Live football thread.

Rev

14 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I've never understood why he doesn't get more time on the pitch. I've always rated him.

Don't think he suits what people "want" from a premier League striker, he's the "wrong type of player"

Disappointing that he was so intent on staying in London, could have been a big player for a team like Everton

What amazes me is the amount of media that blow up Lamps and co backside - quick to give ref grief - some of the state I’ve seen on twitter today.

I would love to see some folk actually take charge of a few football games.....

17 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Olivier Giroud with a lovely, Martin-esque flick for the Chelsea goal.

How @Alpha can love CM but call Giroud a donkey is beyond me.

He wears make up

You can't be a target man and be beautiful. He's a con. 

(I actually think he's improved massively from his early Arsenal days but I can't go back on my assessment without accepting I was wrong. So..)

He's French, he uses every beauty product, he doesn't score enough and if he's not as good as a fit Andy Carroll at what he does. Put Glenn Murray in a Chelsea shirt and Giroud can go back to presenting Big Brother, Xtra Factor and the new Supermarket Sweep. 

15 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

What amazes me is the amount of media that blow up Lamps and co backside - quick to give ref grief - some of the state I’ve seen on twitter today.

I would love to see some folk actually take charge of a few football games.....

I've never really understood why fans hold such a hatred towards referees. Unless they're being lazy or arrogant, why should they be abused for a mistake? What's it going to achieve?

I also think that the idea of the standard of refereeing getting worse is a bit of a myth.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've never really understood why fans hold such a hatred towards referees. Unless they're being lazy or arrogant, why should they be abused for a mistake? What's it going to achieve?

I also think that the idea of the standard of refereeing getting worse is a bit of a myth.

Think everything seeks to undermine them.

Managers/players use them as an excuse rather than look at the game as a whole

Pundits earn their money slagging off people who actually have a proper job

Commentators use them to create drama

And VAR. The saviour of referees. The one introduction that makes it so referees don't have to arrogantly defend their decisions has been so poorly implemented that all it really does is draw even more attention to the specific points managers and players can use as an excuse. 

There are so many things that don't help them. If VAR is going to exist it should be for a ref to review. Not a group decision. Not a national scandal. 

The game is full of divers and cheats. So when somebody dives and cheats we blame the referee for falling for it. How about we blame the cheat and start punishing them. Have a review panel deal with that instead of holding hands in the VAR office. Get rid of cheating on such a huge scale and refereeing gets easier. 

Just now, angieram said:

Not a good start for Notts County. 1-0 down at Wembley already.

However,  I would be surprised if Harrogate can keep up this pace of play for ninety minutes.

Lucky not to be 2 down. Notts central defenders look so slow