If Rooney doesn’t get the Manager job....

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney has to get the job, we've put ourselves completely behind the eight ball on this one. I don't say I like it, just that I don't think we can afford to arrive at any other outcome.

SCENARIO ONE: Rooney doesn't get the job

• We can't afford to pay off Rooney. As a player he's getting slower and older by the minute.
  • Having made such a statement to want to get into management he will struggle to go back into 'I'm here to learn'.
  • Any manager coming in will know this, they can't win with Rooney in the dressing room - be successful, Rooney's going to be cheesed off that his chance has gone, not be successful and the gossip mongers blame Rooney for conspiring against him from day one

SCENARIO TWO: Rooney does get the job, goes on his own

• We've got an untrained (literally) manager thrust into a dogfight with a team that gets a nosebleed when it crosses the half way line
  • A new owner is going to be very wary throwing too much cash at a manager who has zero expertise
  • We are pure rubbish at the moment and little against Brizzle suggested an instant fix is possible

SCENARIO THREE: Rooney gets the job, with a DoF above him

• The only option on the table, given what we have left ourselves with, we will lose Rosenoir at some point (he's in the same place as Wazza, wants the next step) but that is the price to pay - at least we can afford that one
  • Who that DoF might be? Actually, this is where McClaren might well be the option, they know each other from England (not sure if their ManUre careers overlapped at all)
  • Failing that there will be some old sheepskin wearing dinosaur that we can tempt with a box of cigars and the dream to go to the rodeo one last time

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Rooney has to get the job, we've put ourselves completely behind the eight ball on this one. I don't say I like it, just that I don't think we can afford to arrive at any other outcome.

• We can't afford to pay off Rooney. As a player he's getting slower and older by the minute.
  • Having made such a statement to want to get into management he will struggle to go back into 'I'm here to learn'.
  • Any manager coming in will know this, they can't win with Rooney in the dressing room - be successful, Rooney's going to be cheesed off that his chance has gone, not be successful and the gossip mongers blame Rooney for conspiring against him from day one

• We've got an untrained (literally) manager thrust into a dogfight with a team that gets a nosebleed when it crosses the half way line
  • A new owner is going to be very wary throwing too much cash at a manager who has zero expertise
  • We are pure rubbish at the moment and little against Brizzle suggested an instant fix is possible

• The only option on the table, given what we have left ourselves with, we will lose Rosenoir at some point (he's in the same place as Wazza, wants the next step) but that is the price to pay - at least we can afford that one
  • Who that DoF might be? Actually, this is where McClaren might well be the option, they know each other from England (not sure if their ManUre careers overlapped at all)
  • Failing that there will be some old sheepskin wearing dinosaur that we can tempt with a box of cigars and the dream to go to the rodeo one last time

image.png.99b804e58b600c8409a30a2dac5bca23.pngHe'd fit right in. 

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Alternatively, Rooney doesn't get the job, but a manager is appointed who has the ability to win him around and get the most out of him by mentoring him for the remainder of his contract and is able to earn his respect. Rooney is then motivated to learn from the Manager and either moves on at the end of his contract or takes over further down the line.

Have you never seen a new manager come into a job where there is an unsuccessful internal candidate and had to manage that? I have. I've done it.

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

Alternatively, Rooney doesn't get the job, but a manager is appointed who has the ability to win him around and get the most out of him by mentoring him for the remainder of his contract and is able to earn his respect. Rooney is then motivated to learn from the Manager and either moves on at the end of his contract or takes over further down the line.

Have you never seen a new manager come into a job where there is an unsuccessful internal candidate and had to manage that? I have. I've done it.

Yeah it sucks.  But only if you know you have honed the skills for the job and lost out to some gob poo who talks a good game.

I'd hope Rooney could see that- after all he came here to play and learn apparently.  Depends if he thinks he can learn from someone new . If not I guess he'll terminate his contract and go and work for Everton or United in some capacity.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think it can be different when the person has been acting manager. If we had appointed straight after Cocu I wouldn't see a problem. But now Rooney has got himself there he will be reluctant to let it go.

If he doesn't get it, I think he'll go back to being a player but i suspect he'll look for another managerial job if his appetite is now sufficiently whetted.  If one turns up then he'd leave and it's likely to be no later than end January since if he moves in January he can move as a player/manager and if he got a job after January he couldn't play for the team he moved to

And I think the prospect of him playing for a team adds to his attractiveness on the pitch and in Sponsorship.

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm not saying Rooney is going to be a snake in the grass but I personally don't think he's going to want to sit and wait while Lampard, Gerard, possibly Terry, Campbell, Scholes, Neville (G&P) and even Beckham (in a different way) make their ways forward in management and ownership.

To your question of whether I've done it or not - yes, I have. But while I might want to tell myself it was down to my darned fine management style I can bet each time (and it has been more than once) the person on the other side was thinking about paying for their kids to get through university, outstanding bonus, mortgage on the house, final salary pension or even the likelihood they would find it hard to get as good a job elsewhere. I'm going out on a limb to suggest that Rooney doesn't lie in bed worrying about making the last payment on the sofa.

For that reason, I don't believe Rooney will hang around long if he doesn't get the job, or something that shows him a clear path to the job (e.g. DoF above him). I also think we're in a place where we cannot let him go - it would be a media car crash, never mind financially catastrophic.

So, we're in a bit of a pickle - I think.

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Have you never seen a new manager come into a job where there is an unsuccessful internal candidate and had to manage that? I have. I've done it

Me too, at least 5 times, only once did it get really tough as he tried to undermine me with the rest of the team. Solved by moving him to another team. He did make Project Manager later, but was so bad he lasted only 6 months. Was widely known as a sulker!

That is the potential worry about any member of our interim set up.

19 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

But now Rooney has got himself there he will be reluctant to let it go

How do you know he's enjoying it?  Sure his public face says all the right things but somehow the underlying buzz for the job doesn't seem to come across to me. Even FL in recent interviews is saying how tough he is finding the job and its not getting easier with time. Is Rooney that driven to tough it out? 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not saying Rooney is going to be a snake in the grass but I personally don't think he's going to want to sit and wait while Lampard, Gerard, possibly Terry, Campbell, Scholes, Neville (G&P) and even Beckham (in a different way) make their ways forward in management and ownership.

To your question of whether I've done it or not - yes, I have. But while I might want to tell myself it was down to my darned fine management style I can bet each time (and it has been more than once) the person on the other side was thinking about paying for their kids to get through university, outstanding bonus, mortgage on the house, final salary pension or even the likelihood they would find it hard to get as good a job elsewhere. I'm going out on a limb to suggest that Rooney doesn't lie in bed worrying about making the last payment on the sofa.

For that reason, I don't believe Rooney will hang around long if he doesn't get the job, or something that shows him a clear path to the job (e.g. DoF above him). I also think we're in a place where we cannot let him go - it would be a media car crash, never mind financially catastrophic.

So, we're in a bit of a pickle - I think.

Well, neither of us knew when we had this conversation what we know know. That at least in the short term, Wayne will be working with a sort of DoF, and hopefully one he respects from his playing days. 

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Lottery numbers available at a reasonable price.....

Archived