Transfer Windows and Players Contracts

Sith Happens

Just now, Paul71 said:

so surely just a temporary extension is a win win for all concerned 

Depends. Sign a short extension, tear your ACL in the remaining games you could be without a club, money for a long time. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if players are reluctant to sign short extensions, especially when at clubs which have little to play for. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since Martin joined permanently we’ve been a better side with him in no doubt, his touch the way he brings players into the game, winning free kicks taking the pressure off late on, We’d miss him massively 

13 hours ago, angieram said:

I love Waggy and his workrate but prefer him out wide. 

I totally agree - but by July 1st he might be our main option up front unless we go down the line of forget promotion play the kids especially up front, Holmes might get a starting place or jafoozon out wide 

36 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I totally agree - but by July 1st he might be our main option up front unless we go down the line of forget promotion play the kids especially up front, Holmes might get a starting place or jafoozon out wide 

Yes, if the unthinkable happens and Chris Martin goes I would like to see Jahmal Hector-Ingram given a chance. I like his confidence and aggression. Got an excellent touch, too.

Waghorn has scored 12 from 85 shots (1 in 7). 
Of the 13 other players to have scored as many or more, 5 have had worst shot conversions and 8 better (Fletcher, Wells, Mbuemo, Grant, Bowen, Grabban, Watkins, Mitrovic).

Waghorn’s a good enough starter for a side chasing 6th and offers a bit of depth on the wing. 

Marriott averaged 5.7 shots per goal last season. Ignore penalties and he did better than Fletcher, Grant, Bowen and Mitrovic have done so far this season. 
1. Wells 4.1
2. Watkins 4.4
3. Mbueno 4.9
4. Grabban 5.4

Even if you include penalties on Fletcher is added to the list with a better strike rate. 

Hopefully we get last season’s Marriott back after his operation then I don’t think we’ll be missing Martin too much. 

If either of them are holding us to ransom over the short-term extension as they want a better long-term deal, then they can go forth and multiply - we need players who are committed to the cause, not mercenaries looking to line their own pockets.....We've been screwed over too many times to let either player take advantage of the situation....

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn has scored 12 from 85 shots (1 in 7). 
Of the 13 other players to have scored as many or more, 5 have had worst shot conversions and 8 better (Fletcher, Wells, Mbuemo, Grant, Bowen, Grabban, Watkins, Mitrovic).

Waghorn’s a good enough starter for a side chasing 6th and offers a bit of depth on the wing. 

Marriott averaged 5.7 shots per goal last season. Ignore penalties and he did better than Fletcher, Grant, Bowen and Mitrovic have done so far this season. 
1. Wells 4.1
2. Watkins 4.4
3. Mbueno 4.9
4. Grabban 5.4

Even if you include penalties on Fletcher is added to the list with a better strike rate. 

Hopefully we get last season’s Marriott back after his operation then I don’t think we’ll be missing Martin too much. 

Martin's conversion rate?

And I think relying on Marriott to fit into cocus system is pretty naive,it just doesn't work.

16 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Martin's conversion rate?

And I think relying on Marriott to fit into cocus system is pretty naive,it just doesn't work.

Martin's better than all of them. However, he only just manages 1 shot per game, making him less of a goal scoring threat.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Martin's better than all of them. However, he only just manages 1 shot per game, making him less of a goal scoring threat.

How does that work if his goals per minutes on the pitch is better than the others?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's because he's busy setting up others but they never give him the bloody ball back! ?

Ignoring penalties as they skew the figures considerably (for players such as Eze and Benrahma) here's a comparison with the best scorers in the division*:

image.thumb.png.72caff21ffbb5675d195f8a9e0f5430f.png

Marriott from last season sits in the middle of the light green (5.7 shots per goal, 2.6 shots per 90), similar to Martin. I think we could get that Marriott back if he manages to stay free from niggling injuries and we create the type of chance he was getting vs Barnsley.

*Exclusions:
Players to have scored fewer than Martin overall
Players to have scored fewer than Martin in open play

Archived