Which celebrity death hit you the hardest?

41 minutes ago, sage said:

Rod Hull's death hit me the hardest.

I was delivering his daily paper when he fell off the roof; clipping my shoulder with his arm on the way down.

It would have hurt less if said arm had been inside Emu instead of holding his TV aerial  

I see this joke is getting a bad reception.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, sage said:

Rod Hull's death hit me the hardest.

I was delivering his daily paper when he fell off the roof; clipping my shoulder with his arm on the way down.

It would have hurt less if said arm had been inside Emu instead of holding his TV aerial  

That post would have been waaaaay better if you had just said 'Rod Hull's death hit me the hardest.' you killed it by trying to explain a very funny joke.

'Brevity is the soul of wit'

34 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Robin Williams. Was on holiday in Greece when it was all over the papers. Grew up watching his films, a man who made everyone happy was struggling with his personal battles. Made me think about my mental health going forward after that day. Hit me in the gut, you would never think to look at the bloke and ask if he was okay because he was such a warm, positive man. You wouldn't have a clue he was struggling to cope with life. It highlighted the importance of communication when struggling with mental health. It made me talk about life more to my mates rather than joking around.

His death hurt. Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. 

I knew somebody who worked as a sound guy on Hollywood movies.

I asked him who the nicest person he met was an who was the biggest dick.

Kris Kristofferson with Helen Hunt a close second was the latter and RW the former.

He said Williams spent his entire dinner break every day rather than going to his trailer sitting with the film crew and cracking them up.

No airs, no graces, just 'one of us' as he said.

Then a friend of mine who is 6' 7" and lives in San Francisco walked past him one evening downtown and he stopped said 'OMG, you're Robin Williams'.

Williams then did a 10 minute sketch about his height and followed it up by chatting to him and his friend for half an hour like they were friends. That was less than a year before he died.

It's lovely to hear stories like that.

At least I think so.

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That post would have been waaaaay better if you had just said 'Rod Hull's death hit me the hardest.' you killed it by trying to explain a very funny joke.

'Brevity is the soul of wit'

Sorry. I will any further posts past you first.

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

So none, because they are strangers, other than the one who was a stangrer but you heard a nice story about him from another stranger so that meant he wasn't a stranger.

Is that what you're saying?

Mate, do you not think there are other incredible stories about celebs doing really nice things?

The point I was trying to make is I didn’t think a celebrity death would bother Me, it hadn’t before because I thought I had no real connection with any of those people. 

Don’t know if he was a celebrity but I cried when Colin Bloomfield died. Such a waste of a young life. When old folk die I think it’s sad but not tragic in the same way. Colin seemed to be a genuinely good bloke, not egotistical like some, not pushy or sarcastic like some either. I followed his cancer story and hoped against hope he’d beat it. Very sad. 

Princess Di died only a year after my mum and the tragedy of those poor boys losing their mum affected me too. 

Freddie Mercury and Kurt Cobain are particularly memorable ones, but I wouldn't say I was hit hard by them. I was at college when Cobain killed himself, and I remember one particular student was really pained by it, and for days you would see him walking around almost in a daze.

On 10/06/2020 at 09:39, i-Ram said:

Back on topic I have felt the loss of Victoria Wood and Caroline Aherne

I was about to post these 2 as well.

Victoria Wood because I loved her comedy in childhood - I still quote lines from "As seen on TV" now. That show (and later, Blackadder and her follow up shows) formed my sense of humour and gave me the inspiration to write a bit of comedy myself.

I saw her live in Sheffield as a 15 year old and met her after the show. Such a nice person.

Caroline Aherne because I also loved her comedy. She had a sort of haunted fragility to her while being funny that drew me to her - which later of course became clear was due to mental illness.

These are the only 2 I can think of right now that actually made me properly sad when they passed away.

Seeing posts above related to music. I recall being shocked and saddened by the death of rock guitarist Randy Rhoads. Unlike a lot of rock musicians who pass away, his death was not attributed to alcohol, drugs or a general abuse of life but a flying accident. He was just 25.

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

Seeing posts above related to music. I recall being shocked and saddened by the death of rock guitarist Randy Rhoads. Unlike a lot of rock musicians who pass away, his death was not attributed to alcohol, drugs or a general abuse of life but a flying accident. He was just 25.

And Dimebag Darrell from Pantera who was shot on stage. That was terrible and I have a friend who was a friend of his and jammed with him numerous times. He still gets upset about the even over a decade later.

6 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I'm surprised nobodies mentioned Jim Smith,for an old cynical barsterward like me [see previous post] it was a sad passing having met him a few times and he was one of the good guys.

I get where you're coming from, but I think deaths hit us harder when they are totally unexpected. Jim's death was expected.

Maybe others did it too, but I certainly posted that we should call this The Jim Smith Room after he passed. A Derby hero and a bad day for us all, but it didn't hit me hard. It was just very, every, sad.

David Bowie. 

Not only because he was a legend abd incredibly influential but because of the way he knew it was coming and turned it into almost an art form...writing relevant material that talked about how felt and what he faced. 

His bravery brought a lump to my throat. 

Weirdest celebrity deaths...back at the end of 90s was on a big university tour. I'll never forget those words: "Tosh Lyons is dead....and Justin Fashanu".

'Celebrity' death I still can't get over is Grant McLennan from The Go-betweens. One of my favourite bands and the 3 times I saw them were all key points in my 20s. I feel sad that he won't ever get the mass acclaim he deserves.

There have been a couple of Finnish celebrities that have touched me with their passing on but I was surprised by how bad I felt when I heard the news about Anthony Bourdain. I have watched his programmes for years and always liked him but when he died I felt surprisingly bad. It was almost like I had him known myself. 

Archived