Next Gen Consoles

r4derby

PS5 and Xbox Series X arrive in a couple of weeks. When are you going to get one? Have you already picked a side? Which one has impressed you more?

I tend to wait to see what initial feedback is before choosing and buying my next console. Currently have an Xbox One but unsure whether to stay Microsoft. Feel like I missed out on lots of quality games. However, Microsoft have certainly impressed me with their release videos for the Series X, while Sony seem to not be so good at the hype.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are already a few of us on here that have pre-ordered a PS5 (see the gaming thread).  Personally, since the PS1 I've always upgraded at launch as I get most Xbox games on my PC anyway.

Don't recall anyone talking much about the Xbox tbh.

PS5 but not until next year and if any games come out that catch my eye. Don’t see much point in buying a first gen, limited games making the most of the new specs and a year later a slimmer version will be out £100 cheaper 

Switch all the way. Can’t take PS5 with you. And most importantly, no Zelda on a PlayStation. Age of calamity pre ordered, and Mario 3d all stars hidden in the wardrobe ready to give the kids. If you don’t own a Nintendo, you really are missing some of the best games ever made. 

11 hours ago, maxjam said:

There are already a few of us on here that have pre-ordered a PS5 (see the gaming thread).  Personally, since the PS1 I've always upgraded at launch as I get most Xbox games on my PC anyway.

Don't recall anyone talking much about the Xbox tbh.

Usually always got the playstation, concerns me that Microsoft bought Bethesda though, it would be a factor for me if they stopped Bethesda games from going on to the PS5. 

With both next gen consoles being backwards compatible, I’m torn about what to do. Having just got a 4K TV, theres part of me that will wait a month and pick up an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro for cheap (people will sell before and after Christmas) or do I just hold out and buy one of the newer consoles at a later date...?

leaning towards picking up a PS4 cheap now to play the games I missed and then getting the Series X next year sometime 

16 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Switch all the way. Can’t take PS5 with you. And most importantly, no Zelda on a PlayStation. Age of calamity pre ordered, and Mario 3d all stars hidden in the wardrobe ready to give the kids. If you don’t own a Nintendo, you really are missing some of the best games ever made. 

I hadn't done any gaming for years but bought a Wii U off Ebay this time last year because Miss Wolfie was getting interested in games but I didn't want to go straight for a Switch if was going to just be a fad for her. We have both loved it & our daily MarioKart8 grand prix or Mario 3D session before she goes to bed. She also loves Minecraft.

I've heard there might be an upgrade to the Switch next year, so I'm pretty sure I'll get one of those for us.

I've got a PS5 on pre-order, not really bothered if there aren't any major new titles for a while as I've still got a few current gen games to go through, and they'll receive some small upgrades on PS5 anyway. I'd much rather play the newer multi-platform games on a newer system too even if they aren't fully making use of it.

The 'PS Plus Collection' includes current gen games 'Days Gone', 'God of War', 'The Last Guardian', 'Monster Hunter: World' & 'Resident Evil 7: Biohazard' all of which I haven't played yet (there are other games - 20 in total -  included which I either have already played or have no interest in - see https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps-plus-collection-games-on-ps5 ), which mitigated the cost of the console slightly. The new controller features & 3D audio implementation sound cool too.

Games Pass & backwards compatibility (with even original XBox games), are pretty much the only things I can really think of which I'm missing out on not getting an Xbox at present. Bethesda games are ages away anyway. Games Pass is a great in a  way but also awful in the way all digital purchases are, you don't own anything. The occasional free PS Plus game sits OK with me but I would never want to go full digital.

Nintendo...  2-3 great single player/story games a year (and poo versions of multi-platform games)  just doesn't warrant buying an entire console for me, and it's always been the same.

The key selling point of the Switch seems to that its portable, but honestly I can't see the appeal of playing big games on tiny screens so it seems completely pointless. I'm not really interested in their 'party games' as I don't have anyone I'd actually play them with. The only Nintendo console I ever owned was the GameCube, it does suck that I've missed out on pretty much every Nintendo exclusive since the year dot, but I can live with it.

