Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

12 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

One has pedigree at this level,one doesn’t! Austin is 6’2” tall,Marriott is 5’8” so I wouldn’t use “not dissimilar” in my assessment.

Pedigree at this level has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make, I'm more talking about how they play on the pitch. Austin is taller sure but my previous impression is he's a player who's going to look to run onto through balls and lurk in the box, not physically compete with the centre backs and look to hold up the ball/link play. He could well be better than what we have (although I'm not completely convinced on that front) but I'm not convinced he's the style of striker we need.   

One caveat is that I'll fully admit to it being a while a go since last seeing Austin play and I'll be happily corrected by someone who's kept a closer eye.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

How dare you! 

What you mean the over the hill guy, the German second division guy that no one had heard of, or the striker who never scores? 

I've done a little wee just typing this! 

Jim White ain't a patch on you. 

17 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Recent Charlie Austin Stats :

2019-20 (Championship) ................34 games; 10 goals; 2 assists; 5 yellow cards; 0 Red cards

Look at least we know he can score goals at this level - I like his attitude on the pitch, he will get stuck in.

if he’s a Ram in 2 minutes or 2 weeks on Friday, I’ll support him no matter. If Cocu likes him and he wants to come then who are we to argue 

Not particularly happy if this is true. Times are hard and I don’t see why we need to sign a player who is plainly past his best. Have we not learned anything from our past mistakes? A loan it may be but would still cost a fee and wages.

Whittaker is emerging rapidly, Waghorn is seemingly close, Wazza is getting fitter and Marriott, ahh... i see.

Anyway I would far rather we spent any available cash on some young up and coming striker with potential resale value. Just saying...

12 minutes ago, dlm77 said:

Thats tosh, he has dual nationality, German and Turkish so no permit required.

All players from outside UK/Eire will need work permits from Jan 1 under current plans as we will be outside the EU and have apply the rules uniformly. Players already here get work permits for the extent of their contracts.

I suspect that transfer fees and wages are about to sky rocket again.

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

All players from outside UK/Eire will need work permits from Jan 1 under current plans as we will be outside the EU and have apply the rules uniformly. Players already here get work permits for the extent of their contracts.

I suspect that transfer fees and wages are about to sky rocket again.

I don't think they have announced the criteria yet though to qualify permits.

Brentford's transfer policy will be screwed if they don't allow EU signings that are not full internationals to come in.

4 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Not particularly happy if this is true. Times are hard and I don’t see why we need to sign a player who is plainly past his best. Have we not learned anything from our past mistakes? A loan it may be but would still cost a fee and wages.

Whittaker is emerging rapidly, Waghorn is seemingly close, Wazza is getting fitter and Marriott, ahh... i see.

Anyway I would far rather we spent any available cash on some young up and coming striker with potential resale value. Just saying...

From what i understand it would not be a loan , WBA will release him and we will negotiate a short term deal until January. But who knows ?

48 minutes ago, Terry Hennessy said:

It seems like Charlie Austin is the one. Whether it's til Jan or a season long loan we'll have to see. That said I'm sure that DCFC will NOT be spending stupid money (a) They've learned their lesson (b) We have no money to pay stupid wages any more. No fans = no income. For me Austin will provide something we don't have ATM ie a big CF who will cause defenders problems - who has experience of the Championship. Whether Derby go back in for Durson in Jan remains to be seen.

You still have to get the ball to him though. 

Just now, rammieib said:

Brentford's transfer policy will be screwed if they don't allow EU signings that are not full internationals to come in.

They have announced draft proposals and players like Dursun are a million miles away from qualifying. 

Oddly, it will help clubs with very strong academies. We could well be laughing, but Brentford could struggle as you say.

1 minute ago, Woodley Ram said:

why will he need a work permit

Because the UK will no longer be part of the single market, so freedom of movement ends. This puts EU citizens who want to work here in the same category as non-EU citizens. For footballers, that means needing a work permit.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Quite right, I would expect visa/permit problems for professionals plying their trade outside of the EU, however we shouldn't experience this for a german citizen, especially if a contract exsists.

Archived