Live football thread.

Rev

2 hours ago, JfR said:

Looking very likely that Plymouth will be ending the season on 80 points in League One, but won't make the playoffs. I don't think it's happened before that a team needed so many points to make it into the Top 6 in that league. Hopefully it's not as difficult next season.

Is that indicative of league being difficult, or if there just being a massive gulf between the better teams in the league, and the lesser teams. They must’ve got those points from somewhere, and it’s not from all beating each other, it can only be from hammering the other 18 teams.

Hopefully we’ll be in that bracket of top teams.

And this is a consequence of the ducked up finances in football. You’ve got some ridiculously big clubs down in the third tier now, mixing it among the clubs that are (without sounding too patronising) meant to be at that level. A lot of them aren’t their on merit, they’re there because they overstretched in the championship, and got themselves relegated (either through points deductions, or because of emergency belt tightening or similar).

Is that a good thing for English football, that even the third tier is pretty strong, probably stronger than many other country’s first tiers, or is it a bad thing that the finances are so screwed up?

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Burnley sacking Dyche appears to be doing the trick. Everton in huge trouble now

I can’t see them getting any more than 6 more points. Win against Watford, draw against Leicester, palace and Brentford if they’re lucky. 

Mind you, Burnley’s last 4 aren’t too easy. No gimmes in there. Depends which Villa team turn up I think. I think they only need 1 point and Everton will be truly ducked. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I can’t see them getting any more than 6 more points. Win against Watford, draw against Leicester, palace and Brentford if they’re lucky. 

Mind you, Burnley’s last 4 aren’t too easy. No gimmes in there. Depends which Villa team turn up I think. I think they only need 1 point and Everton will be truly ducked. 

40 points will ensure safety. Leeds and Burnley only need 2 wins. Everton wont win 4 out of 6. I think they're gone.

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Everton and Chelsea having a competition to see who can cheat the most - horrible niggly game…..

Suits Everton more. They have some horrible players in Richarlison and Mins. Proper dirty.

Interesting to see Lampard changing the style of play. I don’t think he will last long there.

Really don't know who's going to go down now. Everton turned up today and really put in a shift when they haven't done in some of the other games. Burnley have had a huge upturn in form and have a favourable run in. Leeds keep picking up the odd point here and there and they always look a threat even if they concede quite a lot. Can't call it.

14 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Really don't know who's going to go down now. Everton turned up today and really put in a shift when they haven't done in some of the other games. Burnley have had a huge upturn in form and have a favourable run in. Leeds keep picking up the odd point here and there and they always look a threat even if they concede quite a lot. Can't call it.

Leeds have lost Dallas who is a good player for them. 

With Everton unexpectedly beating Chelsea (who were rank), they could shift momentum. 

Either way, Everton or Leeds for the drop is quite hilarious... ?