Best song with someone's name in the title (with new liberal rules)

sage

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Bloody hell, how have I not posted this earlier ? I’m ashamed.

As fans of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix anticipate the release of a new album featuring 12 previously unreleased studio tracks in March, his former girlfriend Kathy Etchingham recalls their relationship.

In September 1966, a DJ and hairdresser from Derby walked into the Scotch of St James nightclub in London.

"There were stairs winding down to the basement and everybody was leaning over the banisters to listen to this guy sitting in the corner of the club playing," remembers Etchingham, who was then just 20. "They were enthralled

I used to take him round to my friend, Brenda, who'd just had a baby. He didn't have much money and he bought the baby a little toy pony. That was very sweet."

Virtually penniless, the couple would relax by watching Coronation Street or playing board games such as Monopoly and Risk.

A particular favourite was Twister, which would usually end up with the two of them collapsing on the floor in giggles.

But the couple also had blazing rows - particularly over cooking. One such argument, she says, led to the composition of a famous Hendrix song.

That evening, Etchingham was trying to make mashed potato and not doing a very good job of it.

"He comes along and tastes them with a fork and says they're all lumpy," she recalls. "I knew he couldn't cook himself and that's how the argument started. It ended with my screaming and shouting, throwing the plates on the floor and marching out."

Etchingham spent the night at a friend's and Hendrix missed her so much that he sat down to write one of his biggest hits, The Wind Cries Mary.

Mary is Etchingham's middle name and the guitarist would sometimes use it to wind her up. That may be why when she first heard the song, she was distinctly underwhelmed.

"It was just the twanging of an electric guitar disconnected," she says. "It was only when it was recorded that I realised it was a nice, sad song - he was obviously a bit upset."

The Wind Cries Mary was released in 1967 and featured in the US release of his debut album Are You Experienced.

Archived