Frank Lampard: Was he any good for the Club?

i-Ram

When Lampard signed on the dotted line, I doubt even in his wildest dreams he would have thought about being Chelsea manager the following summer.

If any manager came to Derby in the Championship and sees this as the pinnacle of their career I wouldn't want them anywhere near the club. All managers should have the ambition to one day manage at the top of the Premier League. 

When you look at the names of managers being thrown about as possible Cocu replacements, not one of those would reject Chelsea if they came calling after 12 months, so accusing Lampard of only being here for the short term is incredibly harsh, especially when Cocu is already the 9th longest serving manager in the Championship having just started his 2nd season.

Why should managers be thinking of a 5/10 year plan when clubs and fans are only willing to give them just over 18 months?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He always had his sights higher than here  EVEN IF HE HAD GOT US PROMOTED  ...can't blame him for that 

Negatives  losses to Burton ,Bolton , Rotherham Millwall  and others of that calibre  

Not going for Tammy Abraham  possibly he didn't want him 

Picking wrong side at Wembley 

Positives beating Man Utd ,Southampton ,   the hard luck story when playing Chelsea 

a few great league wins that season  2nd leg play off will always be remembered 

Reflecting back didn't do a bad job in his first ever management role 

9 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

He always had his sights higher than here  EVEN IF HE HAD GOT US PROMOTED  ...can't blame him for that 

Negatives  losses to Burton ,Bolton , Rotherham Millwall  and others of that calibre  

Not going for Tammy Abraham  possibly he didn't want him 

Picking wrong side at Wembley 

Positives beating Man Utd ,Southampton ,   the hard luck story when playing Chelsea 

a few great league wins that season  2nd leg play off will always be remembered 

Reflecting back didn't do a bad job in his first ever management role 

The two Burton defeats in 18/19 must have been so bad they've been removed completely from my memory.

Our defeats under Frank were:
Leeds x 3
Millwall x 2
Rotherham
Bolton
Villa x 3
Stoke
Sheffield United
Forest
Blackburn
Chelsea
Brighton

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

The two Burton defeats in 18/19 must have been so bad they've been removed completely from my memory.

Our defeats under Frank were:
Leeds x 3
Millwall x 2
Rotherham
Bolton
Villa x 3
Stoke
Sheffield United
Forest
Blackburn
Chelsea
Brighton

To many defeats  ...  The burton away defeat 3 - 1 ?

No he was a pure chancer who was reliant on 3 loan players mainly, signed alot of rubbish and contributed to where we are now. Can stuff his ducking bounce up where it doesn't shine. At the time I liked him being here despite some really shocking performances and poor tactics at times but looking at it now he has contributed to our league 1 bound state. 

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

No he was a pure chancer who was reliant on 3 loan players mainly, signed alot of rubbish and contributed to where we are now. Can stuff his ducking bounce up where it doesn't shine. 

Well said... F - - k  him  the smarmy ****** him ?

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

I liked frank.

we’ll never agree with every decision by any manager but I thought he was good.

Enjoyed the season for sure,and will never forget the night in Leeds for the play-off semi,however i still think the side he picked at Wembley was designed not to take us to the premier league as that would of cost Chelsea a hell of as lot more in compensation than we received for him

I don't know if he was any good for us although the ride with him while it last until Wembley was exciting. 

If you look at it now he's definitely gained more out of his time and experience with us then we have from his legacy.

Until we actually achieve promotion we will always be prone to manager using us a stepping stone to further their careers

On 10/11/2020 at 21:12, kevinhectoring said:

spot on     and if he had won us promotion, I don't think he would have taken the Chelsea job     

all our promotion would have meant was that Fat Frank could have asked for a few more million pounds from Abramovic for his burger addiction...

On 11/11/2020 at 13:37, Marriott Ram99 said:

No he was a pure chancer who was reliant on 3 loan players mainly, signed alot of rubbish and contributed to where we are now. Can stuff his ducking bounce up where it doesn't shine. At the time I liked him being here despite some really shocking performances and poor tactics at times but looking at it now he has contributed to our league 1 bound state. 

On 11/11/2020 at 13:40, neil62uk said:

Well said... F - - k  him  the smarmy ****** him ?

Thats harsh lads.

He brought in players because Mel allowed him to & he wanted to go up, as we all did. Can definitely criticise his signings in hindsight & the short termism of the loans but it was a gamble that I didnt see many questioning at the time. Obviously didnt pay off but our current financial woes were as much to do with Rowett's and Clement's reign. 

Id also point out the guy contributed 2k of his own money to contribute to Reg Harrison's memorial...the only ex-manager who put his hand in his pocket.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Thats harsh lads.

He brought in players because Mel allowed him to & he wanted to go up, as we all did. Can definitely criticise his signings in hindsight & the short termism of the loans but it was a gamble that I didnt see many questioning at the time. Obviously didnt pay off but our current financial woes were as much to do with Rowett's and Clement's reign. 

Id also point out the guy contributed 2k of his own money to contribute to Reg Harrison's memorial...the only ex-manager who put his hand in his pocket.

Please read my first comments ?

Archived