Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

3-0. Goal assisted by Gordon

Seeing as Mrs Lurker had decided to watch episodes 1 to 463 of Schitt's Creek tonight, I watched this, effectively for free on Bin Dippers FC's TV channel.  The final score of 3 - 0 reflected Liverpool's superiority, although on chances a score line of 4 - 2 would probably have been more accurate.   Kade Gordon showed himself to be a class act, but was helped by some lousy defending from us both for his goal and also the third one.  Our players thought the second goal was offside (or possibly handball) but unfortunately the ref didn't.  

We played 3-5-2.  Of the individual performances for us:

In goal, Alfie Roberts made several good saves, but his distribution was pretty dodgy.  This wasn't helped by us insisting on an extreme form of Cocu ball, passing it round in our 18 yard area regardless of the hordes of Liverpool players lying in wait.  In the back three Harrison Solomon was was class act and our best player overall.  Hugo Jinkinson was calmness personified, but this didn't stop him giving the ball away regularly.  In between them was Nelson Aideyan, who I see from GoC's post is an under 16.  He is certainly a big lad, so is going to be impressive when he stops growing.  To start off with he tended to kick the ball the way he was facing, but was better in the second half.  He was replaced by Kane Ryan, who was even taller.

Our two wing backs both did quite well.  Riley Moloney looks very accomplished, while Rhys Brailsford certainly showed some aggression, scything down one of the Liverpool players in a way that brought back happy memories of Bruce Rioch at his best.    In midfield, Seb Thompson was OK.  Cian Kelly started brightly but faded badly, reappearing only to miss a good chance in the second half.  Harry Hawkins was the most interesting.   The game passed him by for most of the time, but when he got on the ball he used it really well.  Presumably he is only 15(?) at most, so let's hope we can keep hold of him.

Up front, Bartol Cybulski was unfortunately slow in thought and action, while Malik Mothersile was greedy and missed a great chance when it was 1- 0.  We played better after he was hooked.  Jack Rogers came on and looked quite bright but lightweight.  Reece Davies also appeared briefly.

The coverage was done using only one camera with no replays, so it was a bit like watching the game standing in one spot throughout.  I realise that there are a number of good reasons why Rams TV can't show many games live, but it would be great if coverage could increase in some way.

A lot of the more experienced U23 players haven’t played for the U23s recently because of their involvement with the first-team squad.

Now that the Championship season is over, and with the U23s concluding their season tonight against Manchester United, it’ll be interesting to see if any of the fringe first-team U23 players feature or if Pat Lyons sticks with the U23 squad who lost 2-6 to Man Utd only last week. 

Edited by Stuniverse

2 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

A lot of the more experienced U23 players haven’t played for the U23s recently because of their involvement with the first-team squad.

Now that the Championship season is over, and with the U23s concluding their season tonight against Manchester United, it’ll be interesting to see if any of the fringe first-team U23 players feature or if Pat Lyons sticks with the U23 squad who lost 2-6 to Man Utd only last week. 

Yes, I wondered if Sibley and Ebosele in particular might want to play. They've had very few on the pitch minutes in recent weeks. 

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, I wondered if Sibley and Ebosele in particular might want to play. They've had very few on the pitch minutes in recent weeks. 

I somewhat hope they're treated as first team players and can go enjoy their end of season rest.

The U23s team tonight will likely be with a look at next season.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I somewhat hope they're treated as first team players and can go enjoy their end of season rest.

The U23s team tonight will likely be with a look at next season.

Ebosele put on his instagram it was "home time" so I'm assuming he's gone back to Ireland for the summer, so like you said, will be enjoying the end of season rest.

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I feared this was the case when he wasn't included in any first team squads despite our injury crisis. 

I hope he gets a club as I feel he has a decent shot at a lower league career.

He certainly has the right attitude to make it in the EFL. It's been clear for a while that he wouldn't break into the first team, so he's made the right choice in moving on. Hopefully he finds a club where he will get regular football, even if he does need to drop into non-league for a season or two.