Jack Stamps trophy - official POTS vote now open

rynny

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why would we want to turn the POTY award into a farce?

We wouldn't, but with no limit on who can vote and how many times they are asking for trouble. You will get people voting from all over the place just to troll and we'll end up with boaty mc boat face as the winner

27 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We wouldn't, but with no limit on who can vote and how many times they are asking for trouble. You will get people voting from all over the place just to troll and we'll end up with boaty mc boat face as the winner

Or it doesn't matter how many times you vote because it's already been decided and the vote thing is just a placebo.

If it was (current) player of the decade, then Martin would probably get my vote.

Player of the first half of the season? Holmes

Player of January to lockdown? Rooney

Player of post lockdown? Sibley 

Player of January to now? Bird. And YPOTY too.

But it's not. It's player of the year. For me that's got to be Waghorn. No one has scored more goals. He always works hard, whatever position he's in, making unselfish runs. Yes, he's missed chances, but what player hasn't made mistakes? Overall, I think he's contributed most to the team over the year. 

Oh, and Clarke deserves a mention too. I'll give him Loan player of the season. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Or it doesn't matter how many times you vote because it's already been decided and the vote thing is just a placebo.

I did think the same thing when posting. They never release the results, so Mel Morris could have got 10 million votes and they just pick who they want instead.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

I did think the same thing when posting. They never release the results, so Mel Morris could have got 10 million votes and they just pick who they want instead.

Yep. There is no way a competent organisation sets up a vote where the result has some bearing then lets people vote as many times as they want.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think there's a limit on the number of submissions you can make. Hamer's going to win if I keep this going all day...

Boaty McBoatface. Ben McBenface? 

Tough choice between Bird and Clarke for me. Clarke had a difficult start to the season, the Huddersfield game aside, but has performed consistently since and has been our best defender this season. Would just edge Bird though, the maturity and quality he’s shown since becoming a consistent starter in the side has been fantastic. The turning point of our season I believe was when Bird and Rooney came into the side to play in the ‘sitting roles’ and therefore Max deserves lots of credit for our rise up the table.

I voted for Clarke. Struggled first bit of the season like most of the squad but since he came back injury (bloody Yates!!) he’s been immense and since return after lockdown he’s probably been our best player. 7 out of 10 every game, even Leeds where he scored the og. 

Completing my top 3 would be Waggy and Chris Martin, Waggy has had a solid season played every game works his balls off in different positions, he’s the ultimate team player and many such players have won this award over the years it doesn’t always go to the most talented. Martin, what a comeback and definitely in the conversation. 

Others who deserve a mention, obviously Rooney our rise up the table has been no coincidence since his arrival, in terms of outright play though he hasn’t always been the best, it’s more his leadership, moving other players into position and work off the field where he has had the impact. If he’d been here all season I might have voted for him though, my top 3 have played most of the season.

Lawrence has had his best season for Derby, and his stats (which compare well to to the rest of the championship for players in his position) back that up.  I think the top 3 Ive mentioned have had marginally more impact.

Then you’re looking at Bird, Wisdom for what they’ve done in the second half of the season, again if they had played all season they would be contenders.

Lots of solid performers and most encouraging is all those that have emerged in the second half of the season. Bodes well for next season 

I really don’t get the whole Bird thing 

He’s ran the show twice, had a spell from Christmas to lockdown where he was tidy and progressive with the ball and could get out of trouble but post-lockdown he’s been nothing more than safe. 

And yet I’m seeing people compare him to Thorne in his pomp and putting him up for POTS! 

Is it what Rooney said? 

Tactical voting for POTS is just plain wrong.

Martin for sentimental reasons, yeah I can see that. Bird 'cos he's one of ours, I understand that too. And yes, things certainly improved a great deal after Rooney's arrival in January. But the best and most consistant player, over the whole season, was surely Matt Clarke.

Vote for the player that you honestly think is deserving of the award, otherwise the whole excersize is pointless.

>mini rant ends<

A few options.

Bird- one of the first names on the team sheet, vice captain and academy graduate. Has proved he’ll play in the premier league some day.

Clarke- last man standing while everything’s shifted around him, desperately want him back on loan next season.

Holmes, Lawrence, Waghorn and Bogle all have strong cases too...

But it has to be Chris Martin. Mad he’s so slow but has one of the best goal to games ratios in the league. Way too old but has been fit and delivering all season. Has totally lost it but has scored crucial goals all season and racked up assists/key passes.

The comeback narrative has the performance on the pitch to back it up, too much for me to overlook.

Archived