Nigel Clough to the Stags

Carl Sagan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Pearson. said:

Really? Take a look at the history of Burton Albion. 

His first stint was boosted by getting his Forest mates to come and play amateur football as recently retired pros. Yes he did well in getting a team full of ex Premier League players to the top of the non-league pyramid, and 25 points clear of 2nd, before Roy McFarland nearly blew it.

His second stint was not successful in any way. He struggled to maintain the level they were at. It would be unfair to criticise him for them being relegate though, they were punching way above their weight by the time.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

His second stint was not successful in any way. He struggled to maintain the level they were at. It would be unfair to criticise him for them being relegate though, they were punching way above their weight by the time.

Not successful in any way? That's just delusion.

I'd class coming into a side punching above their weight at the top of the league in December, keeping them there and getting them up as successful.

I'd class survival in the Championship, despite being a non-league side less than a decade earlier and having one of the smallest budgets the Championship has ever seen, as pretty bloody successful.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Sorry Mostyn, we are all entitled to our opinion but this is comical chap.

Fact. He kept BA in the Championship playing some sparkling football, utilising players sought from the Scottish leagues or the 2nd and 3rd tier in England, all financed on gates of 3K.

The following year they spent a fair amount of the money earnt on the back of that success in their Stella signing Liam Boyce. He was the leading scorer in the Scottish Premier the previous season. Alas, he suffered a serious knee ligament injury early season forcing him out for the remainder of the campaign. Had he played that season, and speculate say scored only 5/6 goals resulting in min 2 Pts BA would have maintained their Championship status.

As it was they went to the last minute of that season and were unfortunately relegated by 1 pt.

Leave you with this, you state  "they were punching way above their weight by the time" - why did that happen?

It's Groundhog Day?

There's those of us who think highly of him and there's plenty who think the opposite. Absolutely entrenched and no possibility of changing views.

I suppose that's what's football is all about. Everyone thinks they know best.

I wish him all the best.

8 hours ago, BOB BIGGS said:

It's Groundhog Day?

There's those of us who think highly of him and there's plenty who think the opposite. Absolutely entrenched and no possibility of changing views.

I suppose that's what's football is all about. Everyone thinks they know best.

I wish him all the best.

I don’t think you need to be a Clough lover to acknowledge that he did, at the very least, a decent job at Burton in his second spell.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/11/2020 at 17:05, Mostyn6 said:

His first stint was boosted by getting his Forest mates to come and play amateur football as recently retired pros. Yes he did well in getting a team full of ex Premier League players to the top of the non-league pyramid, and 25 points clear of 2nd, before Roy McFarland nearly blew it.

Of course no other non league teams ever used to sign ex Premier League players, so Burton definitely had an unfair advantage. And what an advantage it was! In their promotion season from the conference the only ex Premier League players were Kevin Poole and Lee Morris. It's really a damning indictment of Clough that they didn't win every game by at least 6 goals with talent like that at his disposal.

How on earth do you manage to present securing promotion to the Championship for the first time in the club's history as "struggled to maintain the level they were at"?

Archived