The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Now masks are back(kind of), isolate if you get the dreaded variant etc etc I wonder how long it will be until you can only buy a drink if you have a meal rule comes out again, remember that one. Never forget what we accepted will always return to become the normal again! What a tragedy this has all become.  

That’s the least of it , the trivial ludicrous stuff,

don’t ever forget , leaving our families / friends to die alone , or suffer for months and months alone , buried alone , not allowed to support and comfort our friends and families who have lost someone or may be going through extreme mental , emotional or physical difficulties , 

never never never again , masks the thin edge of the wedge driven taken out driven in again , I will never be dehumanised again and anybody saying it’s only a mask has a very short memory ,

covid is not the be all and end all of everything that people have become obsessive about ,, there’s real lives , real tragedy s , real joys all around us all the time , it’s the nature of life ,, jeez covid would barely scrape into the top ten of things that kill and or disable us on a daily basis

whos bothere about the big rise in non covid excess deaths we are now seeing in stats ? Certainly not the government or the media 

Edited by Archied

44 minutes ago, Archied said:

That’s the least of it , the trivial ludicrous stuff,

don’t ever forget , leaving our families / friends to die alone , or suffer for months and months alone , buried alone , not allowed to support and comfort our friends and families who have lost someone or may be going through extreme mental , emotional or physical difficulties , 

never never never again , masks the thin edge of the wedge driven taken out driven in again , I will never be dehumanised again and anybody saying it’s only a mask has a very short memory ,

covid is not the be all and end all of everything that people have become obsessive about ,, there’s real lives , real tragedy s , real joys all around us all the time , it’s the nature of life ,, jeez covid would barely scrape into the top ten of things that kill and or disable us on a daily basis

whos bothere about the big rise in non covid excess deaths we are now seeing in stats ? Certainly not the government or the media 

I agree with what you say about worst effects of lockdown it has been a terrible price to pay.

But actually COVID is already in the top three of things that will kill you. And of course the direct effects of COVID could have been a lot worse if not for lockdown.

27 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I agree with what you say about worst effects of lockdown it has been a terrible price to pay.

But actually COVID is already in the top three of things that will kill you. And of course the direct effects of COVID could have been a lot worse if not for lockdown.

July 2021 COVID was the 9th biggest killer , not checked since then 

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Well in July it was not a big killer that month it's true. It's mainly a winter thing. 

It rose there from 26 th spot in June ,, have it your own way but it’s clear that covid is far far from  the be all end all it’s being scaretrayed by the government and media 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t understand your point. Both are public companies.

Not sure but he may mean the az one is the supposed not for profit one ??‍♂️, maybe it’s because it not approved in the USA , who knows ,best to dig around

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t understand your point. Both are public companies.

I would be pretty pissed if I was a homeless addict with mental issues and my broker had steered me to AZ rather then phizer ,,,

???, just joshing ,hope your sense of humour is good?

Positive news is that deaths are falling (although high), rates of hospitalisation are falling (although still high). Cases have been rising to very high levels but seemed to have flattened off and starting to fall a bit. 

Think the gov are doing the right thing here by telling everyone to put on masks inside and frankly shouldn't have stopped saying. 

This new variant has got people worried but there's still a lot we don't know so taking precautions is good but we've not got much to go on it whether how much in practice it impacts the vaccines effectiveness, how infectious it is and most importantly whether it's more or less dangerous.

I don't think we need to be doom and gloom yet. 

Edited by alexxxxx

3 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

This new variant has got people worried but there's still a lot we don't know so taking precautions is good but we've not got much to go on it whether how much in practice it impacts the vaccines effectiveness, how infectious it is and most importantly whether it's more or less dangerous.

I don't think we need to be doom and gloom yet. 

The ECDC released a tweet a little while earlier today...

44 cases of the new variant so far and 'all cases for which there is information available on severity were either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms. So far, no severe cases or deaths have been reported among these cases.'

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

Sorry - was just laughing at the idea of stories in the Express and The Times (or any newspapers for that matter) taking the moral high ground over whether another new source is biased or not ?

I'd question the bit in bold - i know what you're getting at, but in reality it's just as big a part of the problem With News Media running purely on stoking division, "doing your own research" basically involves people researching until they find something that confirms their own bias/gut feeling or whatever - and then getting furious at strangers on the internet who disagree

I think even if people read new sources from both sides of a debate they will still side with the one that confirms their bias

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think even if people read new sources from both sides of a debate they will still side with the one that confirms their bias

Well at least if you do that you at least know what the other side thinks. 

Furthermore you quite often have to go to independent sources these days to find out news that non of the mainstream outlets want to cover.  The regular large anti-vax passport marches in London are barely reported in the media are an example of this ? 

I had my booster at the weekend and it was interesting to read the very detailed information sheets that they provide

The Moderna booster that I had clearly states a rare side-effect of myocarditis/pericarditis, primarily in younger male adults

There are even numbers of reported cases freely published online by official medical agencies

Up to 31 May 2021 in the EEA, 145 cases of myocarditis occurred among people who received Comirnaty and 19 cases among people who received Spikevax. In addition, 138 cases of pericarditis occurred following the use of Comirnaty and 19 cases following the use of Spikevax. It is estimated that around 177 million doses of Comirnaty and 20 million doses of Spikevax have been administered in the EEA up to 31 May 2021.

So that's 321 cases out of 197 million doses or a 0.0001629 chance of the side effect

But of course - look at social media and you see people saying it's being covered up (it's not - it's a published side effect with a published number of occurrences) and they are wasting their lives finding news reports of these poor lads who have been affected and saying this is somehow proof of the cover-up. Being egged on by grifters like the Ickes who get filthy rich from exploiting those people vulnerable to conspiracy theories

44 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sorry - was just laughing at the idea of stories in the Express and The Times (or any newspapers for that matter) taking the moral high ground over whether another new source is biased or not ?

I'd question the bit in bold - i know what you're getting at, but in reality it's just as big a part of the problem With News Media running purely on stoking division, "doing your own research" basically involves people researching until they find something that confirms their own bias/gut feeling or whatever - and then getting furious at strangers on the internet who disagree

This is true. Confirmation bias is a big problem with the internet. 

14 minutes ago, maxjam said:

How many marches have there been and how many articles can you find on the BBC or Sky?

That aren't either tucked away in regional news (BBC) or lead with a small number of arrests (Sky)

And the BBC angle is that police were injured. To be fair anti vaxers are a small but vocal minority.  

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

And the BBC angle is that police were injured. To be fair anti vaxers are a small but vocal minority.  

Exactly.  

Tens of thousands have marched, multiple weekends.  BBC and Sky manage an article apiece about 10-12 arrests.

I mean I could go on, but you get my point ? 

Edited by maxjam