Why are Derby getting all the toughest fixtures at once

Curtains

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

I cant believe we are actually fearing any teams in this division or seeing any of them as hard games .

There is not any team in this division we should be fearing at all even away from home .

For me it spells out totally just how far we have fell from the tree when we start fearing little clubs like bournemouth even if they have been in the prem for 2 or 3 seasons .Prem or not there a poxy little club with hardly any fan base and their glimmer or good luck that they have had we know is only going to be fleeting before there back down again with mansfield . 

For gods sake WE ARE Derby one of the best supported clubs in the country . How we have taken so long to get out of this division with the stadium we have the fans we have the chairman we have the training ground we have GOD ONLY KNOWS . There is some chronic mismanagement at this club if you ask me ..............footy in this division isnt that hard esp with a few quality players in your side . The problem is the money has totally been mismanaged on buying the WRONG players .

Your post is totally riddled with contradictions and hackneyed lazy urban myths.

I don’t think there are any easy games in this division. 
ffp has been a great leveller.

look at Wigan last year. Bottom and then went on a run beating everyone.

its all pretty even which is why it’s all about fine margins. 
I’m confident that if we played our best sprogs We’d do ok.
And if we dropped a few points, fans would tolerate it.

we are such a tolerant lot, aren’t we.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’m totally confident that we are playing our best sprogs  thanks to Cocu. 

There are easier games for sure 

Whoever we played at the start of the season we were going to struggle. The embargo, having to sell to buy, the injury situation with the short turnaround. They are not excuses they are facts. However, what you hope in those games is that you can be hard to beat and nick a few points until players get fit and firing, team can be settled and we become a more cohesive threatening unit. However, we were easy to beat, we didn’t pick up any points and therefore the pressure is immediately on going into a tough run of games.

We had to go back to basics and shut teams out which we’ve done. We’re not conceding many chances which gives you a chance in games. We didn’t create much against Watford but better chance(s) then they did, they scored a worldy and we were unfortunate to lose. Huddersfield again we were unfortunate, slightly fortunate against Norwich although we deserved something. All teams in reasonable form.

The past two games have seen a marked improvement in that as well as being solid we look much more threatening going forward, we are creating more chances and many more “situations” (to quote Nigel) which could result in goals, subject to the final ball, right decision etc, with a settled front 3 with our good players fit those situations will turn into chances and into goals. 

If they keep doing the right things which I think they are now the results should turn. I want Cocu to succeed, I think he can build long term sustainable success given enough time. We’ve seen glimpses of the football he really wants to play in the period after Christmas until lockdown and we scored lots of goals (averaged 2 per game for a while) and it looked promising.

Lets not forget his remit is to build a competitive team made up of 50% academy players. That is a tough ask. He doesn’t have a vast array of resources to throw at this. We’ve had to sell our ground to meet FFP, been under transfer embargo, haemorrhaging money left right and centre and this was before a global pandemic has wiped out a chunk of our income. In terms of difficulty, the job is about as difficult as it was for Nigel and we gave him over 4 seasons, the result (under the final guidance of McClaren) was the best team we’ve had for some time, but we were in a desperate state before then and had Mac come in any earlier he would not have had the same success. It took 4 years to build that team. It would be interesting to see what Cocu did with Clement’s budget or even Snake’s and Lampard’s.

I think Cocu is the right man for now and for the long term and given enough time, maybe even his full 4 year contract I think we can be a promotion force in this league, maybe even promoted. We’ve waited 13 years, I can wait another 2 or 3. Another roll of the managerial dice and get it wrong we could condemn ourselves to another 10 years in this league or worst. Either way promotion will not happen this season, so as long as we’re not under threat of relegation we continue to build, the youngsters get more experience and become better players and either grow with the team or we sell them to reinvest in other good players like Jozwiak.

However, I agree with pretty much everyone on here in that he MUST start winning games. If say @Marriott Ram99 is right and we only take 5 points in that run of games into December, we will be in seriously dire straits and it could be irretrievable and whichever way you look at it League 1 would be a disaster. Bournemouth is a bonus, QPR and Barnsley are looking like massive games. If we don’t win any of the next 3, we may be forced to change and I don’t think Cocu could have any complaints.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

FFP isn't really a leveller when half the teams in the division are on parachute payments. Its a moderately competitive league, but that isnt because of ffp

9 hours ago, DublinRam said:

To be fair the only team that played against us that looked good/impressive  was Blackburn and potentially Norwich  , it’s more down to how poor we are at the moment rather than the opposition IMO , we had barrow and still couldn’t beat them sure

What about Reading? They looked razor-sharp and top 3. You can’t judge a book by its cover. 

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

They do.

But to be honest, looking at the fixtures can be misleading.

