Test Cricket is Back

sage

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Personally I think it’s a daft rule. The catch was taken cleanly and the ball was held under control. It didn’t hit the ground first and in the spirit of the game I’d say that was a catch.

In a game without telly the batsman would have walked off without a problem.

For me there’s two questions. 

Was Starc able to catch the ball without scraping it along the floor?

If Starc couldn’t catch the ball without scraping it along the floor, should it be a catch?

If the answer to the first question was yes, I have very little sympathy for him. It is completely stupid and he deserves to learn a bit of a lesson. If no then you move to the second question, the answer to which is obviously no.

The way he lands is obviously very relevant and fundamental to the entire sport. If we’re not interested in how people land with the ball then can they take catches stood outside the boundary rope? 

In games without telly, rubbish umpiring decisions are made all the time. We’d have got Labushagne and Smith wrongly about 4 times each this test alone without replays.

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

What a shame that an excellent game of cricket has been spoiled by Aussies cheating. They would probably have won anyway without cheating , so why do they do it?

Nobody was cheating.

The batter doesn't get to decide when the ball is dead. It's the umpire. And he hadn't called 'over'.

5 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

What a shame that an excellent game of cricket has been spoiled by Aussies cheating. They would probably have won anyway without cheating , so why do they do it?

The rules state that the ball and the catcher both have to be in control...so it's not out...Oooo wait a minute 😁

It's not cheating but probably starts the argument of whether it's in the "spirit of the game" as the Indian Women did when they took the bails off of the non-strikers end before bowling. 

I think Johnny needs to be a bit more switched on though. 

9 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Nobody was cheating.

The batter doesn't get to decide when the ball is dead. It's the umpire. And he hadn't called 'over'.

Does an umpire call dead ball after every delivery?

I think it’s not “cheating” (and Bairstow was obviously very stupid) but he’s not gaining an advantage in any way is he, as opposed to nicking a bit of ground at the non strikers end, which a bowler running out is universally condemned.

16 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Does an umpire call dead ball after every delivery?

I think it’s not “cheating” (and Bairstow was obviously very stupid) but he’s not gaining an advantage in any way is he, as opposed to nicking a bit of ground at the non strikers end, which a bowler running out is universally condemned.

It's just not cricket...as the old saying goes.

This isn't parks cricket...it's the Ashes, Bairstow switched off...and he's a keeper, I'd do the same, Has a Gauntlet been thrown down...it has in the Looooooong room 😉