Abu Derby County

tinman

Just now, CBRammette said:
1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

If he's as rich as a lot of people think, why would he buy a team 4th bottom in the English 2nd tier. Doesn't add up to me...maybe I'm just sceptical, I mean to be fair the Leicester owners have been 

Expand  

Sorry pressed return too soon - perhaps he is stonking rich, bored and the Abu Derby thing amused him. Or he is as mad as many on here and decided that was a sign

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming to this debate late and having read many of the above comments concerning Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and the other Middle East countries, I can't believe I've seen such ignorance as I've read on these pages.

Practically no one has ever been to the Middle East, and if they have, its only been for a 2 weeks holiday in the sun.

Befeore anyone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about, I have spent twenty-two (22) years in the Middle East on various work assignements, with seven (7) years based in Saudi Arabia; six (6) years in Abu Dhabi, and nine (9) years in Dubai, along with extensive travel to every country in the Middle East (except Iran & Syria), North Africa and South East Asia.

Saudi Arabia is indeed somewhat more oppressive, as seen from a Westerners point of view and indeed they still have executions, but so does the USA, however, from my very extensive knowledge and experience of the UAE, they are one of the most enlightened countries in the region.

My wife and I have welcomed all of our families and many of our friends when we lived in the UAE, including a gay couple who shared a hotel bedroom, and all of them commented on how safe it was when walking around the streets and souks, and the politness of the local Emiraties.

At the same time, I have witnessed some of the most appalling behaviour from Brits who come for the holiday and think they can do what they want, get drunk, dress inappropriately, abuse the local people and taxi drivers, with one couple being caught having sex on an open beach, and when they get arrested, ask, "what have I done wrong"?

The Middle East is not the UK and they have their own rules and when you're in another country you abide by them, not abuse their hospitality.

If the Abu Dhabi royal family want to buy Derby County, I'm all for it, and we might see some more decorum on how people respect other people, from other parts of the world.

So what they have a lot of money, but we all rejoiced when Mel Morris took over, and thought he would bankroll the club to the Premier League, but that money has run out. So if you want to get to the "promised land" we have to look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, ImARam2 said:

Coming to this debate late and having read many of the above comments concerning Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and the other Middle East countries, I can't believe I've seen such ignorance as I've read on these pages.

Practically no one has ever been to the Middle East, and if they have, its only been for a 2 weeks holiday in the sun.

Befeore anyone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about, I have spent twenty-two (22) years in the Middle East on various work assignements, with seven (7) years based in Saudi Arabia; six (6) years in Abu Dhabi, and nine (9) years in Dubai, along with extensive travel to every country in the Middle East (except Iran & Syria), North Africa and South East Asia.

Saudi Arabia is indeed somewhat more oppressive, as seen from a Westerners point of view and indeed they still have executions, but so does the USA, however, from my very extensive knowledge and experience of the UAE, they are one of the most enlightened countries in the region.

My wife and I have welcomed all of our families and many of our friends when we lived in the UAE, including a gay couple who shared a hotel bedroom, and all of them commented on how safe it was when walking around the streets and souks, and the politness of the local Emiraties.

At the same time, I have witnessed some of the most appalling behaviour from Brits who come for the holiday and think they can do what they want, get drunk, dress inappropriately, abuse the local people and taxi drivers, with one couple being caught having sex on an open beach, and when they get arrested, ask, "what have I done wrong"?

The Middle East is not the UK and they have their own rules and when you're in another country you abide by them, not abuse their hospitality.

If the Abu Dhabi royal family want to buy Derby County, I'm all for it, and we might see some more decorum on how people respect other people, from other parts of the world.

So what they have a lot of money, but we all rejoiced when Mel Morris took over, and thought he would bankroll the club to the Premier League, but that money has run out. So if you want to get to the "promised land" we have to look elsewhere.

but he is a dictator who imprisons and tortures democracy campaigners whose only crime was to sign a petition

1 hour ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Derby would be a good investment for lots of reasons (as would other clubs too). It does make sense. 

You are only saying that because you are a Derby fan. 
burnley, QPR, palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc etc etc all miles better investment Than Derby 

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

burnley, QPR, palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc etc etc all miles better investment Than Derby 

No I am not. Firstly, three of those teams are Premier League already and would cost a significantly higher sum than Derby. Derby is for sale firstly, has a large stadium, good fanbase (guaranteed 25,000 plus in normal times) and top quality training facilities. Additionally, Derby has a higher profile than many clubs outside the top division, especially recently (Lampard, Rooney etc) and has been mainly involved at the higher end of the league and in the playoffs. So if you are looking for a cheaper second tier club that meets those criteria for example, there would be fewer.

