Transfer Windows and Players Contracts

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Has it been announced what is happening about the transfer window? Does it start 30th June as per any other season or put back until after the season?

Also players out of contract 30th June? Are they still unless they negotiate a new contract? Is it possible Martin for example could feature in a couple of games then leave after the 30th?

I know there was talk about contracts automatically being extended but havent seen the outcome.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Has it been announced what is happening about the transfer window? Does it start 30th June as per any other season or put back until after the season?

Also players out of contract 30th June? Are they still unless they negotiate a new contract? Is it possible Martin for example could feature in a couple of games then leave after the 30th?

I know there was talk about contracts automatically being extended but havent seen the outcome.

If your contract expires on the 30th of June then you have left by the 1st of July 

Martin may well hang around trying to get an acceptable contract but why would we keep Anya? I would also have no problem if Hamer left because we have Roos under contract ( I think) - could we afford to keep Clarke longer ? Do we need Huddlestone longer? Why would we extend a loan of the young lad from Aston Villa if the under 23s aren’t playing? - we may sign him permanently on the 1st of July who knows 

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If your contract expires on the 30th of June then you have left by the 1st of July 

Martin may well hang around trying to get an acceptable contract but why would we keep Anya? I would also have no problem if Hamer left because we have Roos under contract ( I think) - could we afford to keep Clarke longer ? Do we need Huddlestone longer? Why would we extend a loan of the young lad from Aston Villa if the under 23s aren’t playing? - we may sign him permanently on the 1st of July who knows 

I just wondered if they would delay the transfer window and invoke say a 3 months extension to contracts.

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I just wondered if they would delay the transfer window and invoke say a 3 months extension to contracts.

Footballers get a months severance pay at the end of the contract, so they'll be paid in July regardless.

Re Chris and Tom, they are both at the stage of their career where this is most likely their last decent contract so I don’t blame them for trying to get as a good of one as possible. I still think this is about the length rather than the pay. A contract of one year plus an option of another is still potentially a one year contract which is a gamble for them. I guess a straight 2 year would seal the deal 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I can’t see any club doing that especially with so many unwanted players 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Footballers get a months severance pay at the end of the contract, so they'll be paid in July regardless.

I read that they only get paid that if they haven’t found a new club during that time 

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I can’t see any club doing that especially with so many unwanted players 

I read that they only get paid that if they haven’t found a new club during that time 

Yes but I can't see them lining anything up before the end of this month, can you?

Any club who could offer them a contract will be in the same boat as we are.

There’s been no official announcement regarding the transfer window as of yet, but I think the FA are having talks about moving it so it has an August start date and shuts sometime in October. 

RE contract extensions, I think there was some talk a while back about automatic extensions but it was a bit of a non starter, so now an extension until the seasons end has to be mutually agreed by club and player - though of course it’s in the players best interest to extend, otherwise they won’t get paid until August. I think the Derby Telegraph posted an article the other day saying Huddlestone and Martin had agreed to stay until the end of July (so the end of the season), but we’ve told Anya he’s being let go at the end of June - which comes as a surprise to absolutely no one. I’m not surprised no ones really mentioned that article until now mind, as most, like me, tend to ignore the ad ridden telegraph website. 

The next thing we need to deal with of course is extending the loans of Hamer and Clarke until the end of the season. The league has put allowances in place so that can be done, but I think there’s a deadline of around the 23rd June if I recall correctly to get loan extensions signed off. You’d hope it’d just be a formality, but again all parties, including the parent club, need to agree.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The next thing we need to deal with of course is extending the loans of Hamer and Clarke until the end of the season. The league has put allowances in place so that can be done, but I think there’s a deadline of around the 23rd June if I recall correctly to get loan extensions signed off. You’d hope it’d just be a formality, but again all parties, including the parent club, need to agree.

It wouldn't surprise me if we struggle to get Clarke extended.

I can't see any upside for Brighton extending a loan when we wouldn't be in a position to buy him unless we went up, which is unlikely.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we struggle to get Clarke extended.

I can't see any upside for Brighton extending a loan when we wouldn't be in a position to buy him unless we went up, which is unlikely.

I don’t think it’ll be that difficult personally. I would assume we’re currently paying Clarke’s wages, and would continue to do so if the loan was extended until seasons end. It would be a waste of money for Brighton to bring him back and pay his wages when they wouldn’t be allowed to play him, since there isn’t a registration window currently open. The only reason I can see why they wouldn’t allow him to extend his current loan with us if we wanted him to stay would be purely to spite us and damage our promotion chances. I don’t think we’ve ever done anything to Brighton in the past, so I doubt they’d take the financial hit for that reason.

