Your part in creating history

Chester40

Anyone done anything really major? Played a part in something big? Got an interesting perspective to give to mere mortals on a major event?? 

Eg climbed Everest (not talking about completing a 10K) and thought it was easy or bailed at base camp?

Attended the World Cup final and left early it was so boring or celebrated through the night with strangers, stood in the crowd at Live Aid and hated it because there were no toilets? 

What is the big thing you have played a part in and your view on it..? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a horrible feeling that this thread is going to turn into something like those bloody awful “splash of the bold” adverts that make me want to throw the television out of the window.

p.s I have never done anything of any significance whatsoever, and even if I had , I probably wouldn’t remember it. 

Actually I just remembered, I have won a couple of awards for buildings I designed including the 2009 Derby City civic trust building of the Year. Does that count?

I once climbed all the way up the 80m (c. 260ft?) chimney stack that led from the furnaces of the "amputation dept" of Hammersmith hospital... For no other reason than we could... We took our lunch up with us!  :-) 

It swayed a bit(!), and the views of old London Town were fantastic, but yeah you're right, it was no Everest!    

Sith Happens

This is a could have been I think...

when I was young I was part of a team who took part in a competition to put an experiment on the space shuttle. 

it was a worldwide competition and we got to the last 16

obviously we didn't win, but the winners went up in January 86.....

I'm glad I didn't 'wonder' if I'd made history that day.

A remarkably depressing thread concept ? 

If I become an evil dictator in the future I want everyone to know now that it was because of how this thread made me feel.

Didn't get blown up by the IRA thanks to needing the loo!

Worked at a shop in the old Main Centre next to the Army Careers Centre. Running a bit late leaving for work, but knew that I'd need the loo in the next hour. Roadworks on Osmaston Road so I thought it best to go before leaving home, rather than take the risk. Ten minutes later the IRA detonated a bomb about three feet away from the very toilet that I'd have been sitting on. A real Sliding (toilet) Doors moment.

17 hours ago, froggg said:

Working as a nurse and nhs manager, like to think I’ve had a major effect on people’s lives, therefore history. 

In a similar way fostering and working in primary and secondary schools and on holiday playschemes had a impact on many peoples lives,including coaching several professional footballers and saving kids from a lifetime of crime or prostitution.

However my biggest impact on History is persuading MM to sell real ale at Pride Park.

10 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Didn't get blown up by the IRA thanks to needing the loo!

Worked at a shop in the old Main Centre next to the Army Careers Centre. Running a bit late leaving for work, but knew that I'd need the loo in the next hour. Roadworks on Osmaston Road so I thought it best to go before leaving home, rather than take the risk. Ten minutes later the IRA detonated a bomb about three feet away from the very toilet that I'd have been sitting on. A real Sliding (toilet) Doors moment.

I had a Big Mac in Warrington Mac Donald’s the day before the IRA put a bomb in the cast iron bin outside. Weird feeling but I don’t suppose it changed history. 

Archived