Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Having quickly scan read it it seems very 'Western-based' and UAE aren't? What gives us the right?

Derby is a club based in England. If you're buying an English club, you should adhere to Western standards of human rights.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

From what I can tell from googling, plenty of LGBTQ+ (some letters etc may be missing!) folk are happy to travel to Dubai. What does that tell us?

Are you serious? I think you know as well as anyone that those in the LGBT community are not able to be open about their sexuality there

Some of your best ever posts were on the Rams LGBT thread where I seem to recall you running rings round GStarRam - now you're abandoning those principles just because you smell a promotion?!

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Are you serious? I think you know as well as anyone that those in the LGBT community are not able to be open about their sexuality there

Some of your best ever posts were on the Rams LGBT thread where I seem to recall you running rings round GStarRam - now you're abandoning those principles just because you smell a promotion?!

Not at all. I think it's fascinating that LGBTQ+ people are willing to travel to 'such' countries. I can't see why, although the umbrella term LGBTQ+ covers a multitude of ideas and ways of living. People are travelling there whether they can be open or not, why?

This is a curious development.

Personally, I'm in the wait and see camp. If it happens, I don't know enough about Sheikh Khaled and his motives to say whether it is a step in the right direction or otherwise.

I've rushed to judgement too many times before to be either excited or terrified about this. It's an interesting and fun time imagining the possibilities, but it remains to be seen if it's a good step or not.

I don't see the sense in positioning ourselves against this based on perceptions of society and values of the UAE. Not every person in the UAE will be morally bankrupt or inhumane, in the same way not every person in Russia is racist and homophobic.

You have to judge each person on their individual merits, so if this deal goes through, I will let Sheikh Khaled and his actions while owner inform my perception of him.

Is he the saviour? Could be. Is he a most 'orrible swine? Might be. Let's find out and hope for the best.

I'm torn over this news...

I'd always prefer a 'Derby man' owning the club where possible, even it that means we're stuck in The Championship forever. 

Regardless of any human rights issues, what would any new owners want from Derby? Long-term success, a flourishing academy, a growing affinity for the club and area?  Or just profit and potential ego boost from winning stuff. 

If we start winning, its gonna be hard not to buy into it whatever their reasons.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Do they execute homosexuals in New York? It's not as simple as you are portraying it to be. 

I can’t find any death sentences for homosexuals in the UAE.

There’s been a number of jail sentences most between 1 to 5 years (which is abhorrent) but no death sentences.

As I understand it at the federal level the UAE doesn’t have a law against homosexuality other then a vague indecency rule. it’s a couple of the individual Emirates that do have laws against it.

and with that you’ve made me comment on the bloody politics side again when I said I wouldn’t ?

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I personally would rather them shove their money than have an owner that abuses human

If this happens it's quite simple really. If you don't like it don't go to matches. Don't watch or support Derby. You have the right to choose.Derby County aren't going to drag you kicking and screaming down to Pride Park. Mel is the current owner and as such the ultimate decision is his. 

1 minute ago, Dappled Ram said:

If this happens it's quite simple really. If you don't like it don't go to matches. Don't watch or support Derby. You have the right to choose.Derby County aren't going to drag you kicking and screaming down to Pride Park. Mel is the current owner and as such the ultimate decision is his. 

Pretty scummy way to look at it IMO.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not at all. I think it's fascinating that LGBTQ+ people are willing to travel to 'such' countries. I can't see why, although the umbrella term LGBTQ+ covers a multitude of ideas and ways of living. People are travelling there whether they can be open or not, why?

There's a world of difference between staying a week in a plush Dubai hotel & experiencing the crushing brutality of normal life in those countries. Happy to be corrected but I'm also certain openly gay couples can not book double rooms in hotels in any Gulf State.

Like Blatter memorably said about LGBT fans travelling to Qatar for the World Cup in 2022, they're fine so long as they don't do anything?!

http://www.espn.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5919439/gay-rights-group-wants-apology-fifa-sepp-blatter-comments

We all support Derby, we all want the very best for our team and we all want to be playing prem football and most of us dream of what it would be like playing in the champions league and winning cups.

THE ONLY WAY WE WILL EVER ACHIEVE THIS, Is by having an owner who has a poo ton of money. We will never be "up there" with someone who is worth 4-500 mill. 

Lampard has spent half that already this season.

To do well in the prem you need cash, sure you may have a few good seasons with a never say die attitude but eventually it won't be enough.

I don't think there's a single man city fan who would go back to the "local owner" era.

Just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

If he's as rich as a lot of people think, why would he buy a team 4th bottom in the English 2nd tier. Doesn't add up to me...maybe I'm just sceptical, I mean to be fair the Leicester owners have been awesome

I suppose if he can get us for a song the opportunities there too make a lot of money . You could make in excess of 250 million from a 100 million investment including the purchase price then bin us off after a couple of years if we get relegated straight away.  If we don't go up, a slight improvement means he could get the purchase price back in year. Were not a bad size club either - plenty of potential and more chance of staying up and building than most. 

Need to get 15 wins this season first mind.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Pretty scummy way to look at it IMO.

But unfortunately it's the way football is. If you read my previous posts you would have a clearer idea of what I think but I know you won't want to do that. I reiterate yet again football is a big business. Money reigns supreme and qualities like loyalty, honesty have been lost to a certain extent along the way. Can we turn the clock back? No. So  we either put up with it or support  something else. I've been disillusioned about the way football has gone for many years but I can't change it. I have learnt to pick and choose my battles.

Archived