Test Cricket is Back

sage

Superb from Root and Foakes who guided England to the win with the minimum of fuss. Root ended the innings taking 3 boundaries off four balls to ensure that those who braved the elements went home not only seeing a long overdue and quite convincing England win, but also secure in the knowledge that Root's sudden injection of pace means they can claim a refund on the morning's cricket too, with 2 whole balls to spare. Chicken dinner! 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

So pleased for Root. The emotion he showed was probably a reaction to how hard things have been.

Also pleased for Foakes. I hope this is the springboard he needs. He’s our best keeper by far and that can be worth 30 runs, but he needed an innings, and to do it under pressure is an indication of his talent.

Still thing we need Compton in as opener instead of Lees and they should give Brook a go instead of Pope. But England always keep a winning team, even though a couple of individuals made up for incompetence elsewhere (no change there).

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So pleased for Root. The emotion he showed was probably a reaction to how hard things have been.

Also pleased for Foakes. I hope this is the springboard he needs. He’s our best keeper by far and that can be worth 30 runs, but he needed an innings, and to do it under pressure is an indication of his talent.

Still thing we need Compton in as opener instead of Lees and they should give Brook a go instead of Pope. But England always keep a winning team, even though a couple of individuals made up for incompetence elsewhere (no change there).

I thought Foakes actually looked very good today despite playing foil to the majestic Joe Root. He has a very uncomplicated technique and plays with a straight blade which I like to see in test players. Perhaps today can breather a little confidence into him and the side in general.

Bit of a side note, but I really like the way the Kiwis go about their business. On the wrong end of it this test but they always seem to play with a smile on their faces and without the snarling sledging and aggression other sides favour. Good to see England reciprocate too, nice to see the mutual respect.

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I thought Foakes actually looked very good today despite playing foil to the majestic Joe Root. He has a very uncomplicated technique and plays with a straight blade which I like to see in test players. Perhaps today can breather a little confidence into him and the side in general.

Bit of a side note, but I really like the way the Kiwis go about their business. On the wrong end of it this test but they always seem to play with a smile on their faces and without the snarling sledging and aggression other sides favour. Good to see England reciprocate too, nice to see the mutual respect.

Double like there!

Foakes was better because he was being more positive. In his previous innings he has focused so much on not getting out that it took away his natural rhythm.

And yes, the game was competitive but played with a smile.

Should be a great summer of cricket.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Double like there!

Foakes was better because he was being more positive. In his previous innings he has focused so much on not getting out that it took away his natural rhythm.

And yes, the game was competitive but played with a smile.

Should be a great summer of cricket.

One can but hope ?

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm inclined to think that Parkinson might miss out next time, but who knows?

I'd like to think that Moeen Ali might have come into the reckoning - but of course he announced his retirement from test cricket last year.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm inclined to think that Parkinson might miss out next time, but who knows?

I'd like to think that Moeen Ali might have come into the reckoning - but of course he announced his retirement from test cricket last year.

Yes there was a rumour they wanted Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid back, plus Jos Buttler.

Adil would strengthen us but I hope they stick with Parkinson. Leach is bog standard. 

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Would add that I’m missing Bumble and Michael Holding, but that Mark Taylor is a good addition. Likeable chap and obviously very knowledgeable.

David Lloyd always got on my nerves, especially with all the singing. Not sure I've quite taken him seriously since the 'we flippin murdered them' thing. I miss Holding but, like you, I'm looking forward to more Mark Taylor.