All I'll say is exciting times ahead if this goes through.

Anyone saying they don't want it need head screwed on and to see what football has become as it's sadly all about money, you either have it for you don't. Look at the effect of some of the foreign investment some clubs have received, Man City is obvious with them being a a yo-yo team at best for years but also look at Wolves (Chinese) and Leicester (Taiwanese) I consider all 3 of these clubs to be at the same level as Derby before they got took over and skyrocketed to European place challengers / Prem champions, whilst we linger as the nearly team in the Championship at best or at worse... well let's see how this season plays out...

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Why ?

Three of those clubs are already in the premier league and would cost more with less infrastructure, support- Southampton have a reasonable support if their doing well, but not as high- and return potential.  If they get relegated it's an issue with the wage bill and purchase cost, your losing money straight away.

The other two are clubs with a far smaller support , one of whom is traditionally a club that plays Rochdale on a yearly basis.

Is there any evidence of Sheikh Khaled actually being involved in these human rights atrocities?

Maybe I'm missing something, but all I can find out about him is that he is a businessman and entrepreneur and very well-educated.

You only have to look at our very own royal family and within our own government to see that you can't tar one and all with the same brush and there can be good and bad within any structure.

Look at the reputation of Prince Andrew compared to other members of our royal family, as an example.

Families are very complex and each person within a family can have totally different belief systems, interests and behaviours, so maybe we should give the bloke a chance?

Derby Group

Derby Debt Collection

Derby Textile Factory

Derby Contracting Co

Derby Interiors FZ LLC

Derby Contracting LLC

Derby Design

Derby Records Management DIP 2

These are all companies within a thirty mile block of the UAE ??

I believe there may also be a big link between the UAE and Rolls Royce which may be an attraction.

28 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Is there any evidence of Sheikh Khaled actually being involved in these human rights atrocities?

Maybe I'm missing something, but all I can find out about him is that he is a businessman and entrepreneur and very well-educated.

You only have to look at our very own royal family and within our own government to see that you can't tar one and all with the same brush and there can be good and bad within any structure.

Look at the reputation of Prince Andrew compared to other members of our royal family, as an example.

Families are very complex and each person within a family can have totally different belief systems, interests and behaviours, so maybe we should give the bloke a chance?

Ah right, so you want a video of him beating a pro-democracy protestor before you make a judgement?

Hate to disappoint you but that isn't likely. What is undisputed is the hold that family has on the UAE & as a beneficiary of the oil money, Sheikh Khalid is a component of that poisonous structure.

Give the bloke a chance? Bit ironic given your campaign for a managerial change since last November. 

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You mean you want us to be ran by a group of beered up real ale lovers from a pub by the river gardens. A 50 million war chest from a new investor might be better.  I'll sleep on it.

You've missed the point by attempting to be funny... 

Brentford, Exeter, Wycombe.. All clubs part/fully or previously fan owned. They've had sustained growth over recent years not relying on a rich owner(possibly with the exception of Brentford now) 

We've seen first hand the mess that happened by throwing money at it. If it does get sold off to another rich owner, great and all that, but it'll just distance more fans from the club. How many older Man City fans feel disconnected to the club they grew up loving now? 

And didn't Newcastle fall through as he had no proof of income or something? 

9 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

You've missed the point by attempting to be funny... 

Brentford, Exeter, Wycombe.. All clubs part/fully or previously fan owned. They've had sustained growth over recent years not relying on a rich owner(possibly with the exception of Brentford now) 

We've seen first hand the mess that happened by throwing money at it. If it does get sold off to another rich owner, great and all that, but it'll just distance more fans from the club. How many older Man City fans feel disconnected to the club they grew up loving now? 

And didn't Newcastle fall through as he had no proof of income or something? 

Attempting.  Fair enough. A bit of humour not your thing.?

All those clubs are traditionally third and fourth division clubs who may be happy to have sustained growth over a number of years. What sustained growth . I imagine Wycombe's will come to an abrupt end this season and their in this league because of point averaging last season.  Brentford won't be as good I fancy, and are exceeding there expectation. Exeter have been up and down the bottom two leagues for years.  Essentially the club has been fan owned with Morris. Your not selling this too me.

Were a top flight team who've been in the sailing in the doldrums to long. We can't afford new rigging, half the squad has woodworm and Mels ran out of rum ration . If this a route out and a way of probably  avoiding a future administration worth a shot.  Not a fan of overseas ownership or really even out of town as a rule but needs must. 

Archived