More questions than answers.

Rev

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I still want us to try and build towards a 4-3-3. With everyone fit, I’d lineup something like:

Marshall

Byrne Te Weirik Clarke Buchanan

Bielik

Knight Sibley

Ibe Waghorn Lawrence 

With Jozwiak, Ibe and Lawrence rotating for the two wide positions.

I like that and your idea of rotation is spot on. I remember under Steve Mc when on 70 mins like clockwork he would sub the wide attackers so fresh legs were could really cause some damage in the last quarter of the game. I am not convinced Cocu has got it in him though, much more cautious.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, enachops said:

I’ll give you credit - you’re points are excellent for a 2 year old! Davies the best in your lifetime?? Were you not born for Tomori and Sir Richard Keogh!

I’m not convinced by MTW at all, but agree he needs time to adapt to English football. 

I mean in terms of defensive attributes. Tomori and Keogh were both excellent ball playing CBs.

For me - based solely on this season the first names on the team sheet for me: 

Marshall, Byrne, Davies, Clarke, Knight, Shinnie, Joswiak & Lawrence. 

Players I want to see in the team:

Bielik & Buchanan. 

How I’d line them up who knows - I’m not paid to make it work. 

If I were the manager, I wouldn't see the situation as "questions". I'd call them options and be happy about it.

Someone decent will be sitting on the bench and that's a good thing. We have two games per week so the squad will be needed. Also, I'd point out that even though we have plethora of centrebacks, only Davies and Clarke have managed to nail their position. Wisdom, Te Wierik and Evans have all been tried as right-sided CB but none of them has been more than decent. And as that ain't good enough, I think Bielik will have his chance as one next.

If Bielik works out well in that position, CKR and Ibe gets fit, then we have seriously good team going forwards as well. 

Cocu is still a died in the wool 4-3-3 man, so I think he'll revert back to it once everyone's available.  Therefore I'd go with -

-------------------------Marshall

Byrne-------Wisdom--------------Clarke----------Bucannan

-------------------------Bielik

-------------Knight---------------Rooney

Joswiak------------------------------------------Lawrence

------------------------Waghorn

Those in bold I struggled with.

I went with Wisdom as when he's on song he's quality, and I think with a run of games we'll see more performances like we had against Reading at the end of last season.  Bielik over Bird to sit as he's got a better range of passing.  Rooney over Shinnie or Sibley simply because we'll need someone who can dictate play.  Sibley & Knight will develop into that kinda player, but not right now.  Joswiak & Lawrence will need to be on their toes in every game as I could have easily picked a fully fit Ibe over either of them.

For all his physical presence, I never see Wisdom win or even challenge for the ball in air, from the many crosses that we are allowing to come into the box. So the only position I see for him when we have a fully fit squad is challenging Byrne for the right back spot, as he is not a natural centre back.

It is a fine line between a gain of attacking creativity (4-3-3) and a loss of some defensive stability (3-4-3). For that reason I would compromise with 4-2-3-1. Currently I think the best fit for this is

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Bielik Knight

Jozwiak Sibley Lawrence

Waghorn

I've really grown to like the formation. Have always wanted to ideally watch us play 4-3-3, but I really like how this formation suits so many of our players, especially those like Byrne, Buchanan and Lawrence.

Here's how I'd line-up with everyone fit (3-4-3):

- - - - - - - - - - Marshall - - - - - - - - - - 

- - - - Te Wierik - - Bielik - - Clarke - - - -

Byrne - - Shinnie - Rooney (c) - Buchanan

- - Lawrence - - - Waghorn - - - - Jozwiak 

Subs: Roos, Wisdom, Davies, Knight, Bird, Sibley, Ibe, CKR.

Can't believe I have had to stick Knighty on the bench, but as Captain, Rooney is going to have to play, isn't he?

I think the best position for Wayne is somewhere that people can do the running for him. Shinnie next to Rooney works, in my head. He can work on winning the ball, giving it to Wayne to play.

Having Bielik in the back three (a position he was absolutely sensational in for Charlton) helps Wayne, too. Bielik can step out and help win possession, as well as help us carry the ball out the back.

I suspect Ibe will be something of an impact player for us. 

It's a tough call but I'd go with

Marshall

Byrne       Wisdom       Clarke     Buchanan

Bielik      Rooney 

Ibe             Lawrence        Jozwiak

Waghorn

I'd be amazed if that side is sitting in the bottom half of the table

19 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Immense so far Shinnie, which is a markedly different quote.

Don't let facts stop you being a miserable bar steward though.

I have to agree shinnie has been like a new signing.his work rate, that bit of bite and the bit that has suprised me the most is he reads the game very very well.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

A hell of a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in Bielik ??‍♂️ 

he’s been a poor man’s Bradley Johnson from what I’ve seen. 

Get a grip we have barely seen him and what we have was in a poor team doing poorly.the kid was not at arsenal for no reason.you get the players around him hes gonna boss the midfield.

Bielik has a lot to do to convince me he is anything near worth the price we paid for him. Shinnie on the other hand is the sort of player we need to go searching for, as we are not wanting to spend any money. We need to revamp our scouting/recruitment department as they have not been up to the job for many years.

4 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I've really grown to like the formation. Have always wanted to ideally watch us play 4-3-3, but I really like how this formation suits so many of our players, especially those like Byrne, Buchanan and Lawrence.

Here's how I'd line-up with everyone fit (3-4-3):

- - - - - - - - - - Marshall - - - - - - - - - - 

- - - - Te Wierik - - Bielik - - Clarke - - - -

Byrne - - Shinnie - Rooney (c) - Buchanan

- - Lawrence - - - Waghorn - - - - Jozwiak 

Subs: Roos, Wisdom, Davies, Knight, Bird, Sibley, Ibe, CKR.

Can't believe I have had to stick Knighty on the bench, but as Captain, Rooney is going to have to play, isn't he?

I think the best position for Wayne is somewhere that people can do the running for him. Shinnie next to Rooney works, in my head. He can work on winning the ball, giving it to Wayne to play.

Having Bielik in the back three (a position he was absolutely sensational in for Charlton) helps Wayne, too. Bielik can step out and help win possession, as well as help us carry the ball out the back.

I suspect Ibe will be something of an impact player for us. 

Bielik played in midfield for most of his Charlton days didnt he?

31 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

Get a grip we have barely seen him and what we have was in a poor team doing poorly.the kid was not at arsenal for no reason.you get the players around him hes gonna boss the midfield.

what we HAVE seen is more towards him being less than average as opposed to being a great player.. 

being associated with Arsenal is no guarantee. I can probably list 25 players that have connections with Arsenal that most would want nowhere near Derby County if I had the motivation.

Also, a "poor team doing poorly"?? Really, so you expect him to do better in a poorer team doing more poorly? lol

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

what we HAVE seen is more towards him being less than average as opposed to being a great player.. 

being associated with Arsenal is no guarantee. I can probably list 25 players that have connections with Arsenal that most would want nowhere near Derby County if I had the motivation.

Also, a "poor team doing poorly"?? Really, so you expect him to do better in a poorer team doing more poorly? lol

Thats odd everytime ive seen any stats related to Bielik he has always been at the top or near the top for every stat

Archived