Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I heard a rumour a few weeks ago from someone that apparently knows Holmes that we are looking to sell him. Which I took with a pinch of salt. 

Maybe Cocu's told him that as he won't be first choice in any position he could look for somewhere he'd be guaranteed to start? Isn't this his last year, could be signed up for free in Jan?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe Cocu's told him that as he won't be first choice in any position he could look for somewhere he'd be guaranteed to start? Isn't this his last year, could be signed up for free in Jan?

Tbf neither of them scream promotion side do they.  They are ok but really not quite good enough.  We need better options in attack but whether we can fill them is completely another story

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Anyone else concerned about the lack of attacking depth and quality we have at the moment ,with Martin gone, Marriott injury prone  and Waghorn missing , Lawrence out and Jozefoon ready to be taken back in a Vauxhall Safira as shown by the team we put out 2nd  half we are in  serious need of a few new additions. If we don't sign atleast 2 new attackers I fear we will struggle to improve on last season and finish in the top 6 which should always be the minimum target. Bennett is rubbish and the rest of the younger attacking  players are unlikely to be ready to make  a big impact, I hope we sign atleast 1 winger before the Reading game.

I'd be concerned if you had actually mentioned all of our attacking options but for some reason you have missed half of them.

Wingers? Do you pay attention to how Cocu sets us up? When has he played with traditional wingers?

20 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Tbf neither of them scream promotion side do they.  They are ok but really not quite good enough.  We need better options in attack but whether we can fill them is completely another story

I like Holmes as an attacking midfielder but he's not a winger. 

Waghorn I'm not bothered about. If they want to get rid and replace him then that's fine. 

That blokes misses so many clear cut chances it's criminal. He only got 12 goals last season and he should have comfortably had over 20 when you consider the penalty misses and one on one misses.

We don't learn much do we?

A year ago, Bird needed to be loaned out, Sibley wasn't ready and we had no particular thoughts on Knight.

This year, Whittaker needs to go out on loan, JHI isn't ready, and we have no particular thoughts on Shonibare*.

We have a manager who, as far as I can see, is unsurpassed, in our league at least, in developing talent.  Where and how we start the season is not where and how we'll end it.  Demanding we sign players that could block youth players developing may not be the wisest move.

In Cocu we (should) trust.

*Or another half a dozen players.

18 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

A year ago, Bird needed to be loaned out, Sibley wasn't ready and we had no particular thoughts on Knight.

This year, Whittaker needs to go out on loan, JHI isn't ready, and we have no particular thoughts on Shonibare*.

We have a manager who, as far as I can see, is unsurpassed, in our league at least, in developing talent.  Where and how we start the season is not where and how we'll end it.  Demanding we sign players that could block youth players developing may not be the wisest move.

Quality post

22 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Right on brother!!! ???

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I like Holmes as an attacking midfielder but he's not a winger. 

Waghorn I'm not bothered about. If they want to get rid and replace him then that's fine. 

That blokes misses so many clear cut chances it's criminal. He only got 12 goals last season and he should have comfortably had over 20 when you consider the penalty misses and one on one misses.

Fine, but need a replacement first. Without him (and Martin) we would be relegated through lack of goals.

5 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

What sort of player is Shonibare?

Right footed Attacking midfielder

Can shoot from 25 yards

The love child of jozefzoon and Tom lawrence. 

44 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

By the time the young players came in to the side we were that far off the pace that we needed a miracle to get into the playoffs , another slow start and it will be midtable again, you need a good team from the start of the season its not a good idea to just hope that by the time it gets towards the end of the season they young players will have improved so much that we may get within 5 points of the play-offs if we are lucky.  Nothing wrong with spending money to compliment the youth, its deluded to think we can go up completely reliant on the younger players stepping up becuase some won't be good enough for this level, for every Sibley and bird they are plenty who won't be up to the level we need within the next year or the year after. Not saying we need to chuck money at it , just sign a couple of attackers  which may be on loan or on free transfers to ensure a squad is strong enough in the short term to compete at the top end of the league. Personally I will be very surprised if we don't sign atleast 1 new attacker.

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I heard a rumour a few weeks ago from someone that apparently knows Holmes that we are looking to sell him. Which I took with a picnh of salt. 

Can't be true, cocu has reportedly said he's an important part of his plans. I would be disappointed if he left.

Archived