Live football thread.

Rev

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As for the final, what a mouth-watering prospect for us neutrals. Perhaps the brilliance of Mbappe can swing it for the PSG but I can't oppose Bayern given their current form. Ruthlessly efficient AND a joy to watch and a club seemingly devoid of the murky goings-on of Real and Barca and the limitless cash coffers of PSG and Citeh, they really are a breath of fresh air.

Bayern is like a team of cyborgs. PSG have more individual talent but Bayern are incredibly well drilled and are just a machine going forward. Can only see PSG choking under the pressure and Bayern getting another Champions League win over the line. Like you say, a breath of fresh air. 51% owned by their fans and only spending what they earn from their successes. Not a hint of oil money about them. Refreshing. 

43 minutes ago, JfR said:

So we're all backing Bayern in the final, right?

Hard to oppose really, aren't they? The dogs were barking right from the off and nearly all the shrewdies I know are on. I'm pretty active on the exchanges but I'm a horrible football punter but a pal of mine who only plays golf and football markets showed me his book on the CL and while his normal strategy is pretty mathematical, this season he went full beast-mode focused on only 2 possible outcomes - he laid the hell out of Citeh and played only Bayern. I almost hate him ? 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Luckily in the inner glory supporter in me can point to my grandad being from Munich and being a Bayern season ticket holder when he was younger as a valid reason to back them, but also the fact that I just really dislike PSG and their oil money being horrible gives it a good reasoning.

Same as without the grandad thing ?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Bayern is like a team of cyborgs. PSG have more individual talent but Bayern are incredibly well drilled and are just a machine going forward. Can only see PSG choking under the pressure and Bayern getting another Champions League win over the line. Like you say, a breath of fresh air. 51% owned by their fans and only spending what they earn from their successes. Not a hint of oil money about them. Refreshing. 

Yikes you're a hard judge ?

In fairness I kinda get your point in that they are like a machine but I think they play great football too. There's not a hint of negativity and they take plenty of risks going forward but they back themselves to not concede too many and outscore anyone anyway. I'd sooner watch them than the Barca side widely heralded as the best cub side ever but I concede most would not agree.

As for your assessment of the structure and running of the club, I couldn't agree more. Sounds corny but to my mind, a win for Bayern would be a win for football over commerce.

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yikes you're a hard judge ?

In fairness I kinda get your point in that they are like a machine but I think they play great football too. There's not a hint of negativity and they take plenty of risks going forward but they back themselves to not concede too many and outscore anyone anyway. I'd sooner watch them than the Barca side widely heralded as the best cub side ever but I concede most would not agree.

As for your assessment of the structure and running of the club, I couldn't agree more. Sounds corny but to my mind, a win for Bayern would be a win for football over commerce.

Only teasing with the cyborg thing, but it's like all German teams. They're always incredibly well disciplined and attack and defend in a perfect way. Stylistically, they are good at everything. Weirdly, at the start of the season they were crap. Under Niko Kovac they were deeply average, Hansi Flick has done an amazing job there. German football does it perfectly. The fact that all German clubs have to be owned and governed by their fan base makes it so much more personal. Bayern is just the perfect model of it, I wish England copied Germany. 

On 19/08/2020 at 23:54, Andicis said:

Only teasing with the cyborg thing, but it's like all German teams. They're always incredibly well disciplined and attack and defend in a perfect way. Stylistically, they are good at everything. Weirdly, at the start of the season they were crap. Under Niko Kovac they were deeply average, Hansi Flick has done an amazing job there. German football does it perfectly. The fact that all German clubs have to be owned and governed by their fan base makes it so much more personal. Bayern is just the perfect model of it, I wish England copied Germany. 

Couldn't agree more bud. Saw a short docco on Union Berlin and their rise and rise to prominence. Having found themselves on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall and having narrowly avoided financial ruin mutliple times. Their fanbase is the most unified I think I've ever seen without the over the top, manic, zealous nature of some Turkish and Latin American sides. They have a rallying point for home games a couple of KM from the stadium and they march with a full band and in full voice too all the way to the ground. It's pretty joyous stuff. 

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Couldn't agree more bud. Saw a short docco on Union Berlin and their rise and rise to prominence. Having found themselves on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall and having narrowly avoided financial ruin mutliple times. Their fanbase is the most unified I think I've ever seen without the over the top, manic, zealous nature of some Turkish and Latin American sides. They have a rallying point for home games a couple of KM from the stadium and they march with a full band and in full voice too all the way to the ground. It's pretty joyous stuff. 

I've been, it's beautiful. Stadium is picturesque.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I've been, it's beautiful. Stadium is picturesque.

I'm jealous! I absolutely love Berlin and go there every few years usually in a big group of guys and girls. It's a really unique city and slightly anomalous  in that the character of Berliners is quite distinct from most German nationals. I keep thinking about catching a game there but I'm pretty much the only sports nut in my immediate group of friends so it's just it's still a bit of a pipe dream. I'm planning to squeeze in a beach holiday before end of year if possible and then Berlin is the next trip probably in Spring 2021 so maybe I'll get the chance then. Any advice would be very welcome!

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm jealous! I absolutely love Berlin and go there every few years usually in a big group of guys and girls. It's a really unique city and slightly anomalous  in that the character of Berliners is quite distinct from most German nationals. I keep thinking about catching a game there but I'm pretty much the only sports nut in my immediate group of friends so it's just it's still a bit of a pipe dream. I'm planning to squeeze a beach holiday before end of year if possible and then Berlin is the next trip probably in Spring 2021 so maybe I'll get the chance then. Any advice would be very welcome!

Of course, give me a shout and I'll do what I can. I was there on a stag weekend and we did Hertha on Saturday and Union on Sunday... saw no goals.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Drunk or stood behind a stanchion?  ?

I’d have taken either. Hertha v Freiburg was the worst game I’ve ever seen. Union game was much better, woodwork hit a couple of times, no idea how it ended 0-0. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watching the Europa game on BT Youtube. Although it's 'Ultimate' it still looks odd, kind of almost slow-mo but not. Is this how streamed matches always look or is it to do with it being via the Youtube app?

Seems smooth enough for me, although I’m watching via the BT’s TV app instead

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Well it says it is and it most definitely is better quality than the HD BT app feed. Try it and see, I'm watching on the tvs YouTube app.

I subscribe through/via Sky. Got it £4 a month. My picture is fine tbf.