Which celebrity death hit you the hardest?

These kind of things tend not to bother me. 

I can remember taking my dog for a walk with Princess Di's funeral was on TV - not that I didn't like her, it just seemed remote from me and I didn't get the hysteria.

I doubt many people in here even know who he is, but Gerg Giraldo dying almost had me in tears ,and Anthony Bourdain really bothered me.

Robin Williams was a bummer as was John Lennon too, but other than that I'm struggling to think of a time where it got me down.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gary Speed suicide hit me quite hard and surprisingly so. Seeing the next games following it, with John Carver and Craig Bellamy in bits was also quite impacting, as was the Bryn Law report on Sky Sports where he revealed he’d texted Speed to tell him he’d heard nasty rumours, then saying he didn’t get a reply, before breaking down on live tv. In fact, I’ve welled-up just thinking about it. 

I found the Amy Winehouse death tragically saddening too. 

Sith Happens

Ayrton Senna.

The whole weekend was full of tragedy, with Roland Ratzenberger losing his life and Rubens Barrichello suffering injuries on the Saturday,

I remember I wasn't watching on the Sunday but had taken my then Girlfriend, now wife, to the coast for the day and it being announced on News on the Radio that Senna had died, i had to stop the car I was in that much shock,

Remember watching the 'highlights' show that evening which was a tribute to the two drivers and still recall it ending with just a black screen with white writing with RIP to the two drivers too.

Even more when you read about the events that occurred around that weekend, Senna's concerns and grief over Ratzenberger's death, him spending the morning of the race consulting with former rival Alain Prost about reforming the drivers association to deal with safety which he was going to lead from the next race, his words of comfort for a worried Georgie Hill telling her Damon would be safe.

I have watched Hill's 'the last team-mate' a couple of times where he revisits Imola, very haunting.

None massively. Over 100,000 humans with families, friends, hopes and dreams die everyday. I don't find it hard to be respectful but unmoved by the loss of the ones I've heard of, considering they tend to be the ones who had the best of life.

The most significant reaction would be over Brian Clough because tales of him had been part of my childhood, and a feeling of disgust at the joy some people expressed when Margaret Thatcher died.

Celebrities don’t really interest me. I always think it’s daft that they get knighthoods just for being on tele etc. 

however I’m always saddened by the loss of any of our players etc from the glory years.

notably clough and Taylor, John robson, Dave Mackay, and les green.

sometimes if I’m passing the church in Leicestershire where Les a Green is buried, I’ll put some flowers on his grave with a card with the ram logo on it so that his family know that dcfc fans still remember and appreciate him.

61D26C79-2701-4C48-8F84-D6D0F1D5B99F.thumb.jpeg.e10c1adecbf215a6e581f43fef4078ea.jpeg

None really affect me as I know none of them personally. In fact the modern massive grief signalling on social media repels me.

I remember where I was when Elvis, John Lennon, Ayrton Senna, Ratzenburger, Princess Diana were announced, but mourning  no!

9 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I can remember taking my dog for a walk with Princess Di's funeral was on TV - not that I didn't like her, it just seemed remote from me and I didn't get the hysteria.

I doubt many people in here even know who he is, but Gerg Giraldo dying almost had me in tears ,and Anthony Bourdain really bothered me.

Robin Williams was a bummer as was John Lennon too, but other than that I'm struggling to think of a time where it got me down.

I was unaware of the sexual peccadilloes of Williams and Lennon but fortunately we are in an age where we are happier such matters are in the open, and to live and let live.

Back on topic I have felt the loss of Victoria Wood and Caroline Aherne and also Pete Shelley and Neil Peart. 

Princess Diana. I will always remember my brothers phone call telling me the news. I just sat watching it on the news in stunned silence. I've been saddened by other celebrity deaths but that's the one that upset me the most.

Can't say any have hit me the hardest. More shock than anything. Princess Di. Michael Jackson. Robin Williams. Prince. Carrie Fisher. Alan Rickman. Barry Chuckle. The list goes on. 

One that does stick out is Heath Ledger because I was driving back from Hillsborough when we had them in a FA Cup replay, and it was on the news on the way back. 

Good thread this. 

There's no logic to pining for someone you never met or never knew but sometimes celebrities evoke feelings of joy or warmth in us which we find comforting. 

I remember being really saddened by these deaths - quite an eclectic mix! 

Tommy Cooper 

Sid James 

Kenny Everett 

Rik Mayall

Amy Winehouse 

George Michael 

Prince 

Bob Willis 

Pretty much in agreement with @King Kevin here. There have been occasions where I've been sad and spent a little time reflecting - Brian Clough, Jackie Stamps, Frank Zappa, John Lennon spring to mind, but death is part of life and we all reach the end of our journey some day.

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm a huge fan of all of Anthony Bourdain's work and I was stood at download festival only for Avenged Sevenfold to announce their dear friend Mr Bourdain had died and it hit me big time as i'd missed all the news reports during the day .

Archived