Nigel Clough to the Stags

Carl Sagan

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

Of course no other non league teams ever used to sign ex Premier League players, so Burton definitely had an unfair advantage. And what an advantage it was! In their promotion season from the conference the only ex Premier League players were Kevin Poole and Lee Morris. It's really a damning indictment of Clough that they didn't win every game by at least 6 goals with talent like that at his disposal.

How on earth do you manage to present securing promotion to the Championship for the first time in the club's history as "struggled to maintain the level they were at"?

Yes. JFH did very well winning 13/20 and drawing a few more before NC nearly blew the lead with draws! 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Clough does a certain type of job very well. Some coaches/managers are just better at managing a certain profile of player. In Cough's case it's a L1/L2 player and setup. I reckon it comes down to his personality and philosophy, the trappings of the upper echelons of the game seem to irritate him as much as anything. 

I'm not having a dig here either, he just seems happier in the sort of job he has currently got than he did at Derby trying to manage higher expectations and a more complex dressing room environment.

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Clough does a certain type of job very well. Some coaches/managers are just better at managing a certain profile of player. In Cough's case it's a L1/L2 player and setup. I reckon it comes down to his personality and philosophy, the trappings of the upper echelons of the game seem to irritate him as much as anything. 

I'm not having a dig here either, he just seems happier in the sort of job he has currently got than he did at Derby trying to manage higher expectations and a more complex dressing room environment.

I think that's right. I liked Nigel Clough and there's a certain type of job he's good at. Navigated us though the post jewell disaster zone on small budgets quite well at a time when we could've kept dropping, however, soon as we started looking to move up he wasn't really cutting it. I think there's plenty of championship jobs he'd be decent at, but all on the low budget fighting to stay up end.

I think he values happiness and life balance a lot, which is going to be easier in the lower leagues.

33 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Yes totally agree with your sentiments, undoubtedly kept us from League 1 in his first season gradually and methodically got rid of the dross he inherited and replaced with better players sourced on far more modest transfer fees. 

In my opinion and probably the clubs owners he was always going to be a steady eddy and things plateaud somewhat and I guess the decision was made would he be the person to take us to the next level which is why he no longer is manager, something which I believe he still holds a certain amount of bitterness about. 

Nice interview

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/january/nigel-clough-on-his-return-to-management/

Partial excerpts:

“The first surprise for the players was when I opened the door and actually let the dog into the training ground, so in the first meeting that I had with the players they met the dog. I obviously explained to them that those who liked the dog were more likely to get in the team than those who didn’t!”

It’s hard not to talk to Clough without touching on his father Brian’s memorable days in football. He joked how his dad used to tease him that he’d never beat him at anything, but with more than 1,000 games in management under his belt, he might do him on longevity. 

“It’s the only thing that I can beat him on, let’s be realistic!  He always used to tease me that I would never beat him at anything. I was definitely never going to score as many goals as him, he told me that from day one. With his management record and trophies, I won’t beat that either so if I can hang on in there in management for longer than him, it’s something!”

13 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I always got that impression too. He’s old school through and through. I can imagine having to deal with technical directors, nutritionists, and super agents pisses him off. Would rather be out on the training ground.

Players have limits on how high up the pyramid they can play. The same goes for managers too.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I always got that impression too. He’s old school through and through. I can imagine having to deal with technical directors, nutritionists, and super agents pisses him off. Would rather be out on the training ground.

Players have limits on how high up the pyramid they can play. The same goes for managers too.

Can't say that I blame him either. If I were a manager I'd probably I'd be as likely to give one of those  super agent types a slap as a pay out. Absolute parasites. 

Archived