• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

What could it be?

Aliens?

Its hollow?

Made of cheese?

Whatever it is the announcement will take place at 5pm in the UK on Monday 26 October.  Audio will be streamed live on its website.

I've just watched QI.

So maybe after all its made of quicksand like they thought in the 60s. Which was why the apollo moon lan landing craft had gig circular feet.

Or maybe Trump has just signed a bigly new trade deal. Its fantastic.  So much wealth. So good for everybody......?

Great to see the interest in space. This will almost certainly be some kind of announcement about lunar water or ice. We already know there's (lots of) ice inside permanently shadowed craters at the poles, but other moons in the solar system come with significant subsurface oceans, some with more water than on all of the Earth. Maybe subsurface ice has been positively identified away from the poles or, much more dramatically, maybe tidal heating could allow the possibility of a subsurface ocean on the Moon!?

I read an interesting paper earlier this week suggesting there have been two periods in the Moon's (early) history when it might have been habitable for simple organisms. We live in fascinating times as the new field of astrobiology takes off. Trump is trying to get people back on the Moon by 2024. The sooner the better!

Remember, this is 2020, so the news is almost certainly that they’ve discovered an alien base on the far side of the moon, they’ve made contact, negotiations have broken down, and the aliens plan to annihilate us on Tuesday. 

or, the moon has spun off its orbit and is hurtling towards earth. Bruce willis’s secret attempt to blow it up has failed. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great to see the interest in space. This will almost certainly be some kind of announcement about lunar water or ice. We already know there's (lots of) ice inside permanently shadowed craters at the poles, but other moons in the solar system come with significant subsurface oceans, some with more water than on all of the Earth. Maybe subsurface ice has been positively identified away from the poles or, much more dramatically, maybe tidal heating could allow the possibility of a subsurface ocean on the Moon!?

I read an interesting paper earlier this week suggesting there have been two periods in the Moon's (early) history when it might have been habitable for simple organisms. We live in fascinating times as the new field of astrobiology takes off. Trump is trying to get people back on the Moon by 2024. The sooner the better!

@Carl Sagan just out of interest do we know what that water is like on other planets including the moon? Is it saline like our sea water, for example? Could we drink it if it melted? And what is it’s prime importance? Is it important to help sustain future habitation or is it important because of what might be in it - microscopic life for example? 

Despite the jokey post I have a keen interest in space.  It will be interesting to learn what the announcement is and if it is indeed water, whether it will help us establish a base on the moon enabling us to head off further into space - or at least allow us to stage more unmanned missions to increase our knowledge.

I wasn't born when we first landed on the moon, if we do go back in 2024 I'll be staying up all night to watch!

No idea if it was crackpot or not but I read an article a few weeks back saying there was evidence that the moon was older than the earth?

Archived