Mason Bennett

Tiverton Ram

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tiverton Ram said:

Because he started the game v Peterborough does this mean Cocu wants to use him next season? Would be surprised after the incidents last season.

Millwall looked set to buy him but it seems they've signed the inferior Parrott on loan instead. Maybe they still want Bennett as well?

Given our small squad and limited options on the wings and at CF Bennett looks set to remain a Derby player. If he puts in some good performances in the next couple of friendlies then we may choose to keep him.

His main contribution used to be his effort for the Derby he seemed to love. But if that isnt there due to events dont see point of him. Even if he bags 20+ goals dont think I will like him again. People talk about waghorn's misses and it just being the right time for martin to move on well both of these more than apply to Mason. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I do think the feeding frenzy needs to calm down a lot. I'm amused by the difference between how Bennett and Lawrence are being treated by supporters.

I think his last effort in driving past pride park wishing for it to burn down was the final straw for him in many supporters minds (whatever his flimsy excuse st the time)

1 minute ago, sage said:

I do think the feeding frenzy needs to calm down a lot. I'm amused by the difference between how Bennett and Lawrence are being treated by supporters.

I think the majority of people who were behind Lawrence were also happy to support Bennett (see Preston at home where his reaction was absolutely fine), until his silly video which seems to me to a be a bit of a straw that broke the camels back. In isolation, a very nothing incident, but on the back of Joiners gate it showed a complete lack of self awareness or contrition.

Lawrence, Reading incident aside, has largely performed excellently since the incident. Bennett made a video saying he wanted the stadium to burn down, so we may as well be comparing apples and pears.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Millwall looked set to buy him but it seems they've signed the inferior Parrott on loan instead. Maybe they still want Bennett as well?

Given our small squad and limited options on the wings and at CF Bennett looks set to remain a Derby player. If he puts in some good performances in the next couple of friendlies then we may choose to keep him.

I think I'd rather have Parrott than Bennett to be honest. Very highly thought of at Spurs.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Lawrence had same Or worse when he played for us to start with after the incident without the video. I think many on here didnt seem surprised re Lawrence and also accepted that we didnt really know how his mum's death may have affected him but having "one of our own" involved seem more of a disappointment. 

I very much doubt it. I suspect he was playing purely to keep his fitness levels up, in order to persuade potential suitors to buy him. I don’t think incidents last season are anything to do with why we want rid either - I think it’s simply the case that Cocu doesn’t rate him/ doesn’t believe he fits into his style of play. Hopefully we can find another championship club willing to pay the 500k that Millwall wouldn’t, and they take him off our hands.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think the majority of people who were behind Lawrence were also happy to support Bennett (see Preston at home where his reaction was absolutely fine), until his silly video which seems to me to a be a bit of a straw that broke the camels back. In isolation, a very nothing incident, but on the back of Joiners gate it showed a complete lack of self awareness or contrition.

Lawrence, Reading incident aside, has largely performed excellently since the incident. Bennett made a video saying he wanted the stadium to burn down, so we may as well be comparing apples and pears.

Agreed, after the drink driving incident, I was happy to give both Lawrence and Bennett another chance, and Lawrence has taken that chance and I have forgiven him. Would have done the same with Bennett, but the stupid video was the final straw in my opinion.

I don't think your inference follows a logical thought process. Just because he played in the game against Peterborough doesn't mean that Cocu wants to use him next season.  

Apart from the facts that he's totally injury prone, a very limited footballer and has the predilection for posting incendiary items on social media why else wouldnt a sensible manager want to retain his services.

Which ever “mate” leaked that private joke has screwed him over here, awful timing.

Our fans are angels, never share a risky joke in private that would not look good if it went public so it’s understandable how he’s being judged.

The lad went out on loan, I could instantly tell it was a joke, but my sensitivity levels are a little low when it comes to humour.

Doesn’t matter what he does or doesn’t do on the pitch now, the timing of that leak has pretty much ended his career here. 

Maybe if he is given a chance, empty stadiums wouldn’t be a bad thing for him....although saying that even his wonder goal at Wigan was labelled by some as a fluke.

The same people that continue to reel of goals to years stats when he first broke into the first team whilst he couldn’t play away midweek as he still has school.

Fairer stat would be to look at the minutes on the pitch and in which position, but who cares about being fair when we’re on the internet.

He’s actually not a bad player to have around if he could stay fit.
That will be his downfall, some bodies just can’t hack it, Kieron Dyer, Jack Wilshere.... not that Bennett has shown to be anywhere near their level, just an example of players who’s careers never went as far as they could have due to injuries.

Millwall had an option to buy, sure I read they didn’t take it due to injuries.

Feel for the lad to be honest, yeah he’s been stupid, doesn’t deserve to be punished forever for it, just not sure where he goes from here.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Which ever “mate” leaked that private joke has screwed him over here, awful timing.

Our fans are angels, never share a risky joke in private that would not look good if it went public so it’s understandable how he’s being judged.

The lad went out on loan, I could instantly tell it was a joke, but my sensitivity levels are a little low when it comes to humour.

Doesn’t matter what he does or doesn’t do on the pitch now, the timing of that leak has pretty much ended his career here. 

Maybe if he is given a chance, empty stadiums wouldn’t be a bad thing for him....although saying that even his wonder goal at Wigan was labelled by some as a fluke.

The same people that continue to reel of goals to years stats when he first broke into the first team whilst he couldn’t play away midweek as he still has school.

Fairer stat would be to look at the minutes on the pitch and in which position, but who cares about being fair when we’re on the internet.

That will be his downfall, some bodies just can’t hack it, Kieron Dyer, Jack Wilshere.... not that Bennett has shown to be anywhere near their level, just an example of players who’s careers never went as far as they could have due to injuries.

Millwall had an option to buy, sure I read they didn’t take it due to injuries.

Feel for the lad to be honest, yeah he’s been stupid, doesn’t deserve to be punished forever for it, just not sure where he goes from here.

I agree with much of what you say and that injuries will prove to be his main problem but has he actually apologised for the burning of the stadium comments?

16 minutes ago, David said:

As long as his wages reflect how often he can play I have no problem with him staying.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I agree with much of what you say and that injuries will prove to be his main problem but has he actually apologised for the burning of the stadium comments?

Think he put a tweet out clarifying it was a private joke.

Don’t think he needs to apologise, think he’s owed one if anything from his “mate”

Archived