Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

4 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Would the league played in by the the U23s and U18s, etc., be affected if the first team were relegated to League 1?

Only if we choose to drop to Cat 2 status.

U23s have guaranteed their Division 1 status for next season. The U18s are divided between North and South and do not have relegation.

On 16/04/2021 at 21:30, Ghost of Clough said:

I forgot the U23s were also playing tonight, hence why Cresswell and Shonibare in particular were missing from the first team.

With a severely depleted U23 squad, the young Rams struggled and ended up losing 3-1 to Brighton despite leading 1-0. Cresswell with the goal.

Yates, Bardell, Bateman, Cashin, Williams, LThompson, Aghatise, Wilson, Shonibare, Plange, Cresswell.

Clarke, Borkovic and Duncan came off the bench.

Yes, I forgot the U23s were playing and that kind of explains Conor Dixon being a surprise on the first-team bench. Left the U23s stretched between fulfilling this fixture and filling out the first-team bench. Given that this was away in Brighton and the U18s were away in Blackburn the following day there wasn’t really an option to involve more U18s and, as it was, the U18s had to use Trialists and U15s to fill out their squad.

Cashin was captain and the U23s were a player short on their bench with Sykes-Kenworthy our other sub.

From the highlights on the official site, with a Brighton commentator, it sounds like Derby U23s started brightly. At one point the commentator says Brighton can’t get out of their own half, but an own goal, and then a soft goal, and it was an uphill task after that.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/04/u23-highlights-brighton-hove-albion-3-1-Derby-county 

Edited by Stuniverse

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's also a Daniel Cox on the bench. Supposedly a keeper and I'm guessing another from the U15s

That seems a bit odd given that Randle (also a keeper) was on the bench.

Edited by Stuniverse

14 hours ago, angieram said:

OK, so the first team pinch the under 23s, the 23s pick the 18s and the 18s are youngsters. 

Good experience for them so long as they don't get roughed up! 

Not sure where all the u16s are, only a couple in the u18 squad for that game

20 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

Not sure where all the u16s are, only a couple in the u18 squad for that game

No idea, once we get below the under 18s, I have no idea how many separate groupings we have or understand what structures they play in.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

No idea, once we get below the under 18s, I have no idea how many separate groupings we have or understand what structures they play in.

There are about 9 u16s but they don’t seem to be getting any u18 game time apart from Riley Maloney and Reece Nicholas. The U16s hardly have any games either so they’re not getting much game time.

18 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

There are about 9 u16s but they don’t seem to be getting any u18 game time apart from Riley Maloney and Reece Nicholas. The U16s hardly have any games either so they’re not getting much game time.

Is this down to Covid restrictions?

On 17/04/2021 at 14:03, Ghost of Clough said:

The U18s are currently losing 1-0 to Balckburn at HT.

Roberts

Brailsford   Lissah   Solomon   Grewal-Pollard

Ibrahim   Trialist

Nicholas-Davies   Trialist   Mothersille

Eze

Does anybody have any idea who the U18 Trialists were against Blackburn?

On 19/04/2021 at 01:12, whiteroseram said:

Doesn't the U16 season normally finished really early? I'm guessing they normally have exams etc a lot of them 

The academies aren’t really bothered about that! Most still have fixtures on but have moved the u16s to the u18s to make up the numbers when the 2nd year scholars have been released if they need to or carry on with u16 fixtures.

On 19/04/2021 at 01:12, whiteroseram said:

Doesn't the U16 season normally finished really early? I'm guessing they normally have exams etc a lot of them 

I wouldn’t think so. All footballers are fick don’t you know. Notable exceptions being Messrs Cherry, Hebbard, Francis and Brooking.