Before a ball had been kicked, I thought we had a good chance of getting off to a good start with Reading and Blackburn at home and Luton away. We ended up losing all three games.

I think the scary thing for us is that we can’t take anything as a given at the moment.

Yes it's a bit lame to blame the fixture list. Have to play what ever cards you are dealt. Same for every club really. 

12 hours ago, Curtains said:

Fixtures look kinder after Bournemouth 

Reading got the best fixtures list so far, perhaps thats why they are top at the moment. I'm going to stick my neck out and state, come the end of the season we will be within 3 points of the biscuitmen and they won't be in the top 6

On 29/10/2020 at 10:12, ThePrisoner said:

It's true it's a horrible run, we all said this when the fixtures came out. There's always a horrible run but we've had all the relegated PL teams together!

We all said it, but many have forgot it. 

The more vocal fans that have decided Cocu should no longer be manager won't accept genuine reasons such as transfer embargo, player injuries and fitness issues, shocking refereeing decisions or tough run of fixtures, they are quickly shot down as excuses now.  

We play every team twice don't you know? I'm glad that was pointed out several times in this thread as I wasn't aware. 

The internet is littered with articles covering tough runs of fixtures.....

Ranking the toughest run-ins in the Premier League after fixture announcement
https://www.givemesport.com/1593485-ranking-the-toughest-runins-in-the-premier-league-after-fixture-announcement

Who faces the hardest run-ins as Premier League returns this week: Tough for Aston Villa, while Tottenham have it easier than top four rivals
https://talksport.com/football/713457/how-hard-premier-league-club-run-intottenham-arsenal-aston-villa/

What Chelsea should hope for in difficult run of fixtures
https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/what-chelsea-should-hope-for-in-difficult-run-of-fixtures/

Not Derby though, thats just excuses.

If I was Cocu I would walk away, not because he's not up to the job, he deserves better than this. Not saying he hasn't made mistakes and beyond criticism, but we as a fanbase lack any level of circumstantial awareness, patience and tolerance.

Personally hope he stays though, blanks it all out and continues the work he's doing, the fixtures certainly look kinder this month for us, hopefully we can start putting more points on the board with Bielik and Jozwiak back, you would expect Ibe will be available at some point as well, although I fully expect that even if we win the next 4, then draw to Wycombe the Sack Cocu topics will be bumped seconds after the final whistle. 

16 minutes ago, David said:

We all said it, but many have forgot it. 

The more vocal fans that have decided Cocu should no longer be manager won't accept genuine reasons such as transfer embargo, player injuries and fitness issues, shocking refereeing decisions or tough run of fixtures, they are quickly shot down as excuses now.  

We play every team twice don't you know? I'm glad that was pointed out several times in this thread as I wasn't aware. 

The internet is littered with articles covering tough runs of fixtures.....

Ranking the toughest run-ins in the Premier League after fixture announcement
https://www.givemesport.com/1593485-ranking-the-toughest-runins-in-the-premier-league-after-fixture-announcement

Who faces the hardest run-ins as Premier League returns this week: Tough for Aston Villa, while Tottenham have it easier than top four rivals
https://talksport.com/football/713457/how-hard-premier-league-club-run-intottenham-arsenal-aston-villa/

What Chelsea should hope for in difficult run of fixtures
https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/what-chelsea-should-hope-for-in-difficult-run-of-fixtures/

Not Derby though, thats just excuses.

If I was Cocu I would walk away, not because he's not up to the job, he deserves better than this. Not saying he hasn't made mistakes and beyond criticism, but we as a fanbase lack any level of circumstantial awareness, patience and tolerance.

Personally hope he stays though, blanks it all out and continues the work he's doing, the fixtures certainly look kinder this month for us, hopefully we can start putting more points on the board with Bielik and Jozwiak back, you would expect Ibe will be available at some point as well, although I fully expect that even if we win the next 4, then draw to Wycombe the Sack Cocu topics will be bumped seconds after the final whistle. 

And if we lose the next two?

8 minutes ago, David said:

Really depends on the takeover and where thats at.

I would be very surprised if Cocu was shown the door before the conclusion of that.  

I really can't see anything happening,no matter what the results are,until the takeover either happens or doesn't.

I'd be surprised though if any teams fan base wouldn't be debating the managers future whilst they sit in the relegation zone after 10 or do matches on the back of an extended poor run of games,whatever the circumstances surrounding them.

I do think that the gaffers position is in a precarious place at the moment if a takeover is going ahead as I'm sure a new owner would be looking for a bright start to their tenure and attracting positive attention to their new acquisition.

Now if we were flying at the minute,the impressions would be a lot more favourable but sadly we are not.

Archived