Bobby Duncan - Signed 3 year deal

BulloRams

What's the single most important attribute we are looking for in a striker? Physical attributes? Technical ability? Level they've played at? Goals scored?

There's an argument to be made for any of these. What I will say is that players who know how to score goals and do it regularly from an early age, tend to score goals all through their career. A lot of people have called for Austin or Sharp in recent weeks. Why? Because, first and foremost, they score goals. They've been a pain to play against for so many seasons, to us and many other teams, becuase they score goals. I'm not sure either are right for us this season, as they look a bit like Nuge towards the end of his time here. But I'm not against loaning an experienced striker for this season.

Bobby Duncan, if he can get back to playing at a level his early promise suggested, will do one thing well. Score goals. He may not be at the level this season, but by next year he could be a real talent for us. Simply because he knows where the goal is. I dont care if his goals are tap ins, as long as he scores them regularly enough.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, r4derby said:

What's the single most important attribute we are looking for in a striker? Physical attributes? Technical ability? Level they've played at? Goals scored?

There's an argument to be made for any of these. What I will say is that players who know how to score goals and do it regularly from an early age, tend to score goals all through their career. A lot of people have called for Austin or Sharp in recent weeks. Why? Because, first and foremost, they score goals. They've been a pain to play against for so many seasons, to us and many other teams, becuase they score goals. I'm not sure either are right for us this season, as they look a bit like Nuge towards the end of his time here. But I'm not against loaning an experienced striker for this season.

Bobby Duncan, if he can get back to playing at a level his early promise suggested, will do one thing well. Score goals. He may not be at the level this season, but by next year he could be a real talent for us. Simply because he knows where the goal is. I dont care if his goals are tap ins, as long as he scores them regularly enough.

Good post and agree

what I will add is they still have to be used correctly as what’s gone before is no guarantee 

take our jack Marriott 

last season, had mount, Wilson and Lawrence up close buzzing around him ... he scored goals 

he’s scored goals everywhere he’s been, usually playing off another striker but we made it work

this season where’s he’s been a lot more Isolated and he’s seemingly been expected to contest and hold up the ball a lot more as opposed to playing in behind where he’s at his best 

I remember when forest had big Gareth Taylor under Colin calderwood ... scored goals everywhere he went, calderwood decided to stick him out wide shock horror the big lad was a massive flop 

This all goes back to my current gripe with cocu ... u either play Marriott off someone or with support around him or u drop and sell him 

as a lone Isolated striker he doesn’t give us anything that other types of striker would 

12 hours ago, europia said:

Sounds like one for the future if all goes well. A bit of a gamble as he doesn't seem to have set the world alight at Fiorentina. Maybe Italy didn't suit him? Obviously not a like for like replacement for Chris Martin, so it will be interesting where he plays if he makes the first team squad. 

Could be wrong, but I'm guessing we will be relying on Waghorn / Marriott to deliver for the best part of the season. 

Jimmy Greaves, the best finisher I ever saw, only lasted 12 games in a Italy but he didn’t do too badly for Spurs when he returned to England.

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Basically my view. Some players have purple patches and score a lot in a season but we need a striker who has always scored goals even if they are now older and slower. Kieffer Moore was the ideal choice for me so as near to him as.possible. most top scorers have a guy who plays him most of of his assists. Rooney could do this maybe I've and Jozwiak but no other obvious candidate with us at present. Holmes, Knight and Sibley could contribute but someone tailored to the striker generally works best. I would go for 6'4" and very difficult to knock off the ball. Kemar Roofe or Woods type from lower leagues or Sharp and Austin type. A battering ram is useful in attack and defence. Derby can lose games simply because they are not ruthless in attack or defence. We miss Keogh's determination and drive. His absence is glaring.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Good post and agree

what I will add is they still have to be used correctly as what’s gone before is no guarantee 

take our jack Marriott 

last season, had mount, Wilson and Lawrence up close buzzing around him ... he scored goals 

he’s scored goals everywhere he’s been, usually playing off another striker but we made it work

this season where’s he’s been a lot more Isolated and he’s seemingly been expected to contest and hold up the ball a lot more as opposed to playing in behind where he’s at his best 

I remember when forest had big Gareth Taylor under Colin calderwood ... scored goals everywhere he went, calderwood decided to stick him out wide shock horror the big lad was a massive flop 

This all goes back to my current gripe with cocu ... u either play Marriott off someone or with support around him or u drop and sell him 

as a lone Isolated striker he doesn’t give us anything that other types of striker would 

Our issue has been not having players that can go past defenders to create space and get in behind teams hence the need for a target man to play off.  Joswiak, Laurence, Sibley and a fully fit Ibe will hopefully change the game for us.  Still need the target man option but Jack will also get his chances.  Jack just needs to get his mojo back and build confidence - hopefully last weeks goal will be the start.

49 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Jimmy Greaves, the best finisher I ever saw, only lasted 12 games in a Italy but he didn’t do too badly for Spurs when he returned to England.

Jimmy Greaves didn’t last long in Italy because he couldn’t settle. Just like Ian Rush. It is more likely Bobby Duncan couldn’t settle and got homesick. A lot of British players do. I’m Spain and Italy it is very different. Gareth Bale struggled because the squad didn’t go out to eat until 11pm because that is the Spanish way. He was reportedly in bed by this time.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/Derby-county-3-1-liverpool

Highlights of said game here, although he doesn't feature much. Bit of wardrobing 3 1/2 minutes in and the goal's a tap in.

Wardrobing at 3:41?  Looked like @angieram and her other half to me.  Disappointed LFC didn't namecheck her so we could all be sure!

44 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Our issue has been not having players that can go past defenders to create space and get in behind teams hence the need for a target man to play off.  Joswiak, Laurence, Sibley and a fully fit Ibe will hopefully change the game for us.  Still need the target man option but Jack will also get his chances.  Jack just needs to get his mojo back and build confidence - hopefully last weeks goal will be the start.

He’ll only get his mojo back if cocu gets players closer around him 

15 hours ago, David said:

Really? He was in the news a fair bit, his agent making a plonker of himself trying to force a move out of Liverpool. Hardly an unknown.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I have not only heard of him but also seen him play against our under 18s. He scored. But we won 3-1 and Whittaker scored 2. Just saying before we all get hyped up about him just because he was at a 'big' club. 

image.thumb.png.962e41b5f38b13caddee246354ece4a2.png

I agree about scoring goals, and Morgan Whittaker scored even more that season than Bobby Duncan.

I hope they both do very well for Derby, but I recall the stick that Whittaker got (and is still getting) when he didn't immediately net for our first team. Just let's give him a chance to develop before we start writing him off. 

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

Jimmy Greaves didn’t last long in Italy because he couldn’t settle. Just like Ian Rush. It is more likely Bobby Duncan couldn’t settle and got homesick. A lot of British players do. I’m Spain and Italy it is very different. Gareth Bale struggled because the squad didn’t go out to eat until 11pm because that is the Spanish way. He was reportedly in bed by this time.

Showing my age but Joe Baker and Denis Law were the same, sometimes it just doesn’t work out .

50 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree about scoring goals, and Morgan Whittaker scored even more that season than Bobby Duncan.

I hope they both do very well for Derby, but I recall the stick that Whittaker got (and is still getting) when he didn't immediately net for our first team. Just let's give him a chance to develop before we start writing him off. 

I’ve got no concerns about Whittaker, you can see the steady progress he is making. Rolls-Royce of a player. What I like about him is when he shoots it’s never hit and hope, he is always looking for that bottom corner (bit like a Baiano used to do). You can tell Cocu sees something in him.

Archived