Season Stats

Mckram

Just looking at our results this year and found the following:

- Won 7 and not conceded a goal in any of these.

- Lost 12 and only scored in 1 of these (Luton).

- Drawn 7 with 2 clean sheets and 5 being 1-1 (we scored first in all 5).

So every game we’ve scored first (12 games) we’ve not lost and every game we’ve conceded first (12 games) we’ve lost.

Key to the rest of the season, don’t concede first!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mckram said:

So every game we’ve scored first (12 games) we’ve not lost and every game we’ve conceded first (12 games) we’ve lost.

Football management is so easy when you put things like that!

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Football management is so easy when you put things like that!

Stats have a funny way of making it look easy.

Pretty impressive that we’re the only team to not have conceded when winning in the whole league though...although it might say more about how few wins we’ve had! 

4 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Pretty impressive that we’re the only team to not have conceded when winning in the whole league though...although it might say more about how few wins we’ve had! 

I guess the acid test now for the side and Rooney as a manager is getting a win when we do fall behind......

Those stats are exactly what you’d expect to see in a team that can’t score goals. For us to get wins we have to keep a clean sheet, as we’re incapable of scoring more than one goal. And as soon as we go behind we’re ducked because we can’t score enough goals to make a comeback, nor do we have the ability to break a deep lying defence down. 

We won’t be able to go through the season scoring first every match, it’s just not going to happen. So we need to find a way to score more goals, so we can win games even when things don’t start perfectly. Only way to do that is by improving the squad before tomorrow’s deadline.

2 hours ago, Mckram said:

We have conceded when winning (as our multiple 1-1 draws evidence), though I know what you were meaning. I'd phrase it differently - we've not won any game in which we've conceded - which sounds a little less positive. Though I'd be quite happy for that to continue if we keep another 20 clean sheets.

1 hour ago, Crazy said:

We have conceded when winning (as our multiple 1-1 draws evidence), though I know what you were meaning. I'd phrase it differently - we've not won any game in which we've conceded - which sounds a little less positive. Though I'd be quite happy for that to continue if we keep another 20 clean sheets.

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

We were leading against Forest, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Wycombe & Coventry but ended up 1-1

Apologies - when I wrote not to have conceded when winning, I meant winning the game...not winning at a certain point in the game.

My first post covered the 1-1 draws when I said we’ve not lost when scoring first.

Although like you say Crazy, to say we’ve not won any game we’ve conceded sounds bad...and probably worst to say every game we’ve conceded first we’ve lost! 

• 2 months later...
On 31/01/2021 at 10:01, Mckram said:

Just to update this now...

- Lost 23 and only scored in 5 of these games.

- Won 11 and conceded in 2 of them.

- Drawn 10 and came from behind in only 2 of these (Forest and Brentford).

Concede first we’ve taken 2 points.

Score first we’ve taken 38 points.

No goals in the game we’ve taken 3 points.

Safe to say we need to score first in the next 2 games! 

On 31/01/2021 at 10:01, Mckram said:

Like v Brum on Saturday ?

I came across a pretty interesting stat today. Barring a massive win against Wednesday, this will be the first season ever in the history of the club that we will finish with a negative home goal difference when competing in the 2nd tier or lower. It will only be the 7th time this has happened altogether, the other six times being our last 4 Premier League campaigns and top flight relegations in 1991 and 1921.

3 hours ago, Mckram said:

Just to update this now...

- Lost 23 and only scored in 5 of these games.

- Won 11 and conceded in 2 of them.

- Drawn 10 and came from behind in only 2 of these (Forest and Brentford).

Concede first we’ve taken 2 points.

Score first we’ve taken 38 points.

No goals in the game we’ve taken 3 points.

Safe to say we need to score first in the next 2 games! 

Need to score second too then we have a chance.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which exact defence did you mean, injuries have caused it to change?

It was the defence from around December to late February where we were winning 1-0 each game with the odd better result.

It all changed for me when Rooney made those big changes against Cardiff. Think Edmundson was at defensive midfield, Wisdom put out at right back and was it Mengi at CB?

I’d love to see the stats with our different defences this season, but for me Evans was more than good enough as a fill in until the end of the season at the back.

Could be argued we upset the balance of the team by all of the ins and outs in January?

Archived