Abu Derby County

tinman

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I tried to check that out, but I can't find any evidence that that is the case. In fact, there are lots of examples of new owners having to comply with existing FFP situations. Indeed, I suspect that Championship clubs would just be passed around between ownership groups and families if that were really the case. I'm not 100% certain, but I think this claim is just plain wrong.

I tried looking myself as it was just on here that I'd read it and I think you are right. There is an article about the time he tried to take over Necastle and their local paper were trying to look at how the number owner could spend given their current FFP situation. Shame as I had hoped he could come in and spend a a few million without worrying.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, I'm not even sure that this guy has the capital to come in and throw ridiculous sums of money around. We literally have no idea how rich he is, however, I think it's all-but-confirmed that he's not a major part of the UAE royal family. It's not the end of the world. Mel Morris, for all the good work he has done, has drained his own pocket dry. The loans to keep up cash flow highlight that much, so hopefully this guy is worth to £500m (as printed) and has cash in the bank rather than money tied up in assets. 

As long as he can keep us competitive and afloat, I don't think I'll be entirely bothered when Mbappe doesn't turn up on January 1st. 

51 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I tried looking myself as it was just on here that I'd read it and I think you are right. There is an article about the time he tried to take over Necastle and their local paper were trying to look at how the number owner could spend given their current FFP situation. Shame as I had hoped he could come in and spend a a few million without worrying.

So lets say I won £300m on the Euro Lottery and i 'gifted' DCFC £50m. Are we saying it would be pointless because they couldn't spend it or would it go into the income side of the accounts and be available to spend/be included in the calculations for FFP ?

My point being is an owner not allowed to 'gift' money to their club rather than just add it as a loan to the club ?

2 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

So lets say I won £300m on the Euro Lottery and i 'gifted' DCFC £50m. Are we saying it would be pointless because they couldn't spend it or would it go into the income side of the accounts and be available to spend ?

My point being is an owner not allowed to 'gift' money to their club rather than just add it as a loan to the club ?

Have you won the lottery?

Please can I borrow a few quid?

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

I’m a bit clueless on FFP - If this does happen, we still can’t spunk mega millions on players and wages due to FFP - Mel’s paltry few millions have already pushed us right to the limit, no? 

We were within a few million of the limit in the 3 years to 2019, thankfully the 2020 period seems to have been cancelled, and we look set to be very close to the limit for the 4 years to 2021. 2022 will be a very tough period to meet (expect player sales in the summer if we don't go up or find a very generous sponsor). Ironically, Covid could actually make it harder to meet the 2022 period - instead of 3 years of something like -£36m, +£10m and £0m (net P&S losses of -£26m... £13m within the limit) we'd actually have 4 years of -£30m, -£36m, +£10m and £0m (equating to P&S losses of £61m and being £22m over the limit).

Once we get the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons out of our P&S monitoring period we'll be able to splurge the cash again. Based on the stab in the dark figures mentioned above, a 3 year cycle to 2023 means we could make a net loss of £49m in the 22/23 season.

Do manager wages count towards FFP? It might be that we break the piggy bank that way? 

Wages count so that's not an option

Or we try to get a new “super agent” (human filth) like Jorge Mendes onboard - worked for Wolves. 

Either way, a billionaire owner doesn’t guarantee success. On the other hand if FFP gets postponed for a season or two then we just absolutely buy our way out of this league!

The EFL have made adjustments to P&S rules for Covid and won't be postponing it.

26 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

So lets say I won £300m on the Euro Lottery and i 'gifted' DCFC £50m. Are we saying it would be pointless because they couldn't spend it or would it go into the income side of the accounts and be available to spend/be included in the calculations for FFP ?

An owner cannot inject cash into the club to increase the club's P&S outlook, however, I cannot see why a fan cannot donate as much cash as they want (as long as the source of the cash wasn't the owner or a related party).

Edit: forgot about the bit where an owner can inject a max of £8m.

17 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

An owner can inject as much capital as the like, but only a set amount (from memory £8m per season?) counts towards the FFP calculation.  Mel puts more in, but he effectively funds the academy, which doesn't count towards FFP.