Also FWIW I don’t think it’s entirely impossible that we could sign Clarke permanently next season even if we’re still in the championship. He’s 23 now and imo doesn’t look ready for the Prem. Brighton may look to cash in on him if he’s not looking likely to be of any use to them in the future. The main problem for us would be finding the funds to buy him of course - I’d expect him to cost 5m+ which we may not be willing to spend given the current financial situation. But I don’t think it’s entirely outside the realm of possibility.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t think it’ll be that difficult personally. I would assume we’re currently paying Clarke’s wages, and would continue to do so if the loan was extended until seasons end. It would be a waste of money for Brighton to bring him back and pay his wages when they wouldn’t be allowed to play him, since there isn’t a registration window currently open. The only reason I can see why they wouldn’t allow him to extend his current loan with us if we wanted him to stay would be purely to spite us and damage our promotion chances. I don’t think we’ve ever done anything to Brighton in the past, so I doubt they’d take the financial hit for that reason.

Also FWIW I don’t think it’s entirely impossible that we could sign Clarke permanently next season even if we’re still in the championship. He’s 23 now and imo doesn’t look ready for the Prem. Brighton may look to cash in on him if he’s not looking likely to be of any use to them in the future. The main problem for us would be finding the funds to buy him of course - I’d expect him to cost 5m+ which we may not be willing to spend given the current financial situation. But I don’t think it’s entirely outside the realm of possibility.

We might take him back on loan for another season?

4 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Heck, that's generous and hardly seems to necessary. 

I wish I'd had a one months severance pay at the end of all my contracts.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Yep that’s certainly a possibility as well, though I’d have thought Brighton might want a second loan spell to be with a view to a permanent deal.

No worries if we don't fluke it this season, we're definitely going up next one.

34 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It's not about spite, it's realism. 

Brighton sit 2 points above the relegation zone as things stand.

There's a decent possibility of them being relegated into the Championship next season, if I was them I'd be planning for that possibility.

That would include looking at a player like Clarke with a Championship season in mind.

He signed for a decent whack, was sent out on loan for another years experience at a higher level, and has acquitted himself well enough at this level. 

Why risk an option you may need next season for the sake of a few weeks wage contribution you haven't even budgeted for, given the likelihood of relegation stripping you of a few players in the same position?

Given our likely contribution would be in the ballpark of 40k or so, it would be poor business from their POV to risk him picking up a long term injury during that extra month.

As for us paying money for anyone, forget it unless we see major outgoings, which won't attract the fees we'd have seen even 6 months ago.

In common with the rest of the Championship, we ain't got a pot to piss in under these circumstances.

12 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's not about spite, it's realism. 

Brighton sit 2 points above the relegation zone as things stand.

There's a decent possibility of them being relegated into the Championship next season, if I was them I'd be planning for that possibility.

That would include looking at a player like Clarke with a Championship season in mind.

He signed for a decent whack, was sent out on loan for another years experience at a higher level, and has acquitted himself well enough at this level. 

Why risk an option you may need next season for the sake of a few weeks wage contribution you haven't even budgeted for, given the likelihood of relegation stripping you of a few players in the same position?

Given our likely contribution would be in the ballpark of 40k or so, it would be poor business from their POV to risk him picking up a long term injury during that extra month.

As for us paying money for anyone, forget it unless we see major outgoings, which won't attract the fees we'd have seen even 6 months ago.

In common with the rest of the Championship, we ain't got a pot to piss in under these circumstances.

Fair point, it’s not an angle I’d considered. Do you really think Brighton would do that though? I get that relegation is certainly still on the cards, but it’s by no means anywhere near guaranteed. They’re more likely to stay up than get relegated as things stand imo. Bringing back players to prepare for a championship season might give off the wrong sort of pessimistic message. And, more to the point, I can’t imagine Clarke himself would be very pleased if the chance to play football was taken away from him, just so he could sit on the sidelines for months to avoid injury. I would imagine player power would win over in that situation - though I’m really not convinced it would ever come down to that. Injuries can happen any time, I really don’t think it’ll be that big a consideration. 

With regards to fees, I agree the financial situation has changed dramatically at this level, so we’re unlikely to see big fees. I don’t think that will necessarily mean no one makes any major signings though. If all teams can only afford smaller fees, then the market will adjust to suit. If a takeover goes through before the window starts, we may still have some money to play with, especially if we make the odd major-ish sale.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Bringing back players to prepare for a championship season might give off the wrong sort of pessimistic message. And, more to the point, I can’t imagine Clarke himself would be very pleased if the chance to play football was taken away from him, just so he could sit on the sidelines for months to avoid injury

It wouldn't be doing that though. 

All they'd be doing is sticking to the terms of the original loan, why should they risk an asset on their books for very little return?

10 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It wouldn't be doing that though. 

All they'd be doing is sticking to the terms of the original loan, why should they risk an asset on their books for very little return?

So that the player can get the full “season long” loan he was sent out for. And so that the player has the opportunity to continue playing football. Of course Brighton would be well within their rights to refuse an extension, but I really don’t think they will. Maybe I’ll be wrong, we will see. Personally I think they, and other clubs, will honour the “season long” loans.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think Brighton paid £5 million for him and depending which league they are in might influence their decision for next season but I don’t think he is anywhere quick enough for the premiership and I can’t see any club without parachute money to even consider buying him unless Brighton are willing to take a very serious hit on their investment 

Archived