New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

Paddy power suspended betting on Steve Cooper.

I know very little of Cooper, other than he is the current manager of Swansea, and am I right in thinking he was highly regarded within the England youth set up?

If he were to leave a 6th place team to join the bottom of the table team there must be something about the project that excites him.

31 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Wouldn’t be particularly enthused if we hired Di Matteo, but I will forever love him for delivering the biggest poohouse Champions League victory of all time. It was magically crap.

Same, it was terrible to watch although admirable. He massively failed at recently relegated Villa, whilst spending £75m, he got 1 win in 12 games. 

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know very little of Cooper, other than he is the current manager of Swansea, and am I right in thinking he was highly regarded within the England youth set up?

If he were to leave a 6th place team to join the bottom of the table team there must be something about the project that excites him.

England.

Ultimately, over the last c. 10 years, we have hired a number of different managers with differing styles.

The best spell came under a manager who pretty much no one wanted, who’d been really poor at most places he’d been at recently. The worst spells came under someone who was considered by plenty at the time as the closest thing to a guaranteed promotion from this level (for some reason) and someone who had won multiple trophies in Holland.

The moral to this story is that no one really knows how the hire is going to go. We could hire someone who looks amazing on paper who is terrible, and someone who looks to not tick any boxes but who gets us on an amazing run. Probably best just to wait and see what happens once they’ve got their feet on the table.

That said, I’d be a bit uncomfortable with Rooney. Not because I don’t think he’d be good, I have no idea. But given the various news stories we have seen it would potentially add credence to the idea he was undermining Cocu. Giving the managers job to the captain who has played so far beneath himself this season, for whatever reason, would not be a great look.

Surely you would expect especially from new owners that they would have already sourced at least a couple of candidates for Cocus position, before he left. They must have already had an idea that Cocu wasn't taking us in the right direction,ideas of whom they would like to replace him with and releasing the manager without a firm objective of a replacement doesn't show a great deal of hindsight, responsibility towards the club.

Only hope they have a target,,negotiations are being implemented and we are pleasantly surprised by their ambition and intent with this the most important recruitment.

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's a case of money talks I reckon. 

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

His Father is Keith Cooper, A former top flight Referee.

cooper_keith

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Personally speaking I have 3 potential managers who I believe maybe possible candidates that we could hire.

In order of preference they are:

Ryan Lowe (Current Plymouth Argyle manager)

Paul Cook (Available)

John Terry (I assume would like to become No1 after serving his time as assistant)

I know Mel prefers not to pinch managers, but it won't probably be his decision?

I really like Ryan Lowe, seems to have a great attitude, understands attitude and work ethic as well as ability are all needed.

Paul Cook must I think get his chance with a higher regarded Championship side at some point. 

John Terry I admire for taking a position as an assistant, before looking for a managers role. He has an awesome will to win and I think players would respond to him

Anyone is a gamble but for me I would like any of these

Terry for drawing power and he will not get the Chelsea job until Lamps has done with it.

12 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If Steve Cooper left Swansea to come here the first thing we should do is drug test him.

Why? He is someone heavily into youth progression. At Swansea he is greatly limited in that regards, relying a lot on developing other teams players, as their Academy is nothing like ours in respect of facilities, pathways, etc.

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I mean we keep having this talk of who the next manager will be.

We all know it will be Rooney with an experienced number 2. 

Which quite frankly would be poor from us.

And if he brings John Gregory as his number 2 then I'm finished with this club 

Flaunt Long Hair GIF by VPRO

Steve McClaren. 

-He plays the kind of football we need right now.

-He has the obvious connection with our club.

-He's informed about us. Keeps up to date with the club and Opta stats.

- Would continue to give the youth an opportunity.

-He'd allow Rooney to take an assistant role. 

-He'd get us promoted with a bit of backing.

-Currently unattached and available.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Why? He is someone heavily into youth progression. At Swansea he is greatly limited in that regards, relying a lot on developing other teams players, as their Academy is nothing like ours in respect of facilities, pathways, etc.

That's the only way I can make it make sense. 

He would be a perfect fit and the irony is that we didn't see it at the point of appointing Cocu. Although, Cocu had a similar reputation at a much higher level and with silverware to boot. 

My only point is that I find it difficult to believe we're about to commence negotiations with another club to appoint their manager.

Not that I think it’ll happen but I read an article that stated Cooper lives away from his family, who are based in Wrexham. 

My geography is not a strong point but google maps tells me that Derby to Wrexham is around an hour and a half closer than Swansea to Wrexham which may come into his thinking.

His Swansea team play excellent football, and if you care for what underlying data predicts will happen on the pitch, are one of the best teams in the league despite relatively modest resources, Andre Ayew aside. On paper at least, it would seem an excellent appointment. But I imagine very unlikely.

Archived