An owner can also sponsor their club, but it has to be for a fair market price - that's where it gets tricky. As things stand a ground sponsorship deal might be worth £5m (guess) per season. But if we signed Ronaldo and Messi we might be able to argue that £100m per season was fair.

I've had a quick look into the Bin Zayed Group, which we know for certain he is the chairman of. It's a very big company, although finding financials from oversea firms is almost impossible, I've managed to find a few newspaper articles that have detailed investments they have made, including this: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/foreign-trade/bin-zayed-group-offers-2-billion-investment-in-telangana/articleshow/61374253.cms 

A couple of articles said the group is worth $118bn. I suspect that is a massive reach, but at least we can infer that he does have some money and this is likely to be seen as an investment from his group. It also goes to show perhaps the Liverpool bid perhaps WAS realistic considering they have offered similar money in investments elsewhere.

Incidentally the managing director of the Bin Zayed Group went to the same university as me, and probably many others on here, Sheffield Hallam. It took me by surprise. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

iPro deal was only worth £7m for 10 years, £5m per season would be nice 

Not sure how accurate it is but I just found this foe the PL. I can't see how we could justify being higher than any of the ones listed, but I'd expect a better deal now than what we got in 2013. £1m per annum should be the minimum for us (as one of the biggest Championship sides), with £2m reaching the ambitious end of the scale (probably what the likes of Palace and Brighton would get in the PL).

SmartSelect_20201102-161446_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1b8e8f8da1977118672fc938f341a3f.jpg

59 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

An owner can inject as much capital as the like, but only a set amount (from memory £8m per season?) counts towards the FFP calculation.  Mel puts more in, but he effectively funds the academy, which doesn't count towards FFP.

An owner can also sponsor their club, but it has to be for a fair market price - that's where it gets tricky. As things stand a ground sponsorship deal might be worth £5m (guess) per season. But if we signed Ronaldo and Messi we might be able to argue that £100m per season was fair.

Brighton received £4.5m across the first 10 years at the new stadium, while we could expect a little more than them (at that time), £5m a year is a bit of a stretch....

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness, I'm not even sure that this guy has the capital to come in and throw ridiculous sums of money around. We literally have no idea how rich he is, however, I think it's all-but-confirmed that he's not a major part of the UAE royal family. It's not the end of the world. Mel Morris, for all the good work he has done, has drained his own pocket dry. The loans to keep up cash flow highlight that much, so hopefully this guy is worth to £500m (as printed) and has cash in the bank rather than money tied up in assets. 

As long as he can keep us competitive and afloat, I don't think I'll be entirely bothered when Mbappe doesn't turn up on January 1st. 

Is HH Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan Buying a British Football Club?

image.thumb.png.7639bfc077e5037d7c973759608d5bab.png

With the news yet to be confirmed, it has been reported that Emirati billionaire, His Highness Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan may be buying British football club. 

In the past, Arab billionaires have been known to invest their money for lucrative returns into international companies and organizations, and football clubs are just one of them

Under his belt, Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan set up the Bin Zayed Group in 1988, of which he is also the chairman. The 61 year old’s conglomerate hones in on four major sectors including trading and industry, energy, real estate, financial and tech services and construction, based in Dubai.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

An owner cannot inject cash into the club to increase the club's P&S outlook, however, I cannot see why a fan cannot donate as much cash as they want (as long as the source of the cash wasn't the owner or a related party).

I guess that fan could buy the super executive box, price £100m per season?

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I guess that fan could buy the super executive box, price £100m per season?

I can't see why not. I have no idea what would happen if that 'fan' bought the super executive box for £100m and then ended up liking the football so much that he decided to buy the club a couple of months later.

26 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm waiting for the inevitable Daily Mail article that says the EFL have blocked the take over, along with the timely reminder that the EFL have appealed a charge against us and we we are facing a 50 point deduction and Mel faces public flogging.

Still can’t understand how the EFL can appeal against the decision of an independent tribunal. What’s the point of the tribunal and it’s verdicts. ????

Archived