Home Advantage

Day

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure there's statistical evidence which shows that, in normal circumstances, home advantage is a real thing.

I doubt it's 100% down to the crowd though. If there were to be a larger sample size, I'd still expect the advantage to exist, but probably to a much less significant degree than usual.

There certainly is. Bit surprisingy in Serie A home teams benefits from it slightly more than Bundesliga, which is second on the list. Tiny margins thought. It's damn difficult to differentiate the factors of home advantage, but crowd and its behaviour is theorised to be most significant one.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I have been at home since late March, and I can confirm there is absolutely no advantage whatsoever!  In fact, I'm seriously thinking of playing away, once they let me out again!   ?

You’ve changed your tune from the other week. Has it all dried up now?

Not mentioned so far is that managers tend to set up differently for away games, park the bus, quieten the crowd etc.. I don't follow German football at all ,but was there any noticeable difference in how the teams were set up with no crowd?

39 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Not mentioned so far is that managers tend to set up differently for away games, park the bus, quieten the crowd etc.. I don't follow German football at all ,but was there any noticeable difference in how the teams were set up with no crowd?

?‍♂️

On 24/05/2020 at 15:14, David said:

There is no football without fans, we already knew this as do clubs. 

With the Bundesliga back up and running without fans, just 3 of the 16 games have seen a home win.

Has home advantage been removed with no fans?

Some have always dismissed the effect fans can have on the players, but the Bundesliga experiment is showing teams at home are struggling to overcome teams above them in the table.

Does that not highlight how important our support is, getting behind the team?

You buy your ticket you can sit in silence, rant and rave or get behind them, you’re choice, nobody can tell you how to behave in your seat, but when when Pride Park reopens just remember what football was like without fans. 

Maybe, just maybe we can help get those wins? ??‍♂️

(As I write this, the away team has just gone 3-0 up in the first half in the Bundesliga)

It’s a well researched area in psychology and sports psychology called “social facilitation” and goes back to 1894 when Triplett conducted experiments in cycle racing. There is a clear advantage to the home side but it’s not altogether clear cut what the underlying cause is but is linked to expectations of positive evaluation {of the home side} which boosts arousal and increase the performance of the home side and expectations of negative evaluation {of the away side} which inhibits performance of the away side. It is a contributing factor amongst many contributing factors that determine an individual’s performance and there are individual differences in susceptibility to it as a factor. There are many references to it on Wikipedia and it is a fascinating area of study for those so inclined. It’s all about crowd psychology. Sometimes a hostile home crowd can have the opposite effect thus you often hear away managers say “if we can silence the crowd in the first 20 minutes.. . “

https://believeperform.com/crowd-effects-and-the-home-advantage/

Regarding our crowd we have the numbers, but a lot of the time lack the noise, players respond to positive support.

Unfortunately we sometimes invite the away fans back into the game and the away teams fans respond and their team respond accordingly and then the negativity, the moans and groans take over and all our initial positivity is lost as are the levels of performance given by our players who are only human like ourselves. 

Unfortunately far too many of our crowd believe that as the players are being paid massive wages then whatever positive or negative noises they choose to make has no impact on our players performance.

5 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Regarding our crowd we have the numbers, but a lot of the time lack the noise, players respond to positive support.

Unfortunately we sometimes invite the away fans back into the game and the away teams fans respond and their team respond accordingly and then the negativity, the moans and groans take over and all our initial positivity is lost as are the levels of performance given by our players who are only human like ourselves. 

Unfortunately far too many of our crowd believe that as the players are being paid massive wages then whatever positive or negative noises they choose to make has no impact on our players performance.

Don't agree at all. Having been to quite a lot of away games, our home support is hugely better than a lot of other clubs. Pride Park has one of the best atmospheres in the league, and it translates to the fact that we have one of the best home records in the league too. No idea why Derby fans like knocking ourselves, we're not perfect but we're better than most. Most of the ''famous'' atmospheres in England are a complete myth anyway. Looking at you Elland Road.

On 24/05/2020 at 16:59, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure there's statistical evidence which shows that, in normal circumstances, home advantage is a real thing.

I doubt it's 100% down to the crowd though. If there were to be a larger sample size, I'd still expect the advantage to exist, but probably to a much less significant degree than usual.

I've read a couple of journal articles on crowd impact specifically and the evidence seems to be mixed with different effects in different sports. I think one of the articles i found didn't see a discernible effect in football but did in basketball. 

On 24/05/2020 at 15:14, David said:

Has home advantage been removed with no fans?

I think some of it must be the fans - Leeds must be a horrible place to go and play (and visit, full of Leeds fans innit)

This season we've been far and away better at home - Think we're still 2nd on home form and relegation fodder away? 

But then the flip side is, it's often been said that our fans are 'hard' on the players at home and we don't give enough support - Yet this season they've performed almost every week at our place...

I think as much as the crowds players will feel more comfortable in a place they know, having a night's sleep in their own bed, starting the day at their own training ground etc - There are loads of clubs who still travel first thing in the morning and an hour or two on a bus can't help mental states - So there are probably plenty of aspects to playing away from home which don't come down to the fans too

Plus Schalke (I think that's the game you were talking about?) have been dreadful in 2020 - They seem to have done a Derby-esque collapse mid January 

I am sure the ADVANTAGE is there to some extent especially if the fans are trying to raise the team against certain opposition. 

However the likes of Leeds will be interesting (obviously one of the best teams in this current league) but lets face it, their fans are and always have been very vocal and I would imagine that has an effect on the tea performance. Take that away and who knows how it might effect them.

Derby do have a great fan base, but often the atmosphere can appear pretty flat, so maybe it will play into our hands.  ?

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

I am sure the ADVANTAGE is there to some extent especially if the fans are trying to raise the team against certain opposition. 

However the likes of Leeds will be interesting (obviously one of the best teams in this current league) but lets face it, their fans are and always have been very vocal and I would imagine that has an effect on the tea performance. Take that away and who knows how it might effect them.

Derby do have a great fan base, but often the atmosphere can appear pretty flat, so maybe it will play into our hands.  ?

Leeds atmosphere is a myth. It's only good because they're doing well, a couple of years ago they were averaging 21,000 and not making any noise at all. All hype, nothing to it.

On 24/05/2020 at 16:59, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Statistical evidence? Yep..it's called the league table.

Archived