Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I dont agree with that, he has ploughed millions upon millions into his and our football club.

I do think when he did it he only did it as he thought he would be a premier league manager and there was a certain amount of arrogance about it. Not sure if anyone caught his Soccer AM interview quite early after buying us where he was asked "If Derby get promoted to the Premier League..." and Mel cut him off and said "Not if...When"..I just knew that moment of arrogance would come back to bite him and it did, in a big way.

But, let's no forget he really has kept this club going in very difficult times, he has made huge mistakes, he has been so unlucky with Frank and the Chelsea job, he has tried but ultimately failed.

It honestly does make me very sad to think he purchased us when we were at Wembley on the verge of the Prem, he spent anywhere between 100 to 200 million, we have bought and sold Ince, Will Hughes, Bradley Johnson, Vydra etc etc etc and he now sells us rock bottom of the Championship starring league 1 in the face, you couldnt write it.

Hi MRG, well at least he has the stadium to show for it. 

Things is though lets say that is 25% of his wealth (I have no idea)but I daresay you are similar to me in that losing 25% of my wealth would be a significant problem.  Certainly not something I would look forward to telling my wife!.. No doubt about it he put his money where his mouth was and I am grateful for that but I wish he had made better choices

The longer this drags on it seems the less likely its going to happen.

I am sure Mel (although he's not saying a lot) must have some firm assurances of funds both verbally and physically (through paperwork) to even let this matter get this matter to this stage. 

If this guy (The Sheikh) doesn't turnout to be who he claims to be and cannot fulfil his claim of being able to buy the club,

Mel is going to appear very foolish.

He is a very proud man and a respected businessman. This would not sit happily with him and those people helping him put together this transaction will so know about it. 

Soon or later something has got to give either the Sheikh completes the deal or Mel says we've waited long enough on you're bike.

'Derventio Holdings (UK) Limited, whose ultimate controlling entity is Bin Zayed International LLC, owned by Sheikh Khaled Zayed Bin Saquer Zayed Al Nayhan, may now proceed with the transaction, which is expected to close very soon'

Surely we'll hear something today

32 minutes ago, Spanish said:

not sure what the point of the takeover is if that is the case.  The tangible assets are gone (training ground?) after that it is the squad and we all suspect that's not as valuable as the book price.  there is no fan income due to covid so what do they hope for by buying us.  I can't see anything other than making money when we get to the prem but maybe somebody has a credible alternative?

the issue for me is if they think they can buy promotion a nd then discover they can't (P&S, difficult league) will they lose interest and abandon the project?  I have been very critical of Mel but I always expected that he would find a buyer rather than abandon us

The book value of the current squad (including those out on loan) will be in the £30-40m region.

Lawrence and Jozwiak could be sold for a few million. We could even make a profit on Byrne. I'm sure we'd get a sizeable fee for Bird, Knight, Sibley and Buchanan. At least very least, we could sell the rest for small-ish fees.

Would recent results on the pitch make a difference to the price?

If I were buying a house, and after having an offer accepted, a survey showed extensive rot that needed replacing, I might revise my offer.

Say if the valuation is £60m, and the fella realises that he'll need to spend an unexpected £12m on new players (fixing the property), which works out at 20%, could that be a point of negotiation?

Or, are minor changes to league position just noise?

(But, in real-time, the odds of relegation have increased, and that must affect the valuation? Or not!)

Has anyone ever bought anything worth £60m, and know how it works?

(PS. In my case, the survey identified work being needed on the roof, but the seller declined to accept a lower offer!)

23 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

The longer this drags on it seems the less likely its going to happen.

I am sure Mel (although he's not saying a lot) must have some firm assurances of funds both verbally and physically (through paperwork) to even let this matter get this matter to this stage. 

If this guy (The Sheikh) doesn't turnout to be who he claims to be and cannot fulfil his claim of being able to buy the club,

Mel is going to appear very foolish.

He is a very proud man and a respected businessman. This would not sit happily with him and those people helping him put together this transaction will so know about it. 

Soon or later something has got to give either the Sheikh completes the deal or Mel says we've waited long enough on you're bike.

He hasn't claimed to be anything yet, if it weren't for the newspapers building him up to be a senior royal, then he has always just been a businessman who happens to be from Abu Dhabi and a minor royal.

I'm sure Mel & Stephen Pearce are perfectly capable of ascertaining the man's financial status and plans for the club, without having to read The Athletic.

One thing in the positive column for Sheikh Khaled, he hasnt gone public.

In fact he and his mate havent said a single thing, which is a big change from the Newcastle and Liverpool days.

So, if he is wasting time, all he is doing is wasting his and Mels time, nothing more. I'd be a lot more concerned if he was in the public eye shouting about what he is planning to do, a bit like GSE saying champions league in 4 years.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The book value of the current squad (including those out on loan) will be in the £30-40m region.

Lawrence and Jozwiak could be sold for a few million. We could even make a profit on Byrne. I'm sure we'd get a sizeable fee for Bird, Knight, Sibley and Buchanan. At least very least, we could sell the rest for small-ish fees.

Hi GoC

so £20m then?

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Book value. Look how much Wigan had to accept because they had no choice! Nothing in the case of Marshall.

42 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It was the coop bank that sold the club after the Ramstrust and others put pressure on them when Lionel was going through a very rough time in his life.

I know there was some refinancing went on I didn’t realise it was the COOP that let them take over. It was a real shame that things went down hill but that always seems to be our problem. A bit like boom and bust.

The proof, as always, will be in the pudding.

We will never know the guy's full wealth as these types of things are shrouded in deep secrecy and where his money probably is, Dubai, will most certainly be undisclosed. 

Worst case scenario, the club folds and we're tasked with setting up our own offshoot club: Derby City. Mel takes the reigns again with McClaren in charge and within 10 years we're back losing play-off finals in the Championship. It's destiny.  

11 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I know there was some refinancing went on I didn’t realise it was the COOP that let them take over. It was a real shame that things went down hill but that always seems to be our problem. A bit like boom and bust.

Yeah because there was lots of bad press against the Co-op Bank at the time and their so-called 'ethical' status. Think someone might even have graffiti'd the bank in Derby? Or have I miss remembered...

Archived