keep 'living' under lockdowns of varying degrees.

30 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Why is it deemed a 'radical' plan?

Can only assume because it's from an Australian news source. The Singaporeans are placing their faith in mass vaccination, the Aussies are placing theirs in squeaky tight borders (not gonna work!).

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds pretty sensible to me, let’s hope we follow. Not sure our media will be happy with not showing the case numbers though. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

We don't announce daily flu deaths or infections and we tolerate those.

List of notifiable diseases

Diseases notifiable to local authority proper officers under the Health Protection (Notification) Regulations 2010:

• Acute encephalitis
  • Acute infectious hepatitis
  • Acute meningitis
  • Acute poliomyelitis
  • Anthrax
  • Botulism
  • Brucellosis
  • Cholera
  • COVID-19
  • Diphtheria
  • Enteric fever (typhoid or paratyphoid fever)
  • Food poisoning
  • Haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS)
  • Infectious bloody diarrhoea
  • Invasive group A streptococcal disease
  • Legionnaires’ disease
  • Leprosy
  • Malaria
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal septicaemia
  • Mumps
  • Plague
  • Rabies
  • Rubella
  • Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
  • Scarlet fever
  • Smallpox
  • Tetanus
  • Tuberculosis
  • Typhus
  • Viral haemorrhagic fever (VHF)
  • Whooping cough
  • Yellow fever

Report other diseases that may present significant risk to human health under the category ‘other significant disease’.