46 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I've got a PS5 on pre-order, not really bothered if there aren't any major new titles for a while as I've still got a few current gen games to go through, and they'll receive some small upgrades on PS5 anyway. I'd much rather play the newer multi-platform games on a newer system too even if they aren't fully making use of it.

The 'PS Plus Collection' includes current gen games 'Days Gone', 'God of War', 'The Last Guardian', 'Monster Hunter: World' & 'Resident Evil 7: Biohazard' all of which I haven't played yet (there are other games - 20 in total -  included which I either have already played or have no interest in - see https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/all-ps-plus-collection-games-on-ps5 ), which mitigated the cost of the console slightly. The new controller features & 3D audio implementation sound cool too.

Games Pass & backwards compatibility (with even original XBox games), are pretty much the only things I can really think of which I'm missing out on not getting an Xbox at present. Bethesda games are ages away anyway. Games Pass is a great in a  way but also awful in the way all digital purchases are, you don't own anything. The occasional free PS Plus game sits OK with me but I would never want to go full digital.

Nintendo...  2-3 great single player/story games a year (and poo versions of multi-platform games)  just doesn't warrant buying an entire console for me, and it's always been the same.

The key selling point of the Switch seems to that its portable, but honestly I can't see the appeal of playing big games on tiny screens so it seems completely pointless. I'm not really interested in their 'party games' as I don't have anyone I'd actually play them with. The only Nintendo console I ever owned was the GameCube, it does suck that I've missed out on pretty much every Nintendo exclusive since the year dot, but I can live with it.

Zelda is worth the cost of a switch by itself. Just saying. 

On downloading vs owning physical games, I’ve been having this argument with myself recently. 

I chose to buy the physical game card for Zelda and a couple of other games during lock down, and a couple of games for the kids for Christmas because:

a) I’m old school, and it feels good to have an actual thing. 

b) it means I can actually give them something for Christmas, rather than it just appear on the console the day I buy it.

c) you can lend it to people. 

d) I bought a case with space for game cards, and it looks weird to have them empty.

(some of those reasons are stronger than others).

But, I realised that my ‘old-school’ sensibilities are perhaps a bit out dated. Cos it’s a pain having to switch the game cards over each time we want to play, compared to just selecting the game we want to play, already downloaded on the system. Also, there’s a big risk of loosing the game card, especially with the kids constantly swapping them out, the. You’re stuffed. 

So should I be ditching my old school ways and just downloading more games?

Always bought PlayStation's since the PS1 and never thought of ever going elsewhere until this time around.

Seriously considering a x box series s for several reasons.

The series s will be £100 cheaper than the digital only ps5.

I generally only buy a couple of games a year,if that and it's usually call of duty and battlefield so having a disc drive isn't really necessary,I'll just purchase them online and still save money.

Cross play now means that even if I go Xbox from playstation,I can still play with my mates and be in a lobby with them without having the same console.

The xbox pass includes your gaming pass for two years and more free games than the playstation.

I don't need to have 1440k capability as my console is situated in the spare room and I only use a smaller TV to play there.

I'll see how the first reviews go though before I finally decide.

23 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm holding off for now, I'll probably end up going Xbox though as Games Pass is by an absolute mile the best deal in gaming as it stands.

Disagree. PS Plus collection is now coming into play, and I think if you stacked up the libraries right now, PS has better games in there - albeit Xbox has the guarantee of brand new ones at launch and more volume.

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Ps5 preordered, normally end up with both consoles as my lad gets the most use out of them, saying that we have ended up with four PS4’s around the house so I would say we are more in the Sony camp !

Four! That’s impressive. If you have a PS4 (ideally Pro) you’re looking to offload on the cheap in the near future...I may be interested 

Of the official announcement videos, I watched Microsoft’s and thought they showed off the Series X console superbly well. Showcases all of its features really well. By comparison, Sony’s effort was nowhere near as in-depth or Interesting.

However, I have just seen some of their recent announcement looking at games. My word, they have smashed it out of the park. An amazing mix of upscaled PS4 classics, launch day games and massive titles coming up in the next year. Massive turn in the tide, if only just in my thoughts

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

PS5 is impossible to get hold of... Anyone know a way? 

Nope, they sold out within seconds - you'll do well to get one before the spring now unless you're willing to spend 3x the money buying one off an ebay reseller ?

Archived