If Rooney doesn’t get the Manager job....

Jimbo Ram

What will happen? My gut feeling is he will ask for his contract to be terminated and leave. For me that would be best for all parties, especially in terms of the midfield 3 we need and for the new Manager not to have the shadow of Rooney hanging over him (or her).....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What will happen? My gut feeling is he will ask for his contract to be terminated and leave. For me that would be best for all parties, especially in terms of the midfield 3 we need and for the new Manager not to have the shadow of Rooney hanging over him (or her).....

That would be for the best. I’m not sure he’ll ask for it though...

No way Rooney walks away without getting all his money. If he doesn’t get the job, he’ll just not put the effort in again for the new man and undermine his position too. Fed up of him using us for his own ambitions frankly. It’s all academic anyway, because he’ll definitely get the job, and things will only get even worse from then on in.

Rooneys not making Lawrence and Holmes turn into headless chickens in the final third giving the ball away with every pass they make, neither is he the reason Cocu wouldn’t make changes in games until it was too late, or the reason we didn’t buy a decent striker in the transfer window or various other reasons were in the position we are now. His best days are behind him yes but he shouldn’t be the scape goat, if he needs his contract ripping up so do the rest of the team. 

Hopefully he would stay on, keep playing, accept that now is not his time, and continue to learn and back the new manager. 

I year or two learning from someone like Eddie Howe would do him the world of good, you'd think.

Whether or not any new manager would fancy having to manage someone like Rooney now, especially after openly pitching for their job, is another story.

I can honestly see Rooney going full Donald Trump if he's asked to vacate the managerial seat. No way will he be happy to go back to being a player/coach and taking orders from John frigging Gregory.

If it's not going to be Rooney then it's going to have to be someone with a big enough pair to deal with Rooney. Like Benitez.

On 22/11/2020 at 16:02, David said:

The new manager will continue to play him, keep him as captain most likely.

What are the lotto numbers this week?

On 22/11/2020 at 16:41, ColonelBlimp said:

Won't happen, hopefully Rooney does get the job, think he'll be excellent. 

Got to be better than management by committee 

look at the 16th minute in the Bristol game   We had started strongly. Rooney collared Lawrence and was telling him what to do. Lawrence's response seemed to say 'can't quite agree with what you're saying but if you're trying to demotivate me you're sure going the right way about it' 

There's no denying his God given talents with a football - and he was good against Bristol - but imo you take a big risk if you appoint him as manager. And if you don't he just has to go, clean break   

2 hours ago, Beetroot said:

I can honestly see Rooney going full Donald Trump if he's asked to vacate the managerial seat. No way will he be happy to go back to being a player/coach and taking orders from John frigging Gregory.

If it's not going to be Rooney then it's going to have to be someone with a big enough pair to deal with Rooney. Like Benitez.

........ or Big Sam??

I think there very good chance on current form Rooney will not get the job of manager. 

If that is the case then it will depend on which manager comes in and there relationship. 

Long term i cannot see him staying here beyond the end of this season barring some miracle form and run of results.. 

I am wondering if Bet32 wrote into the agreement to pay into Rooney's wages that he has to play in any match when he was not either too unfit or injured to set foot on the pitch.

He is unlikely to be an asset to them unless he is actually playing football.

I can't see Bet32 being happy to sponsor anyone to work behind the scenes be they trainer, coach, manager figurehed or any other functionary.

Archived